Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:57:29 PM EDT
I can only shave my face about 2 times a week. If I do it anymore my skin gets all irritated, red and very sensitive and it looks bad. If I wait about  4  days, then shave it looks and feels great.  I have tried many of the modern razors, electric and also man post/after shave cream. What am I doing wrong? Most guys I know shave almost everyday,  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a shaving profile.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a job with Miami Vice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey dude, I'm the same way. Just sensitive skin, I can only shave about ever other day or every 3 days. I get bad razor burns and shit, nothing unusual man, just gotta be careful.

If you rub baby powder (Yes, powder) on after you shave, it'll cause less irritation.

-Covert
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
In a hot shower ...the steam works wonders with your skin...you will shave much smoother.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The key is hot water and  shave after getting out of the shower. I am on the same Gillette mach 3 for almost a year now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm pretty much .mil (finishing up ROTC on staff- a full time job), so i've gotta shave EVERY DAY and stay shaved ALL DAY.  

Usually I'll shave in the shower with the water REALLY hot.  If that's not an option a hot towel applied right after works wonders, and if THAT is not an option..... suck it up and press on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Your not, by any chance, Dr. House?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
In the shower and with a good/sharp razor.  After suck it up and throw some aftershave or alchohol on it.  It'll burn like hell but it'll help.  The hot water helps to.  Sometimes when I'm shaving I'll shave a part and then put some more shaving cream back over that spot.  Try using the cream with aloe or the stuff for sensitive skin.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Straight razor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in the same boat ... switched to an electric about 5 years ago, and all has been good since. You won't get as close of a shave, but the irritation will be a thing of the past.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the shower

Do it the last thing after you shower--moisture gets everything soft.
Pick up a small hand mirror and go to it

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
For this same reason, I shave only with a beard trimmer.  It looks like a miniature dog clipper.  It has never irritated my skin, and leaves a very slight "shadow".
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have shaved for 35 years, and the last 15 years I have shaved my head... so I consider myself somewhat of an expert.

Rule #1: SCRAPE your face with a terrycloth towel first thing. This gets rid of the oily film that builds up overnight. Do this whether you use a blade or an electric.

Rule #2: Use the same tool for awhile and your face will get  used to it. If you keep changing (between Bic and Schick, or between safety razor and electric) you will butcher your face. I cannot understand just why, but it is so.

Rule #3: I always shave in the shower with lots of hot water. Sometimes I don't even use shaving cream.

Additional suggestion 1: I watched a show once in which a black beautician was shaving a black contest winner. (She was a doll!) Black men have trouble shaving regularly; they break out and get nasty bumps, etc. on their faces. She prepped him the same way I suggested (towel, hot water) and afterward she put a cold compress on his face, followed by an ice cube rub all over the face.

Additional suggestion 2: I LIKE the 'electric safety razors, ' the ones that vibrate the blade as you shave. Gives the blade a little back-and-forth action that saws through the whiskers.

Good luck... and keep lots of styptic on hand!  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For this same reason, I shave only with a beard trimmer.  It looks like a miniature dog clipper.  It has never irritated my skin, and leaves a very slight "shadow".

Thats how I do it.

(Also, whats with all these shaving threads......3 tonight so far.)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I shave before my shower.  The time spent under the hot water seems to reduce the irritation.  It works better than afterwards, at least.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Hot shower: check
Shaving cream:  un-check, not needed in the shower.
Cheap ass razors: check, they will last many months this way
Mirror:  WTF?  Just close your eyes and use the force, what do you expect to see anyway?  You will feel as you shave what you have missed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for shave in the shower.  I bought a shower mirror, and I can't do without it.  Don't use an electric shaver if you have sensative skin.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Try using cornstarch (baby powder with cornstarch) on your face followed with an electric triple header with a micro screen.  Cornstarch soaks up excess oil and provides a dry layer of protection.  Do NOT shove the razor into your face as if you wanted to have your shave as close to being as smooth as a babies butt!  This will burn your skin, like in, razor burn.  Let the razor do the work while you glide it over your skin.  It takes time, say, about 5-10 minutes or so to shave.  A clean shave looks good but does not always feel smooth in all directions.  If you try to get your face perfectly smooth in all directions you are taking off skin layers which can cause the iritation. Then wash your face with hot water in the shower and put on alcohol based splash on after shave- not gel or lotion.  Shave every other day for a couple of weeks and then go to everyday if you want.  BUT, stick to the same thing (equipment) and your face will adapt as mentioned by another well experienced member.  ALWAYS use sharp blades, dull ones will nick you up.  Electrics will last a week or so and then start pulling your whiskers, regular blades will do the same only sooner.  This will work for many, I hope it helps you.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hot shower: check
Shaving cream:  un-check, not needed in the shower.
Cheap ass razors: check, they will last many months this way
Mirror:  WTF?  Just close your eyes and use the force, what do you expect to see anyway?  You will feel as you shave what you have missed.

Yep, cept I use a Sensor razor...  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
The art of shaving

Get the starter kit for $38 and use as directed. I have for the last year and the pre-shave oil works wonders for the skin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Whats this shaving thing all about???

Bob
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a good 3 or 4 blade razor...keep it sharp...use good sensitive skin shave cream...and shave with the darn lights on!  

If I shave with a single or double blade razor, my face gets all jacked up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one of these in my bathroom.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Shaved this moring in the shower, used a preshave lotion, lots of hot steam and the Mach 3 razor that vibrates. It left my skin real smooth, still with some irritation. But my shave was about 25% better.
   I also have noticed that when I have a tan, it is much easier to shave. No irritation at all. I dont know if the tanned skin is less sensesitive or if the tan just hides the redness. I think I may start visiting the tanning salon once a week and see if my shaving improves.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Hot shower

After you're dried off, reheat your face with a HOT moist washrag.  If your skin ain't red, it ain't hot enough.

Use a good shaving cream.

Use a quality blade and make sure you start with a new one.

Shave with the "grain" first, then GENTLY pull your skin and shave against the grain.

NEVER push hard or scrape fast.  Go easy.

If you get your beard soft with the hot water and use a new blade, you should get a good shave and the blade will last almost indefinitely.

I have sensitive skin and a damn tough old beard.  I can't use an electric.  I used to use a straight razor about thirty years ago.  I use a quality Gilette now (others are ok too...) and I get a very close shave...and NO nicks or cuts.  I can't remember when I last changed the blades...they usually just break on my.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top