Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:29:23 AM EDT
I have an appointment at a dayspa this afternoon for an hour long massage that I got as a gift. Not counting Sabailand this will be my first real massage. I understand there are several different types of massage I may request ie, deep tissue, swedish, etc. I do not have any back problems however my calves are always really tight and I don't want something too soft but I don't want to be in pain the entire timeeither. Suggestions?? Also the massage is $60 which does not include a gratuity. What is a reasonable tip for a 60 minute massage?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you get the "happy ending", its worth every penny.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+$25
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have an appointment at a dayspa this afternoon for an hour long massage that I got as a gift. Not counting Sabailand this will be my first real massage. I understand there are several different types of massage I may request ie, deep tissue, swedish, etc. I do not have any back problems however my calves are always really tight and I don't want something too soft but I don't want to be in pain the entire timeeither. Suggestions?? Also the massage is $60 which does not include a gratuity. What is a reasonable tip for a 60 minute massage?  Thanks.

First relax.  Getting past a 'strangers' hands being on you will be the first (mental) obstacle (sp?).
If I could afford a massage, I'd get one every week.

Second, when they ask if you want 'happy ending'........the answer is always NO.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Deep tissue!  If you have the extra money do an hour and a half. (this is the norm) Tell him/her of your "problem" areas. (though if they are good they can feel them) It may be painful at first, but you will get used to it, and the results will be worth it! 20% tip just like anything else. Enjoy!!!

AB
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Second, when they ask if you want 'happy ending'........the answer is always NO.

Why?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First relax.  Getting past a 'strangers' hands being on you will be the first (mental) obsticle (sp?).
If I could afford a massage, I'd get one every week.

Ahhhh, come on, do it for the TEAM!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Have you seen the vid?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Drink some extra fluids before and after.  I had a deep tissue massage once and it will release some of the toxins and junk from your mussles into you blood.  I was a little dizzy and sick to my stomach, nothing severe and maybe lasted 30 minutes.  After that I felt great.  She was cute and I got a chub, glad I left my undies on!  No happy ending.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm known to pitch a mighty tent when getting massages, always a fun experience.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#12]
5 dolla, Boom Boom long time!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't be surprised by your pup tent when she asks you to roll over.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Because you don't want happy ending, you want lay down dancing.

SBG
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#15]
You have to be very specific about what kind of gratification you want.  Otherwise they will just rub your back until your time is up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never had one, but here's what I know from others' experience:

Don't ask for a 'happy ending'....simply put an additional $30 on the table next to you during the last 10 minutes of the massage.

Say "you're doing such a great job.....here's something to show my appreciation"

Then roll over and show her your boner.

If it's a guy massuese....tip him $5.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

And request the "warming" lotion.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, definitely go for the 'deep muscle'... much more therapeutic.  Yes, you will indeed feel discomfort, but the way you will feel afterward will be wonderful.  Ditto on the extra fluids.

If you have a choice, you will probably get a better massage from a male therapist quite simply because their hands are larger and generally stronger.  

I teach yoga part time at an all-women's spa .  A couple of the young trainers are going to school for massage therapy.  They come in telling giggly gross-out stories about the (male) massage clients who think they are God's Gift with their *ahem* prominent lower anatomy.  Trust me, they are not impressed, and ridicule the dumb saps unmercifully.

Just think of your body as a piece of machinery going in for a tune up.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
5 dolla, Boom Boom long time!

Had the best massage of my life at the Kunsan AB steam-n-cream in 1986.  And no...I didn't get the "happy ending."  I didn't need it and when I did want one of those it was cheaper at the barber shop downtown.

I had one of my sons friends mother want to practice on me once.  She was going to massage therapy school and well...needed the practice I guess.

Sure, c'mon over and I'll let you practice on me all you want.

It was an okay massage, she hadn't developed a lot of hand strength yet so that was the only bummer.  As such it felt more like kneeding than it did massaging.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm known to pitch a mighty tent when getting massages, always a fun experience.

Hehe, preach it brother!

I like deep tissue/body work. I can't stand that light rubbing. After a while you get an endorphin rush and it doesn't hurt much anymore. Also helps the pain tolerance and limbers up the muscles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#21]
20% gratuity.  Get the deep tissue and don't be a pussy.  Drink lots of water afterwards or you will get nausia.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What does the guy giving you the massage say?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does the guy giving you the massage say?  

