Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/21/2006 7:01:12 PM EDT
By my death I mean the entity waiting to claim our soul all of our lives.

Allow me to preface:
I was born and raised a christian. However, I have been interested in other ideas about religion all of my life. Back in my Marine Corps days I did briefly read on American Indian spiritualism and sorcery.  One of the things I read was that our death is there with us, behind us, at all times through our life. That was about 1977.

Now I am a pretty conservative guy and see plenty of psychopathology as a doc. I am as skeptical as they come but I have had a few isolated experiences thru my life during which I have seen things, had precognitive experiences, visions of a sort, etc.  Very rare, esp during some stages in my life. More common during others.  You could call many of them hunches, intuition, etc. Some were more.

One night last week I was sitting right here at my computer, on ARFCOM of course, and saw a movement out of the left corner of the room.  I looked right at it and it briefly moved(about a full sec, long enough to get a good look) across the side of the room. Dark, shadowy, black, shaggy sort of.  Long enough to make sure I had a good look and then faded right out.

I knew right away what it was and also what it was about. It was a warning.
I had seen it once or twice before.
Why warn me? I have no fricking idea.
Does it happen to others? I have no fricking idea.
If it does, do they realize?

The next day I had to drive to get my son at college and drove almost half of it in a total white out.  Blizzard conditions, winding hilly roads. I'd like to say that I had a few close calls but in all honesty the whole thing was one long close call.

Now I knew to expect something as was possibly more aware.
Or maybe that wasn't it at all but something I have no idea about that came and went.

But I feel compelled to tell others.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
MOTHMAN!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar experience except that I had just woke up and stepped outside to take a piss.  Something tall and dark was at the edge of my vision and I turned a complete circle trying to see it.  Turns out it was an eyelash hanging down at the edge of my eye.  Silly me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Shadowpeople
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
When its time, it time.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
stop drinking the bong water
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
If I said what you just said would you believe me?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats crazy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When its time, it time.

I don't buy that at all, ARDOC.
If I did, I would have never gone into medicine.
Nor would I drive with caution, practice gun safety, etc.

There are a lot of "times".  We dodge most of them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you check the expiration date on your beer?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
 See Signature
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't worry. I saw my death the moment I found out I have Marfans. :P

But to stay on topic: what it means to you is most important. I've seen things like that, but it wasn't what I would call an omen or warning - for me it was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'll save that story, though... this isn't exactly the most paranormal-friendly site.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If I said what you just said would you believe me?

The only people who have ever told me bizarre shit like this were obviously mentally ill.

So no, I don't.

I figured I would get a lot of this kind of shit so it is okay.  I did what I felt I must, tell some others.

Besides, you're all just a figment of my imagination anyway and when I die you will all just disappear.

Just kidding, just fucking kidding....

That's what a psych pt told me once. And more. But he was obviously nuts.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't worry. I saw my death the moment I found out I have Marfans. :P

But to stay on topic: what it means to you is most important. I've seen things like that, but it wasn't what I would call an omen or warning - for me it was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'll save that story, though... this isn't exactly the most paranormal-friendly site.

For me it was a warning, I knew it instantly. As I said, I have been warned before in same fashion.

More than a few other stories, mostly just random shit, intuition, brief vision of something that was going to happen, and did. Once very involved, basically a precognition of an entire evening, every word, every action, etc. Really wierd. And played out like watching a DVD. Halloween Eve '78.

This stuff doesn't ever frighten me either. Ever. Just is. Strange.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't had that full-blown precognition, but I've had moments of "deja-vu" that stretched ahead. I basically knew what was going to happen for the next minute or so. Weird stuff indeed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dark, black, shaggy sort of.

Was it this guy?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it this guy?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/1_23_083105_looters2.jpg

Better check your beer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah, it was probably a sentinel giving you a heads up on your impending doom.  how do i know? i was an intern for the Grim Reaper when i was in undergrad school.   i'd go out with some of the regular sentinels to "enlighten" people--it was pretty fun.  most of our gigs were in rural areas, appalachia mostly, sometimes we'd go see people in and around roswell nm because they are predisposed to believing anything.  i got written up once because i was caught by a national inquirer photographer and was featured on the cover.  the Reaper was kind of a prick around the office, but fun as hell to party with and his wife made the best strudel you've ever tasted.

i'd say you have two weeks left.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When its time, it time.

Yes this is true Kevin, but how many time have you seen people die for no real good reason?  We had people with slight head wounds, croak.  Something simple as a small infection gets out of control and we bite it.  We can avoid a lot and prevent a lot. But when the cards are stacked against you nothing will save you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

all of them but the last one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it this guy?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Shhhh!
What ever you saw say hi for me, and tell the fu&&er to keep out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#22]
3 words

Uzi
Will
Bigbang

Did his voice sound like Adam Carolla? If so, it was Death.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had experiences like this on occasion.  Never saw death.  But people close to me have had dreams that were very applicable to stressful life events, warnings, if you will.

The most common one for me, is having a random dream, and then living it in real time weeks, months, or years later.  I posted about one of them once a long time ago.  I woke up from a dream where I was building a reloading bench in my garage.  Don't laugh........At the time, my wife and I lived in an apartment, I would have never considered reloading at the time as ammo was cheap, and we were not really in any shape to buy a house.  

