Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2006 9:16:24 AM EDT
anyone get diesel in their gas tank? well i just did in my 2005 titan. wtf? how does this happen? i was below 1/4 tank and then filled up at a gas station that doesnt even sell diesel, so i didnt grab the wrong hose. not to mention the fact that a diesel nozzle doesnt fit into an unleaded gas tank. too big and has the wrong angle on a the nozzle to fit in the tank im told. after i filled up 22 gallons i drove 300 miles and then all of a sudden my brand new $40,000. truck died on the freeway. wtf? so i have it towed to the dealer and after 2 days they tell me its bad gas. I barely make it to the gas station and fill er up hoping to get the good gas in there. after 1/2 hour it still doesnt run right or even close to right, wont go more than 5mph and sounds like a mac truck. i take it back to the dealer and 2 days later they call me up and tell me there is diesel in my gas. obviously i dont beleive them so i get down to the dealer and they take off the fuel line going into the mainfold and fill up a cup of gas from my truck. they pour it on the ground and light it on fire. the gas burns off and there is a puddle of diesel on the ground. wtf???? so i have them drain and flush the tank and clean the fuel injestors and it still runs like shit. there is no way the truck is driveable. the service guy tells me i need to replace the entire fuel system for 8k. wtf? i had it towed to another dealer for a second opinion. anyone have an experience like this? what did you do? did someone pour diesel in my tank just to be an asshole or did the gas station get the wrong gas in their tanks? but most importantly, how the hell did i drive 300 miles with fucked up gas and then have it die istanttly with no warning?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF.

There's not more to this story?

8grand to repaired the fuel system?

Ummm, the entire drivetrain is probably not even worth 8K.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WTF.

It's a Nissan.  Of course it isn't.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

they take off the fuel line going into the mainfold and fill up a cup of gas from my truck. they pour it on the ground and light it on fire. the gas burns off and there is a puddle of diesel on the ground.

Bullshit. The gas will burn hot enough to ignite the diesel as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I would think a truck like that would have a gas door opener in the car instead of being able to just open it manually from the outside.

If it did, that would eliminate that as a cause.
There would be some type of damage to the gas door area if someone forced it open.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they take off the fuel line going into the mainfold and fill up a cup of gas from my truck. they pour it on the ground and light it on fire. the gas burns off and there is a puddle of diesel on the ground.

Definately.  Diesel ignites pretty easily.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF.

It's a Nissan.  Of course it isn't.

Is the 8k with labor factored in?  I say find your gas receipt and let the gas station pay or it.  Find out the gas distributer and investigate for similar cases around your area.  Call the local news and maybe they can do the digging for you and do some "expose" and use your editied soundbites to drum up "concern" in the community......something.  Hell 8k is alot of money!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You mean you didn't taste the gas before filling up to make sure there it was pure?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
nope you just open it up. When i was at the parts dept at nissan i asked them for a locking gas cap. they dont make one and they said if i use an aftermarket locking cap it would cause the check engine light to come on because it wouldnt seal right.  yeah thats fucked up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
One of the reasons not to buy foreign vehicles. They parts are rare and labor is outrageous!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like something other than diesel.

You should just be able to flush out the diesel and go back to gas.

Diesel can run in a gasoline engine depending on the ratio, but they will likely end up seperating in the tank somewhat and thus causing it to stop running.  The gas engine will have a hard time igniting diesel at a 9-11:1 compression ratio, when diesels are usually 14:1.  But, if there is enough gas in the mix it will ignite , raising the temperature and pressure in the chamber causing the diesel to fire, untill the diesel seperates in the tank and feeds pure diesel or the injectors clog.

But you should be able to just flush it out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well i didnt have it analyzed, but htere was a puddle of some oily substance thet looked like and smelled like diesel.  I have tossed cigs into buckets of diesel and have not seen it burn. i thought diesel had to be under pressure to ignite or realllllly hot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Why does this sound so wrong?   Diesel will burn if you mix it with gas.  Geez it will burn with a match.  something is just not right here.  I would definatly contact the people you bought gas from.  If its a $40k truck it should be a reputable place with insurance to cover it.  perhaps its water? and not diesel.  That would explain the dealer lighting it up and leaving a puddle.  I know when gas prices go up shady dealers here in NY will spike the gas with water and dry gas to increase profits.  Since water is not compressible perhaps it crushed the pistons and fuel system is OK?  Perhaps the factory warranty will cover you then sue the guys you bought the gas from?  Flushing out the water/contaminant should have fixed the problem, none of the fuel system is damaged by water except the filters.  Some filters will clog on contact with water to save the engine.  But then again how many times I've used water injection to clean a really gummed up diry engine?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well i didnt have it analyzed, but htere was a puddle of some oily substance thet looked like and smelled like diesel.  I have tossed cigs into buckets of diesel and have not seen it burn. i thought diesel had to be under pressure to ignite or realllllly hot.