He can't reply right now, he's on his way to Lake Tahoe with his "buddy" on a "ski trip."
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does the guy giving you the massage say?  hr

He can't reply right now, he's on his way to Lake Tahoe with his "buddy" on a "ski trip." hr

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Massages are wonderful. I've had both women and men massuers. Either case, the trick is to RELAX. And YES it's a trick. I mean, you're naked (although with sheets covering un-massaged at the moment parts), and a stranger is touching you. It's particularly weird if the stranger is of the same gender <knows what the freaks are thinking>.
All that said, forget the situation, pick music you like from their selection (I go with beach sounds...) and an oil that you like the smell of (or unscented) and just roll with it!
Don't worry about it if you get a hard on. It happens. They know that! (Sometimes being female is REALLY cool--we never have to worry about our body parts thinking for us)
As far as tip: as with ANY service (haircut/waitstaff, etc) 15% for an average job, 20% for an above average job.
Enjoy!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Massages are wonderful. I've had both women and men massuers. Either case, the trick is to RELAX. And YES it's a trick. I mean, you're naked (although with sheets covering un-massaged at the moment parts), and a stranger is touching you. It's particularly weird if the stranger is of the same gender <knows what the freaks are thinking>.
All that said, forget the situation, pick music you like from their selection (I go with beach sounds...) and an oil that you like the smell of (or unscented) and just roll with it!
Don't worry about it if you get a hard on. It happens. They know that! (Sometimes being female is REALLY cool--we never have to worry about our body parts thinking for us)
As far as tip: as with ANY service (haircut/waitstaff, etc) 15% for an average job, 20% for an above average job.
Enjoy!

Now, come on....we all know that if there is a puddle when the woman gets up, its the equivalent of pitching the tent!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Kunsan AB steam-n-cream in 1986.  

from the name of the place, it sounds like happy endings are expected
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I get full body massages all the time from this middle aged German lady. Great hands.
Take a shower before you go or while you're there(no stinky feet or pits. Massage Faux pas), relax, enjoy, and plenty of liquids.
Legit massage parlors have no happy endings. Try that shit and you'll be tossed out of there and/or notified to the cops.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#29]
The Missus is a massage therapist (do NOT start people) and is reccomending if this is your first time to try the Swedish massage ... It's intended for general relaxation and you shouldn't feel any discomfort at all. You can let them know ahead of time that your calves are tight and they'll be able to concentrate a little extra on that area.

Tipping has been correctly assesed by most of the prior responses here, 15-20% is standard. She generally gets 10-15$ tip for a one hour massage (her place charges $65/hr), and is very grateful when the occassional customer tips her $20+.

And there is no such thing as a "Happy Ending" at a Day Spa so don't even think about it ... That's reserved for those scummy places called "Massage Parlors" usaully with names like "Shanghai Health Spa" and "Hong Kong Pleasure Spa".
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That's reserved for those scummy places called "Massage Parlors" usaully with names like "Shanghai Health Spa" and "Hong Kong Pleasure Spa".

Couldn't find those in the Yellow Pages. Got any other names?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If it's a guy massuese....tip him $5.yer ghey

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's reserved for those scummy places called "Massage Parlors" usaully with names like "Shanghai Health Spa" and "Hong Kong Pleasure Spa".

I think Steem & Cream has been covered ... Maybe "Lucky Wang", "I Chi Bang massage" or "Thai Delight"?

BTW, when the Missus was going to school for her craft, she also got training in various skin treatments, scrubs and the like ... Imagine her surprise when she was trying to find information on types of treatments via Google, and she Googled "Home Made Facials".
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
BTW, when the Missus was going to school for her craft, she also got training in various skin treatments, scrubs and the like ... Imagine her surprise when she was trying to find information on types of treatments via Google, and she Googled "Home Made Facials".

AHAHAHA That is priceless

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Steem & Cream has been covered ... Maybe "Lucky Wang", "I Chi Bang massage" or "Thai Delight"?

A place by my house advertises 1hr for $45.  Think it's legit?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AHAHAHA That is priceless

Personally, I have never gotten wood when getting a massage. I talk to the chicks, I sort of feel bad for them when nobody says a word for 1hr, most appreciate this they tell me... I usually zone out the last 20min though and quit talking.

They feel great, you'll love it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've never had one, but here's what I know from others' experience:

Don't ask for a 'happy ending'....simply put an additional $30 on the table next to you during the last 10 minutes of the massage.

Say "you're doing such a great job.....here's something to show my appreciation"

Then roll over and show her your boner.

If it's a guy massuese....tip him $5.

and the guy replys "5 dolla, Boom Boom long time!"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#37]
It always seemed to me that a "happy beginning" would be better, followed by an hour massage!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Wait, I'm supposed to tip the massage lady??

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#39]
[George Costanza] ...it moved. [/George Costanza]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#40]
does the massage lady wear regular clothing or lingerie?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

here is why click on unhappy ending
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yes, definitely go for the 'deep muscle'... much more therapeutic.  Yes, you will indeed feel discomfort, but the way you will feel afterward will be wonderful.  Ditto on the extra fluids.

If you have a choice, you will probably get a better massage from a male therapist quite simply because their hands are larger and generally stronger.  

I teach yoga part time at an all-women's spa .  A couple of the young trainers are going to school for massage therapy.  They come in telling giggly gross-out stories about the (male) massage clients who think they are God's Gift with their *ahem* prominent lower anatomy.  Trust me, they are not impressed, and ridicule the dumb saps unmercifully.

Just think of your body as a piece of machinery going in for a tune up.

+1 on the deep tissue. It really depends on the therapist. I had a slender Ukrainian chick who had hands that could tear you up and a large guy that had a softer touch (kind of creepy) and everything in between. Just be sure to tell them if you like it harder or softer if they are killing you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top