2 years later, I am building my bench, and it hits me.  The house I had bought, the garage, the surroundings, the material, even the color of the countertop I was working with.....exactly the same.

I have these fairly often.  Maybe that's what I get for playing with Indian religion with my Lakota buddy and his father in high school.  Another strange thing, is that I don't remember my dreams, unless they happen in that "trance" state where you are half awake and half asleep..like when you hit the snooze button and are just kind of hanging on.  

The whackos say that some people are more spiritually aware than others, and on this particular issue, I have to say I believe them.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it this guy?

Holy shit! That's the guy!
And he took all of my damn Heineken!

Yeah, I hope you guys are all having fun!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Besides, you're all just a figment of my imagination anyway and when I die you will all just disappear.

Subjectivists would say that perception creates reality. Therefore, reality only exists within your own mind.

FWIW, I have bouts with precognition. I have vivid dreams where I am having a conversation with someone, for example, and I not only know what they are going to say, but know my response. Feels as close to an out-of-body experience as I can imagine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe you.  I think if we were all truly honest with ourselves we would might remember things ...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
yeah, it was probably a sentinel giving you a heads up on your impending doom.  how do i know? i was an intern for the Grim Reaper when i was in undergrad school.   i'd go out with some of the regular sentinels to "enlighten" people--it was pretty fun.  most of our gigs were in rural areas, appalachia mostly, sometimes we'd go see people in and around roswell nm because they are predisposed to believing anything.  i got written up once because i was caught by a national inquirer photographer and was featured on the cover.  the Reaper was kind of a prick around the office, but fun as hell to party with and his wife made the best strudel you've ever tasted.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#28]
>>>>The whackos say that some people are more spiritually aware than others, and on this particular issue, I have to say I believe them.

if you believe them, do you still think they are whackos?  and if so, what does it say if you believe selected whacko ideas?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it this guy?

Holy shit! That's the guy!

Don't worry. He only signifies death to imported beer and personal hygiene.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When its time, it time.

Yes this is true Kevin, but how many time have you seen people die for no real good reason?

I haven't Don.
Seriously.
I have seen people in poor health give up the will to live and die but that is a different thing.

We had people with slight head wounds, croak.  Something simple as a small infection gets out of control and we bite it.  We can avoid a lot and prevent a lot. But when the cards are stacked against you nothing will save you.

Sometimes.
I have helped far more people back from the brink.

People with slight head wounds dying had more than slight head wounds. Subdurals, diffuse axonal injury, status epilepticus, brainstem herniation due to swelling....
Something.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Now that is damn funny!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#32]
It may be a warning.

But, now you've been warned, and you'll be going kicking and screaming instead of crying and whimpering.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#33]

It's a paintballer's strip, but still...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Maybe that's what I get for playing with Indian religion with my Lakota buddy and his father in high school.  

Same here. Seemed to open a door for me.

One I have tried to close a few times. Or at least ignore. Never bad stuff though. Well, maybe once.

The whackos say that some people are more spiritually aware than others, and on this particular issue, I have to say I believe them.  

Myself also but I would say that whackos are just whackos.  Not hard to tell who they are.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
By my death I mean the entity waiting to claim our soul all of our lives.

Allow me to preface:
I was born and raised a christian. However, I have been interested in other ideas about religion all of my life. Back in my Marine Corps days I did briefly read on American Indian spiritualism and sorcery.  One of the things I read was that our death is there with us, behind us, at all times through our life. That was about 1977.

Now I am a pretty conservative guy and see plenty of psychopathology as a doc. I am as skeptical as they come but I have had a few isolated experiences thru my life during which I have seen things, had precognitive experiences, visions of a sort, etc.  Very rare, esp during some stages in my life. More common during others.  You could call many of them hunches, intuition, etc. Some were more.

One night last week I was sitting right here at my computer, on ARFCOM of course, and saw a movement out of the left corner of the room.  I looked right at it and it briefly moved(about a full sec, long enough to get a good look) across the side of the room. Dark, shadowy, black, shaggy sort of.  Long enough to make sure I had a good look and then faded right out.

I knew right away what it was and also what it was about. It was a warning.
I had seen it once or twice before.
Why warn me? I have no fricking idea.
Does it happen to others? I have no fricking idea.

The next day I had to drive to get my son at college and drove almost half of it in a total white out.  Blizzard conditions, winding hilly roads. I'd like to say that I had a few close calls but in all honesty the whole thing was one long close call.

Now I knew to expect something as was possibly more aware.
Or maybe that wasn't it at all but something I have no idea about that came and went.

But I feel compelled to tell others.

Doc, I believe you.  Seriously, I have had similar instances.  People used to think I was making it up until my fiance (at the time, didn't work out) saw it too one day.  Usually what I see I would best describe as little more then a deeper dark shadow, like there is a hole where something should be, but nothing is actually missing.  I dunno, it is hard to explain, but when it is there you get a very strong feeling of its presence.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#36]
ben? from idaho?  hey long time no see!   i can assure you you have seen something.  i've been to your place on a couple of occasions.   my supervisor (mr. black) used to like to hit you rplace on our way home on fridays.  good times.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
it's just a glitch in the matrix
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It may be a warning.