I've thrown a lit cig (on purpose to prove a point) into a bucket of gas and it didn't light. The ciggs aren't hot enough. They just snuff out.

The "test" he did doesn't confirm the presence of diesel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Putting diesel in your gas burning vehicle will make it not go anymore.

Don't ask me how I know.

As far as costs and, repairs, I dunno, but,
just recently a 7-11 here accidentally had diesel put in it's
gas tanks.  

Bad Ju-ju.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lit cigarette butt won't even light a bucket of gas.  BTDT.

Diesel will ignite just fine with a Zippo lighter.  I use it regularly light my wood stove.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought it was gasoline in diesel engines that really fucks shit up.  Also is it true that some military vehicles can take both gas and diesel?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
nope you just open it up. When i was at the parts dept at nissan i asked them for a locking gas cap. they dont make one and they said if i use an aftermarket locking cap it would cause the check engine light to come on because it wouldnt seal right.  yeah thats fucked up.

I use a Stant locking gas cap for my Nissan Frontier and I have never had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a Stant locking gas cap for my Nissan Frontier and I have never had any problems with it.

thanks. will get one
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sounds like something other than diesel.

You should just be able to flush out the diesel and go back to gas.

Diesel can run in a gasoline engine depending on the ratio, but they will likely end up seperating in the tank somewhat and thus causing it to stop running.  The gas engine will have a hard time igniting diesel at a 9-11:1 compression ratio, when diesels are usually 14:1.  But, if there is enough gas in the mix it will ignite , raising the temperature and pressure in the chamber causing the diesel to fire, untill the diesel seperates in the tank and feeds pure diesel or the injectors clog.

But you should be able to just flush it out.

yeah i tryed to flush it for 2 hours before i had it towed to another dealer and if anything it got worse. thats the deal..... it ran fine for 5 hours only stopped once and it just went from running like a champ to me getting off the freeway going 5 miles an hour. i doubt the dealership did something to my fuel but wtf?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I dont think your truck would have gone 300mi with 3/4 diesel fuel in it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Without being there I can't say if you have diesel in your tank, it is hard to say.  However, if you did have diesel in your tank, your injectors should be fine, it is your sensors that might be crap.  The diesel has sulphur and a few other things that will foul your sensors.  

From what you say though, it is probably something else.  What did you do right before it died?  How long had you been driving that day, had you done anything to it right before then? etc...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Without being there I can't say if you have diesel in your tank, it is hard to say.  However, if you did have diesel in your tank, your injectors should be fine, it is your sensors that might be crap.  The diesel has sulphur and a few other things that will foul your sensors.  

From what you say though, it is probably something else.  What did you do right before it died?  How long had you been driving that day, had you done anything to it right before then? etc...

Right before it died? well i drove 150 miles non stop, then went to jack in the box and got out of my truck for about 10 minutes. got back in and drove for 100 miles nonstop and the truck just died out of the blue going 85mph on the freeeway. havent done anything to the truck except change the oil a few months ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Diesel shouldn't hurt your fuel system on your truck, the absolute worse case would require a system flush.  We had a local Shell station here manage to get a load of diesel in their gas tank.  This station is near a yard that several of my customers store their equipment.  That morning, there was a lot of trucks/equipment filled with diesel, made a lot of money that day.

Be real careful with aftermarket gas caps.  Make damn sure the cap you buy is the correct one for your application or you will get the "Check engine" light.  This is a common problem for those that do not always tighten their cap all the way too, so if you get the light, check your cap.  This has to do with the evaporative emissions system on new cars, not just the Jap stuff.

CSM has a good point about your sensors.  Your dealer should have the ability to get a readout of their signals.

All still sounds funny.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Drain the tank.  change the fuel filter(s) and put a can or two of seafoam in.  then fill 'er up with 91 and drive it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Diesel shouldn't hurt your fuel system on your truck, the absolute worse case would require a system flush.  We had a local Shell station here manage to get a load of diesel in their gas tank.  This station is near a yard that several of my customers store their equipment.  That morning, there was a lot of trucks/equipment filled with diesel, made a lot of money that day.

Be real careful with aftermarket gas caps.  Make damn sure the cap you buy is the correct one for your application or you will get the "Check engine" light.  This is a common problem for those that do not always tighten their cap all the way too, so if you get the light, check your cap.  This has to do with the evaporative emissions system on new cars, not just the Jap stuff.

