Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 12:23:08 PM EDT
I'm new to DVD recorders. What is the best program to make backups of my dvd movies? And where can I get this program?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Roxio makes software for that....but I don't remember what it's called.  I think it may be "design suite" but I'm not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
AnyDVD as the decrypter and CloneDVD2 as the burner, paid programs that are constanly updated. Even series like Band of Brothers and the Sopranos.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
DVDFab Decrypter (free program), DVDShrink (free program) and Nero Suite Version 6.3 Complete Suite ($18).  There is Version 7.0+ out for Nero, but it will cost you some $$$.  Any version 6.0+ thats a complete suite will work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I second DVD decryptor or DVD shrink, both free. DVD shrink is a bit easier to use. The output will either be saved in an iso format or if they are saved in AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders you can just copy the folders as is to the DVD and you are set.

very simple stuff. If you are using single layer DVD's you are going to need to use DVD shrink for almost all of them to fit them on one dvd (they need to be recompressed).

A simple search will get you download links.

DVD shrink does have its problems decoding some DVDs though...listed at the link below, there are tips there on how to overcome them (it is 3 pages, with the 2nd page showing you how to use DVD-cryptor to overcome those problems)

www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/article_dvdshrink_problem_page1.html

Just use the software that you got with your burner to write the DVD's, no need to buy additional software. I personally have given up on the backup business I just have a really big hard drive where I just store the iso's of all my DVD's on and just use Daemon tools (an old version (pre 4.0) the new version sucks) and just mount the discs virtually essentially giving me a ~50 disc dvd server. It is more expensive that way, but it is soo much nicer making for one cool HTPC.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
i use DVD X Copy. got it from one of those share ware sites. its all i have used for 3 years now and it works great. very simple, one touch "copy" and one touch "burn". about 50% of the movies i copy need 2 disks because i only have a single layer burner (no big deal to me).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Backup backup backup.

Why don't you just cowboy up and admit ya wanna bootleg Blockbuster?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Backup backup backup.

If you rent a movie and wanna make a copy in the privacy of your own home for personal use, there should be no problem, the problem I have is making a profit sure a lot of it is going on but you are stealing. I have DVD's that are treasures to me so I buy a cheap disc and copy it so I wont have to worry about ruining the original.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Backup backup backup.

If you rent a movie and wanna make a copy in the privacy of your own home for personal use, there should be no problem, the problem I have is making a profit sure a lot of it is going on but you are stealing. I have DVD's that are treasures to me so I buy a cheap disc and copy it so I wont have to worry about ruining the original.

From what I understand just breaking the encryption is illegal now...no matter what the reason
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Backup backup backup.

From what I understand just breaking the encryption is illegal now...no matter what the reason

I believe it's been illegal since Slick Willy signed the Digital Millenium Copyright Act into law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Backup backup backup.

Good Christ you have a Flair for the melodramatic.  So you like some movies...don't we all?  They'll all, in all likelihood, be available in some format...probably a better one...in the future.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
DVD Shrink with Nero to burn.

DVD Decryptor for those rare DVDs that Shrink can rip.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Backup backup backup.

ommm, all DVD players have to decrypt them to play, right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]
www.imacheapbastard.com
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Backup backup backup.

ommm, all DVD players have to decrypt them to play, right?

I'm sure they worded the law better than I did..but yeah for the most part breaking the encryption is illegal
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]
DVD shrink and DVD Decrypter are what I use
Nero or Clone DVD for the burning
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
DVD Shrink with Nero to burn.

DVD Decryptor for those rare DVDs that Shrink can rip.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top