But, now you've been warned, and you'll be going kicking and screaming instead of crying and whimpering.

No fear is not something I experience much and if you know what my life has been you would believe me when I say I do not fear death. No hurry for sure. but I am sure not going to go crying and whimpering.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#39]
funny post

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#40]
tag

edit: You should have Drawn Down on him.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the excellent bedtime story.

Very interesting that you were warned by the Reaper or one of his underlings, and yet you still undertook a long risky drive in whiteout conditions.  

I have experienced instances of being saved by inuition or a Higher powere, but the day I get a visit from the "Dark Shaggy One" (tm)  is the day I get my affairs in order and spend the rest of the year in bed with one hand on my AR and the other on the Bible.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Physics suggests that time is not really real it is just the way our brains perceive reality.  It would stand to reason that on some level some people may be more aware of the future that traditional science would suggest.  As I understand it not only is there no such thing as time; events are not even sequential but concurrent.  I could be wrong though.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
ben? from idaho?  hey long time no see!   i can assure you you have seen something.  i've been to your place on a couple of occasions.   my supervisor (mr. black) used to like to hit you rplace on our way home on fridays.  good times.

Wrong house! I haven't lived in Idaho for several years, just continue to claim it as home.  Been stationed two places and started college since then.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Thanks for the excellent bedtime story.

Very interesting that you were warned by the Reaper or one of his underlings, and yet you still undertook a long risky drive in whiteout conditions.  

Not really. We each have our own Death with us.
That was my understanding of what I read anyhow. FWIW.

I have experienced instances of being saved by inuition or a Higher powere, but the day I get a visit from the "Dark Shaggy One" (tm)  is the day I get my affairs in order and spend the rest of the year in bed with one hand on my AR and the other on the Bible.

No fear. Just knew to be careful.
I don't think I look at such things the same way others do.  I can't really explain it but I've always had a sense of awareness about things that others seemed oblivious to. Science, nature, etc.

My son is in his second semester of Engineering school and hasn't been home until this past weekend.  He was terribly burntout and wanted to come home. I promised him I would come get him and I did.  Thankfully, the weather cleared about 50% by the time I made the drive back but it was still treacherous. So was the drive back on Sun.  They don't plow the roads much up here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#45]
>>>Physics suggests that time is not really real it is just the way our brains perceive reality. It would stand to reason that on some level some people may be more aware of the future that traditional science would suggest. As I understand it not only is there no such thing as time; events are not even sequential but concurrent. I could be wrong though.

__________________________________________________________________________________

ok now i have a headache.  actually, einstein's special theory of relativity states that time and events therein are....well...relative.  meaning that an event's "reality" is based on the persective of the observer.   there is a lengthy analogy for this but i would sure hate to post it here, however here's a short one:

if subject A is travelling on a bullet train which has accelerated to over 500 mph and subject B is standing 50 feet from the trackand a mile from subject A's train-- and then lightning strikes the track, not only will the perception of the event be different for each subject, but the literal timing of the even t will be different.  you see, as a subject accelerates it is literally slowing the passage of time--up to and including traveling at the speed of light wherein time "appears" to stand still.

what were we talking about again? guns?

if i can drive my car at the speed of light and turn on my headlights, does anything happen?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Will you do anything differently now?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Will you do anything differently now?

No
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I've had experiences like this on occasion.  Never saw death.  But people close to me have had dreams that were very applicable to stressful life events, warnings, if you will.

The most common one for me, is having a random dream, and then living it in real time weeks, months, or years later.  I posted about one of them once a long time ago.  I woke up from a dream where I was building a reloading bench in my garage.  Don't laugh........At the time, my wife and I lived in an apartment, I would have never considered reloading at the time as ammo was cheap, and we were not really in any shape to buy a house.  

2 years later, I am building my bench, and it hits me.  The house I had bought, the garage, the surroundings, the material, even the color of the countertop I was working with.....exactly the same.

. . .

I know exactly how you feel on this one; it has happened to me about 2 dozen times throughout my life. When it happened, it wasn't at an important time, it just seemed to happen at a random moment, like when i looked at something the right way. I never really thought it was anything but an odd coincidence, but when you look at the experience of replaying a moment you already saw, it's almost scary.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Do you ever wonder what the human mind is capable of when it is not overloaded with the everyday garbage,such as tv' surfing the internet and things that really do not matter? Would we be more in touch with nature? Like the animals running to higher ground before the tsunami.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#50]

One night last week I was sitting right here at my computer, on ARFCOM of course, and saw a movement out of the left corner of the room. I looked right at it and it briefly moved(about a full sec, long enough to get a good look) across the side of the room. Dark, shadowy, black, shaggy sort of. Long enough to make sure I had a good look and then faded right out.

I would have shit myself and dumped a mag into death...

J/K Doc. I never actually saw him but, I knew he was watching me on a couple of EOD ops. My hair stood on end and I got a really bad feeling a couple of times, but I think he was keeping me on my toes.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top