Yeah id be happy for the check engine light to go OFF for once.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in a 1987 Rolls Royce silver spur  it won't. DOA on the road and a huge bill.
1/4 tank of gas to 3/4 diesel like it sounds here. I don't think it'd go far personally.

YMMV but I don't think by much
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#28]
The only way I see that this could have happened is if the station that you filled up at got a load of Diesel instead of No lead.  If that is the case, I am sure there were more than a few complaints and you need to get back there now before they pay off the others and have nothing for you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Drain the tank.  change the fuel filter(s) and put a can or two of seafoam in.  then fill 'er up with 91 and drive it.

Drain it, changing the fuel filter wouldn't hurt, fill with high octane gasohol, (not familiar with seafoam) and it should run ok. Maybe some gas treatment for good measure but the alcohol should help disolve any remnants of diesel. Engine control computer is probably in "limp home" mode also which is going to make it run poorly for a while, don't know whether the computer will reset itself or if a dealer will have to do that.  You might also have some fouled spark plugs.  Gas station probably got some diesel mixed in with their gasoline.

Quoted:
The only way I see that this could have happened is if the station that you filled up at got a load of Diesel instead of No lead.  If that is the case, I am sure there were more than a few complaints and you need to get back there now before they pay off the others and have nothing for you.

Valid point.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drain it, changing the fuel filter wouldn't hurt, fill with high octane gasohol, (not familiar with seafoam) and it should run ok. Maybe some gas treatment for good measure but the alcohol should help disolve any remnants of diesel. Engine control computer is probably in "limp home" mode also which is going to make it run poorly for a while, don't know whether the computer will reset itself or if a dealer will have to do that.  You might also have some fouled spark plugs.  Gas station probably got some diesel mixed in with their gasoline.

Quoted:

Valid point.

well why did i drive for 5 hours straight before it quit on me? im really confused here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#31]
www.nissanforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180

never hurts. The honda forum has been a money saver for me.
they might know on the computer reset and codes without the dealer.

hope it helps.

diagnostic mode for titans + offer of help
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

well why did i drive for 5 hours straight before it quit on me? im really confused here.

I can't answer that except for maybe that the diesel floated on the gas and didn't mix enough to cause damage for a bit.   I just don't know.

Drain it and start with a fresh batch and that should get rid of most of the problems.  Seafoam will help if the injectors got clogged for sure.  None of this will be cause for any manufacturer complaints as far as service contracts.  But I would certainly try everything that I could prior to paying 8 large.  

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't answer that except for maybe that the diesel floated on the gas and didn't mix enough to cause damage for a bit.   I just don't know.

Drain it and start with a fresh batch and that should get rid of most of the problems.  Seafoam will help if the injectors got clogged for sure.  None of this will be cause for any manufacturer complaints as far as service contracts.  But I would certainly try everything that I could prior to paying 8 large.  

Good luck man.

well the service guy told me that the mix burns fine because the computer adjusted to the gas. and something, probably the catalytic converter got plugged up so the engine quit and went into safe mode. and the plugs are fouled.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Thats not a "US" truck.  Better put a filter on the front seat and soak it in gas.  Next light on fire and buy a new truck.   Chevy or GMC
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Thats not a "US" truck.  Better put a filter on the front seat and soak it in gas.  Next light on fire and buy a new truck.   Chevy or GMC

i would except fot the fact that chevys are lucky to get 100k, but you never see a honda/nissan/toyota broken down on the side of the road. except mine
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
well the service guy told me that the mix burns fine because the computer adjusted to the gas. and something, probably the catalytic converter got plugged up so the engine quit and went into safe mode. and the plugs are fouled.

That sounds reasonable.

Definitely check with the gas station.
They might deny it.

Local gas stations here always deny any problems when they start pumping
water  after a big rain.  You gotta stay on it, and call the right people.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't forget the dilution factor, a 10,000 gallon tank at the station that had say 3000 gallons of gas got a delivery of 6500 gallons of diesel.  So that mix is about 1/3 gas and 2/3 diesel, then you fill your tank, what did you say you were 1/4 full of gas already?  So you probably had 3/5 diesel in your tank not the same as pure #2 oil.

