Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 2:27:17 PM EDT
So I am finally wireless in my house (actually a high rise).  The number of unsecured connections in our building has me thinking about security.  I am currently using WPA to secure the connection.  The kid who sold me the router said to use MAC addresses to secure the connection, but others I have read said that idea sucks.  Any ideas?  We do quite a bit of financial stuff online so I would like to get to the level of comfortably secure.  

shooter
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info, Im about to go wireless myself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
WEP with 124 bit encryption to secure the WiFi
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't WEP unsecure like hell?

These guys think so
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
WPA/WPA2 are the most secure protocols to use. And hiding your ssid does nothing so dont bother. As for mac filtering, it works but if someone really wants to get in they'll just spoof your mac address and pretend to be your pc or another in your network. Wifi is really never going to be 100% esecially if someone living near you wants in. They have all day and night to listen in and pick up pieces of the WEP key on any protocol you use, WPA simply makes it more complicated and it takes longer to crack. If your really that concerned and are willing to have a slightly slower connection, stick with WPA, cuz I dont think WPA2 has been out longer enough for all hardware and software to be compatible. If your running windows make sure you keep your updates on auto, if your running linux or mac os x you dont have much to worry about. Shared files will be about the only thing vunerable if you have everything setup right but once again thats only if they actually get in.

And BTW with all the unsecure networks around you that you can detect, its WAAAAAY uber more times likely that a h@x0r kiddy would play around with all the free and open internet sources then try to mess with yours.

Your as safe prolly right now as safe can get.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't WEP unsecure like hell?

These guys think so

Wep uses a single hexidecimal key that you have to manually type in to change every so often (a friggin pain) and WPA has a alternating, changing key if Im not mistaken. WPA is way more secure but also a slower connection based on the fact that a bigger header of sorts is sent with each packet (once again, If im not mistaken)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WEP with 124 bit encryption to secure the WiFi

NO NO NO, he's already running WPA, which is much more secure than WEP.  Turning off broadcast and doing MAC filtering are gimmicks, anybody who can get past WPA can get past them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top