Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:26:21 PM EDT
Every year my high school holds an art show featuring pieces done in its various art classes. I was in it last year (a one-man show, meaning I get 12-20 pieces featured and get to sit in my 6x10 booth all day rather than go to class, rather than a mini-show, which is 6-8 pieces and you don't spend the time in the show itself) and applied again this year.

The pieces were judged this afternoon, and we were required to pick up our portfolios this evening, but we don't find out whether we're in or not until tomorrow, though the decision's been made. Why? Get ready for the liberal-hippy bullcrap: They don't want to hurt our feeeeeeeliiiiiings. They don't want us to find out and spend the rest of the evening saaaaaaaaaad if we don't get in. Of course, you know, us artists are an unpredictable bunch. We're liable to put on the Fallout Boy or Linkin Park and start cutting ourselves if we're rejected (where's the emo smiley?)

Anyway, though, my art teacher's pretty good. She comes up to me as I'm gathering my portfolio and says "So, I'm not allowed to tell you that you got in. I'm also not allowed to tell you that all the teachers loved all your metalwork, and I'm not allowed to tell you 'congratulations.'

Now I need to get to work designing my 6x10' booth to display my pieces. Any ideas for a pseudo-industrial look, preferably something that won't cost too much and that can be prebuilt in easily-carryable modules? And any idea where I can get a 55 gallon oil drum for not too much? Used is fine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Ooh!  Metalwork!  Pics please.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sorry, my digital camera was 'borrowed' by my mother, currently in Baton Rouge for Mardi Gras.

I'll try to post some pics thursday, though. It's not too special, mostly just copperwork.

Edit: I do have one of the pictures I submitted. It was done in Blender 3d, it's a standard Utah teapot using Blender's particle system to add hair. Fine, brown hair.

Whenever I look at it, I wish I could pet it. It looks so soft...

Warnings: Hairy teapot, 161K image

Oh, it wasn't just metalwork, either. Most of my pieces were computer graphics.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for pics and used 55 gal drums are NOT ok when they were used with Tallow Grease
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
tag 4 pix
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Every year my high school holds an art show featuring pieces done in its various art classes. I was in it last year (a one-man show, meaning I get 12-20 pieces featured and get to sit in my 6x10 booth all day rather than go to class, rather than a mini-show, which is 6-8 pieces and you don't spend the time in the show itself) and applied again this year.

The pieces were judged this afternoon, and we were required to pick up our portfolios this evening, but we don't find out whether we're in or not until tomorrow, though the decision's been made. Why? Get ready for the liberal-hippy bullcrap: They don't want to hurt our feeeeeeeliiiiiings. They don't want us to find out and spend the rest of the evening saaaaaaaaaad if we don't get in. Of course, you know, us artists are an unpredictable bunch. We're liable to put on the Fallout Boy or Linkin Park and start cutting ourselves if we're rejected (where's the emo smiley?)

Anyway, though, my art teacher's pretty good. She comes up to me as I'm gathering my portfolio and says "So, I'm not allowed to tell you that you got in. I'm also not allowed to tell you that all the teachers loved all your metalwork, and I'm not allowed to tell you 'congratulations.'

Now I need to get to work designing my 6x10' booth to display my pieces. Any ideas for a pseudo-industrial look, preferably something that won't cost too much and that can be prebuilt in easily-carryable modules? And any idea where I can get a 55 gallon oil drum for not too much? Used is fine.

If your highschool is anywhere near Lexington, let me know and maybe I will swing by and check out your both.  If my Professors will let me miss another day of class...

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If your highschool is anywhere near Lexington, let me know and maybe I will swing by and check out your both.  If my Professors will let me miss another day of class...

-Ben

...Lexington, Idaho? No, I'm in Virginia, and pretty far in the north of VA, too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, my digital camera was 'borrowed' by my mother, currently in Baton Rouge for Mardi Gras.

I'll try to post some pics thursday, though. It's not too special, mostly just copperwork.

Edit: I do have one of the pictures I submitted. It was done in Blender 3d, it's a standard Utah teapot using Blender's particle system to add hair. Fine, brown hair.

That does look like a very cuddly teapot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

WTF????

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF????

your so banned
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF????

your so banned

That, me droogs, is why you don't whack off while taking pictures of shiny things.

And gardenWeasel, just look at it! It makes me think of my cat's fur. So soft...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Most of my pieces were computer graphics.

Can you tell if these are REAL or FAKE(CG)?

www.alias.com/eng/etc/fake_or_foto/quiz.html

I got 7 out of 10 by luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5/10. The guy who did the BMW has an assured future ahead of him...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

haha i got 10/10

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5/10. The guy who did the BMW has an assured future ahead of him...

I was wondering about that one... if the whole car was CG or just the background.
BTW
Your fuzzy kettle looks pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]
the car is CG

The backgound has some reall stuff but the CG puts it together.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

...Lexington, Idaho? No, I'm in Virginia, and pretty far in the north of VA, too.

Lexington, VA, as in VMI.  I just have never gotten around to changing my location.  But the VA hometown dwellers know me.

-Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top