God  knows how far you'd get on that heavy mix.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#38]
man that sucks, good luck to you
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, gotta call BS on that one the Diesel would ignite and burn off with the gas. Diesel dosent explode like gas ina fire but it does burn --especially when cut with and ignted by gas.  TWO you should be able to drain out the tank,Blow the fuel lines out change all the fuel filters refill with high octane and go. I had many a moron when I worked in a gas station in high school  pump a few gallons of diesel into the tank before realizing the mistake--and most added the balance of the tank in gas and went maybe some extra smoke for a few days but no real problems. Gas in diesel vehicle however was a real problem --we were told to advise the custome not to start the vehicle and to call a service co we used to come pump out the tank for them, if they started the vehicle before that the fuel system could be completly ruined.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Also is it true that some military vehicles can take both gas and diesel?

Yes, the military uses multi-fuel engines in several applications.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Not in a 1987 Rolls Royce silver spur  it won't. DOA on the road and a huge bill.
1/4 tank of gas to 3/4 diesel like it sounds here. I don't think it'd go far personally.

YMMV but I don't think by much

Go back & re-read it, sir. I was quoting the spill on the ground, not what's in the tank of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Go tell the US workers that they're not building a "US" truck. I'm sure they'd be surprised on their way home in MS & TN.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Multi Fuel uses engine oil fed to the injector pump to make the gasoline ignite from compession alone.

If the converter didn't plug up you should be able to drain the tank and fill it with gasoline and be fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Multi Fuel uses engine oil fed to the injector pump to make the gasoline ignite from compession alone.

If the converter didn't plug up you should be able to drain the tank and fill it with gasoline and be fine.

well it looks like the cat is plugged and I have two of em. this is getting expensive
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go tell the US workers that they're not building a "US" truck. I'm sure they'd be surprised on their way home in MS & TN.

I don't want to get into the "Foriegn cars built here are still American made" argument but,

Assembled in America is still better than all Foriegn made and assembled but they are not American vehicles and you are still promoting "other than American" if you buy them.  

Quality aside (that is another argument) It is still better to support an American company so that the R&D monies stay here.  

GM just anounced they will be spending a huge amount to not "retool" but to build new modern facilities.   This will be the beginning of our evening the playing fields.  If you didn't know, after WWII we built the brand new factories that are now kicking our asses in production quality.  Welfare at is best.

Sorry for the HiJack.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Let me take you back to Christmas Eve, 2003.  I'm driving from Gulfport, MS to Memphis, TN to be home with family.  It's about a 5 to 6 hour trip.

So I get halfway, to Jackson, and stop for gas... like you, at a station that didn't even sell diesel.

I get 15 minutes down the road, and my truck starts acting all crazy.  I pull over in McDonald's.  I turn it on, it dies.  Then I realized if I just turned it on and gave it some gas it would run, albeit smokey, and I could move to an abandoned parking lot.

I assumed I got water in the tank or just bad gas.

Flash forward to a few days later, I take my truck into the dealer and they tell me I got diesel in the tank.

Noooooooooo!  $400 to clean it out, and let me tell you, that truck was never the same.  My Hemi went from 0-60 in 8 seconds flat to 10+, even after the cleanout.

I traded it in and never looked back.  Now I drive a 2006 Cummins... diesel in the tank is now a good thing. :)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Does  your wife have a boyfriend on the side?

Maybe it was on purpose........
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Does  your wife have a boyfriend on the side?

Maybe it was on purpose........

Nope shes good. But i can see some hippy getting pissed off at me driving an evi 8 cylinder. The thing i dont get is how can i drive 300 miles nonstop and the truck run like a champ and blow through 3/4 of a tank and then all of the sudden. bam. the truck doesnt work. if the gas was bad theres no way it would work flawlessly for hours of driving. Hell, i shouldnt have made it more than a few miles.
Can any mechanice confirm this? Cause im starting to think the diesel in the gas story is bullshit. I had them clean the injectors,
Drain and flush the gas tank.
Change the oil.
Change the spark pl;ugs.
Check the catsalytic converters.

and the truck still runs like it did when i had it towe to the first dealer. Now they tell me one injector rail is running lean and the other is running rich. How would bad gas cause this?

doesnt make sense
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to get into the "Foriegn cars built here are still American made" argument but,

Assembled in America is still better than all Foriegn made and assembled but they are not American vehicles and you are still promoting "other than American" if you buy them.  

Quality aside (that is another argument) It is still better to support an American company so that the R&D monies stay here.  

GM just anounced they will be spending a huge amount to not "retool" but to build new modern facilities.   This will be the beginning of our evening the playing fields.  If you didn't know, after WWII we built the brand new factories that are now kicking our asses in production quality.  Welfare at is best.

Sorry for the HiJack.

Better to get parts from Japan assembled here than parts from Mexico assembled here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck man.

+1
Drain the tank, change the fuel filter, change the plugs, flush the fuel system and injectors, reset the computer and maybe have to change the cat(maybe not).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top