Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:11:04 PM EDT
i am moving wyoming and the wife wants to come with.  she has a year left of school here in SD to  get her associates in nursing (RN). we are debating the idea of her trying an online LPN to BSN program through Indiana State University.

Does anyone know about this particular program?

Is it legit? i am assuming it is, but i don't want her to get screwed.

Can she work in Wyoming as a nurse when she is done?

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
All of hte above questions you need to go and ask Indiana State University as well as the licensing board in Wyoming.  Then you know the truth and arent being mis-informed by the internet.

On a side note i want to remind you that theres no easy way around education and whenever people try to take the easy way around education they always run into problems when they try to get that job after college.  In the healthcare field there is required labs and internships; so where is she going to do that in Wyoming while attending ISU?  Will ISU accept internships from XYZ clinic in Wyoming or not??? will her education be good to be licensed in WY?  

What i'm basicly getting at is do this the right way.  Go attend a nursing program in WY where the school sets up your labs and internship sites and know all the while that you are getting the required training to be licensed in WY.

Remember, theres no easy way around the education model especially in the medical field.  I know this isnt what you want to hear but i want you to really think about this as i dont want you are your signifigant other to waste time and in the end find out she is incapable of being employed!!!

So things to think long and hard about.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
btt.

Anyone else?

azcactusbrew, I know what your saying, but I also know that many many people have done this type of thing.  I would say that nursing is more of a hands on thing that some other types of degrees.

ISU requires clinicals through a hospital local to the student.  The WY board doesn't give lisenses to grads from out of state, but they do transfer liscenses.  Kinda wierd, she has to get liscensed in another state to practice in wyoming regardless of what she does.

My question is simply if it is a legit school with legit degrees  ISU's website lists the program and my wife is going to get ahold of them today.  We were just looking for people who have been through or are in the program to offer some opinion about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i am moving wyoming and the wife wants to come with.  she has a year left of school here in SD to  get her associates in nursing (RN). we are debating the idea of her trying an online LPN to BSN program through Indiana State University.

Does anyone know about this particular program?

Is it legit? i am assuming it is, but i don't want her to get screwed.

Can she work in Wyoming as a nurse when she is done?
thanks.

Do you mean an RN (Associates) to BSN program?

Or is she in school now getting a LPN, and is interested in an LPN to RN (associates) program?

EDIT:  I start an associates RN program in the fall and am taking some classes with "Bridge" students which are LPN to RN assocaites degree.  They have an 18 month program, have to retake all the A&P/Microbiology/other classes, and work full time and go to school full time.  

Lots of info on programs here:
www.allnursingschools.com/faqs/progtypes.php

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I was in Nursing school until earlier this semester when I decided to take some time off and join the National Guard.

My program is an RN Associates program, and it is definatly not something you would want to try to tackle online. The gap between LPN and BSN is huge, and much of the info covered is best learned in the classroom.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have her finish her Associates Degree at the school she`s at now. She would probably lose a lot of credits and money transferring. Once your wife has graduated, she`ll be eligible to take the NCLEX exam anywhere (assumming her school is accredited). Have her check with her instructors if SD and WY are members of the Interstate Nursing Compact. It may help make life easier for her initially. As for programs, I don`t really know anything about the Indiana U program. Most online programs  can be very challenging. If she`s new to Nursing altogether, your wife would be better off with the support of faculty and facilities of the Community college. It`s much better to have a flesh & blood instructor and teaching facilities then trying to make do via e-mail. A former colleague and co-worker who is a RN with years of experience went the online route for her BSN and was having a difflcult time. I did the community college route and then went to an upper division program for my BSN. Having the dedicated space and time for learning as well as peer support can be invaluable.

I would advise your wife to investigate potential employers in the area of WY you intend to live. See if they have an on-site BSN program. She may want to investigate the the US Public Health Service and Indian Health Service. They may have openings in that area and tend to be very supportive of nurses continuing their education. This can be extra beneficial if she`s native american in background. She will have a lot more options with the Associates Degree and a RN license than immediately going the other route.

BTW, I`m an ER RN with 20 years, 13 in the ER. If you have any questions feel free to IM or e-mail me. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the replies.  I guess we are pretty stressed because she will have to stay here till  next may when i leave in a few weeks.  She gets  from june to the middle  of  august  to come out with me (summer time and she  can do her clinicals where I am), but then she has  to come back to finish school.  it pretty much sucks this way, but i took the job because it is where we want to be eventually and i wouldn't  of had another opportunity like this one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Give food... Wipe ass... Repeat...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

i dont'  get it, give her food?  As in iit is not a big deal and just giver her what she needs to survive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont'  get it, give her food?  As in iit is not a big deal and just giver her what she needs to survive.

I think he was giving you a rundown of the essentials of nursing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The school is irrelevant most of the time. In your situation a state university is a no-brainer, that's ligit. A license is a license once you get it.
I did on line LPN to RN. Regents/Excelsior on line. Compare parices, best of all work as slow or fast as you want, cheaper. I went from LPN to RN in about 7 months.  I did have pre reqs done, though.
Couldn't be happier, when I have to get a BS I will use them again.
Their SITE has a complete catalog you can see or download (at work, it's big)
IM any questions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Although that was probably a joke (no little emotion tag though), it reminds me of my moms dense friend who said "you're a nurse...so you take blood pressures?"
I replied "yes" and changed the subject.
People really do forget that the nurse treating you for something very minor may have just walked in from another room where he/she was responding to a cardiac arrest for a half hour but still needs to come in a "give food...wipe ass...repeat" to your sorry, whiney ass. AND the nurse is probably getting  paid about 3-5 dollars an hour for each of  the 7 patients they are caring for no matter their condiotion.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't find the emotion icon for, "easy cheetah, I'm being a wise ass, it's a joke, wakka-wakka-wakka".
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The school is irrelevant most of the time. In your situation a state university is a no-brainer, that's ligit. A license is a license once you get it.
I did on line LPN to RN. Regents/Excelsior on line. Compare parices, best of all work as slow or fast as you want, cheaper. I went from LPN to RN in about 7 months.  I did have pre reqs done, though.
Couldn't be happier, when I have to get a BS I will use them again.
Their SITE has a complete catalog you can see or download (at work, it's big)
IM any questions.

Well, I know this thread is old, but we are now at the point where it is decision time.  I am currently in WY and the wife is going to finish with her LPN in June.  She has two options.  Stay at the Tech school she is at now for an additional year, or do the same exact route you did.

Obviously the tech school she is at now is the easier decision, but we would be living apart from august to next june while she does her last year.  She would get the summer off and could come out here from june to august of this year, but then she would be there for the school year and I would be here.  We have no kids yet, so that is not a concern.  Just us.

On the other hand, she met with a gal from College Network about Excelsior's LPN to RN degree.  It sounds like it would work out fine for here to do it and be able to live here with me from this june on, but we are nervous about taking that plunge.  The program is recognized by WY and by the national board I believe, but it still sounds kinda wierd.  My understanding is that she signs up w/ College Network and gives them roughly $7k and in return she gets all the materials to study for and take tests through Excelsior. Then she after she passes all the program tests she applies to Excelsior and they give her a degree.

Has anyone else used Excelsior before?  This is a big desision for us, any help would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wow.  Just when you think this site has become saturated with idiots lately...another one chimes in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top