Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 9:01:58 PM EDT
OK, I just had my kitchen remodeled and installed all new appliances. So I think the guy that installed it skipped a step or two. The dishwasher has standing dirty water in the bottom of it and every time I run the dishwasher it smells like a hot, steaming pile of S***. The garbage disposal also doesn't work. Any ideas why this is happening? Is it possible that something is clogged in the dishwasher or is it b/c the garbage disposal doesn't have power running to it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
that happens once in a blue moon in my dishwasher.  Don't know what it is, but I think water flows back from the disposal or something weird like that.

I almost never use my dishwasher, so I don't care - but I want to tag this thread just in case there's an easy fix.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Switching out the disposal isn't that hard if you have a half-decent toolbox, but it's kinda hard to
explain. You can pick one up at Home Depot or Lowes for abt $60 for a 1/3 HP model that does
pretty good. Read the instructions, and it's pretty self explanatory.

Once that is replaced, before you lock it all in place, there is an inlet port on the side where the
discharge water hose from the dishwasher is connected to. There is a plastic plug in that, for those
who don't have dishwashers. Pop that piece out, then plug the wastewater hose from the dishwasher
hose to there.

It'd be my guess that since the disposal isn't working, there is some obstruction to the wastewater
from the dishwasher, so it's not draining properly. That's why it smells like crap.

Just a guess from a semi-edumucated home-tinkerer.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Everything is brand new, so replacing it is out of the question. But Monday when the contractor gets here, I will strategically place my boot in his hindquarters
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
When my dishwasher smells I make the bitch take a shower.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When my dishwasher smells I make the bitch take a shower.

That one isn't broken
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Your air vent line may be plugged.  If it gets plugged then you don't get proper ventilation or drainage.  You should have a hose running from the little poptop dealybob on the bottom up to a vent up on your sink top someplace.  Check to see if both ends are cleaned up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure the flex pipe between the dishwasher and the drain (or disposal) is not kinked or plugged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top