Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I knew, about 90% of the population is exposed to HSV I (the virus associated with cold sores) during their lifetime. So I really don't know what the big deal is regarding cold sores.  

SBG
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted sure. I have gotten them since I was about 8 yrs old.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canker sores are not cold sores since they are not caused by the herpes virus, and are not contagious.

You can get canker sores from food allergies, stress, trauma (used to get them from braces when I had them), hormonal changes, and a bunch of other things. They're not something to be ashamed of since you couldn't have caught it from anyone - it's just something your body produces in reaction to some kind of stress or injury.

Really?  I was told by my dentist when I was a child that they were caused by the herpes virus.  

Check out this link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canker_sore

If the pic is like what you had (basically an ulcer in your mouth) then you just had a canker sore. Nothing to worry about except trying to make it heal up.

Me, I can get them from shoveling tostitos in my mouth - especially if I eat them all with the same hand. Sure as heck, a day later there's usually an ulcer there right where every chip was hitting the inside of my lip.

wow, you're right.  I never knew.  Yep, that's exactly what I had.  Nasty

I've had them since I was a little kid also, and it never fails I get one every couple of months. Mainly when I am stressed out about something.

One doctor told me what Wikipedia said, another dentist told me herpes.

I don't worry about it since i've had them since I was a little kid, and I know at the age of 8 I wasn't doing anything with anyone.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last time I knew, about 90% of the population is exposed to HSV I (the virus associated with cold sores) during their lifetime. So I really don't know what the big deal is regarding cold sores.  

SBG

That's what I thought as well. Some people's immune system's just can't suppress the outbreak but most peoples' can. I would bet that most people on this board have that virus in their body, they just don't have a reaction. I've never had one but I probably deserve one
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
ever have chicken pox? ya got the herpes pal, sorry!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_pox
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
herpes, hell no!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't worry about it.

When I was in high school and had braces, I would get them from time to time after banging my mouth on something.  That was before I started having sex, so there's no way it was an STD.

I still get one every 3 or 4 mouth months when I hit my mouth on something or bite my tongue.

Edit - drrrr
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes,

I married her too. It will be 20 Years in May. She gets an outbreak once a year or so. We avoid kissing for about a week, I havent  caught it yet.

No big deal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When I was in high school and had braces, I would get them from time to time after banging my mouth on something.  That was before I started having sex, so there's no way it was an STD.

I still get one every 3 or 4 mouth when I hit my mouth on something or bite my tongue.

what you had was canker sores, not cold sores.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, I am. I got to know her before I knew about that. They only pop up if she gets too stressed out or something, not very often. When it did that just meant no blowjobs and I wouldn't even kiss her on the lips. Kinda sucks, but I want to avoid getting it.

From seeing how common it can be, I wouldn't really hold it against someone.

Now if it was occuring down there, that would be a different story entirely.

If stress is the cause it doesn't sound like the cold sore to me
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still get one every 3 or 4 mouth when I hit my mouth on something or bite my tongue.

I just read all that medical brouhaha on page 2.  Guess you learn something everyday.

I love getting medical advice on the internet!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just read all that medical brouhaha on page 2.  Guess you learn something everyday.

I love getting medical advice on the internet!  

I can't wait for this boards "does this look infected to you" picture thread....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If stress is the cause it doesn't sound like the cold sore to me

The wikipedia article linked above states:

"stress, increased exposure to the sun, viral infections, facial injuries and eating foods high in arginine, such as chocolate, peanuts and walnuts, may increase the chance and severity of outbreaks. In addition, some have found that excessive usage of antibiotics can limit the immune system's ability to keep the disease within the nerve ganglia. Allergic reactions can also trigger an outbreak, chronic herpes genitalis may be caused by a chronic undiagnosed low-level food allergy for example."
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had them on my lip, probably about once a year, since i was a kid. No big deal with teh Gf, we just avoid contact for a while. She has never had one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hell, I get one about every 4 or 5 years.  Neosporin that dude up and its gone in no time.

If Neosporin works, then they are not "cold sores" (herpes sores).

Quoted:
A cold sore does not always mean STD's

If she has a cold sore, it means she is infected with the herpes virus.  If she gives you a BJ and the virus has become active at that time, you may very well get a herpes infection on your dick.

Quoted:
The fact that anyone would use this as a criteria is just ridiculously shallow and sad.

I don't date women with AIDS, either.

I don't see it as shallow.  I've had two genital herpes scares in my life, and both times lucked out -- I'm still testing negative for ever having been exposed to either strain of herpes (since it's a blood test, that means I don't have either of them anywhere on my body).

Herpes isn't a death sentence, at least not for adults, but I'm sure you're well aware that it can cause a risk to babies.  The recent news story about the rabbi who killed one baby and infected two others with herpes (not sure if they ended up blind or not;  this is a risk of infection in infants) due to "traditional" Jewish circumcision rites (where the rabbi sucks the blood away from the baby's dick) should tell you it's no laughing matter.

Hell, you're the one who keeps complaining about all the diseased women in your life.

Anyway, I currently don't have to worry about passing herpes on to a girlfriend (much less a baby if I got her pregnant), and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top