Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:42:13 PM EDT
For those that think the WD Raptor are fast.

Not alot of info on this yet except it has the capacoty for 8GB of RAm that you add. Uses an external power supply so it will retain the data even if you turn your PC off (although power outages are still an issue). This is a PCI-express x1 card. Scheduled release is Q1 of this year. Limited production, and no price yet.....

Ooooooooooooooooooooooo... Instant on PC?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmmm........
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
from the experiments i've read, it's much more prone to failure than magnetic disks.

never seen a pic though - neat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
from the experiments i've read, it's much more prone to failure than magnetic disks.

never seen a pic though - neat.

RAM drives have been around for years. This is a new concept that is supposed to be cheap enough for normal people (i.e. ME!!) to own. And the fact it will iuse drop in RAM you buy, should be better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Review here:

techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigabyte-iram/index.x?pg=1

Not the same thing....Or the same maker for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
very interesting
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never understood the attraction to these things.    I could just as easily load my PC up on memory, plug it into a UPS, and use a software RAM drive for a lot less bother.   Better yet, set aside that memory as a giant disk cache, and now everything runs faster - not just the stuff on the drive.

ETA - I remember seeing SCSI versions of this for the original IBM PC-AT in the mid 80's.    No new idea here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've never understood the attraction to these things.    I could just as easily load my PC up on memory, plug it into a UPS, and use a software RAM drive for a lot less bother.   Better yet, set aside that memory as a giant disk cache, and now everything runs faster - not just the stuff on the drive.

????? Link? Info?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Not good as a traditional HD replacement, but as a scratch disk for serious Photo/AV work the speed would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
i sure hope that this is the future.

no more long load times! sweet!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i sure hope that this is the future.

no more long load times! sweet!

Solid state is the future....

Do some google search for NAND. Intel is making the jump to it and is supposed to be freaking awesome. Just still to expensive for consumer use.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I would probably get the 8 gig version and locate my OS and some often used files on it.

That is if I had money, which I dont.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would probably get the 8 gig version and locate my OS and some often used files on it.

That is if I had money, which I dont.

And a good UPS. Cause it you have a power outage your data is gone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
RAM drive links for Windows:
www.surasoft.com/articles/ramdisk.php
www.ramdisk.tk/
www.thetechzone.com/articles/ram_drive/

RAM drive links for Linux:
www.tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/November1999/article124.html
www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html

The UPS will be left as an excercise for the reader

HOLY FUCKING POPUPS BATMAN!!!!

edit:  oops, pop-up blocker off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a Applied Engineering RAMdrive for my Apple ][gs back in the 1980s.

I would load ProDOS and AppleWorks 2.0 into RAM and it was blazingly fast.

Of course, back then, the entire operating system was on the first two tracks of the floppy disk...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
That would be awesome for an OS drive
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That would be awesome for an OS drive

Except that it uses volitile memory, IE, needs connstant power supply to retain data.  A non-volitile solid state drive would be awesome.  Ram type drives have been around for 20 years, still more expensive that Hard disks, for now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
HOLY FUCKING POPUPS BATMAN!!!!
edit:  oops, pop-up blocker off.

You sure you don't have a virus?  I didn't get any popups, and I don't have a popup blocker turned on.

(Then again, I opened the Linux ones.  Maybe the Windows ones had the popups??)

Lessee, last time I checked, DDR DRAM was $80 per 1GB, so we're talking about somewhere around $700 for this 8GB hard drive.  Meanwhile, a 120GB drive cost me $60 two years ago (admittedly I got a hell of a good deal).  My whole computer system (midrange system, Asus A7VT Terminator with Athlon 2700, 1GB RAM, a DVD burner, a CD burner, and two 120GB disks) cost me less than that drive when fully populated.

Not that it won't be faster, but is your hard drive speed really that much of a problem?  Mine does pretty well even when I'm moving 700MB of data around at a time for CD images.  Maybe I have to wait thirty seconds or a minute, but it's just not that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

Scratch drives for video editing, ok.  If they can cram in two more DIMMs, you could deal with a whole DVD ISO image in RAM, which might be nice.  If I ever get into that, I might pick one up, but more likely I'd add the memory to the motherboard so that I could use it either as a ramdrive or as regular memory, depending on what I was doing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But as others have said, for a scratch disk or a place to copy big files for data processing, these would be awesome.

And they get around the pesky problem that *most* MoBos in use today can't accept anywhere near 8GB RAM.  And I predict that capacity limits on these things will grow very quickly.

-Troy

This would be amazingly fast for Photoshop, I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#22]
They should make one with a radioisotope power system.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#23]

I'll build a lead-acid battery/float charger system for whatever voltage that memory runs at.

It would be great to have it set up so that the main OS drive was on a Ramdisk, and you keep a shadow copy (RAID 1?) on the real hard drive.  Then have a second Ramdisk for a big swap area...

Ooh, that would be nice.  My WinXP box might boot as fast as my Tandy Model 102.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#24]
The Gigabyte was tested and really didn't do that much better than a regular Raptor, and it cost a lot more ($600 for 4Gb, versus $180 for a 74-Gb Raptor).
The reason is because the data transfer speed is still limited by the disk controller. The ramdrive card hooks into a PCI (or PCI-e) slot, but does not use the PCI bus speed.

A regular 7400-RPM drive is around 50+ Mb/sec sustained, a Raptor can get up around 70+, but the limit for SATA is 150Mb, and the Gigabyte unit rarely hit that speed.
~
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:00:09 AM EDT
[#25]
man, ram drives can be nice - I remember back in the day, I had a 10MB battery backed RAM drive....it was sweeeeeet!!  ;)

as far as "instant on"- I used to be a tech at a computer store in the 1990s....we sould setup a virtual ram drive on boot and autoexect.bat would mirror all critical win3.1 operation files to the vrd -> the entire 486DX2-66PC, after POST would boot in 1 second.  The monitor could not syc fast enough.  And operating it was sweeet since everything critical was executing from the vrd.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:48:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Theoretically though, if installing a RAM drive speeds up your machine more than just adding the same amount of memory as RAM, then there's something wrong with your software architecture.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Theoretically though, if installing a RAM drive speeds up your machine more than just adding the same amount of memory as RAM, then there's something wrong with your software architecture.

What?

No matter how much RAM you add to a system it wont be a fast as having a RAM drive. No harddrive is as fast as the slowest RAM. This is set up to be an actuall drive on your system, you know, like a 400gig Maxtor, but using RAM...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#28]
This is just silly. I'd rather have 8+GB of main memory and just use a RAM drive app. It looks neat though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This is just silly. I'd rather have 8+GB of main memory and just use a RAM drive app. It looks neat though.

Only issue with that is finding a normal MB that will accept that much memory.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:41:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A quick glance at Asus and Abit's websites show a fair share of 8GB motherboards. I even saw a 16GB monster.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A quick glance at Asus and Abit's websites show a fair share of 8GB motherboards. I even saw a 16GB monster.

OK, seems there making more now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Guess we could always get this Tyan MB.

64GB of RAM support.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+1.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#34]
it makes you wonder sometimes.  

they are using value ram in this thing.   if it was my data i would want something a little better than value ram to hold my data.      maybe its just me

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Korea's Samsung to sign major NAND flash supply contract with Apple
11.15.2005, 12:39 AM

SEOUL (AFX) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is expected to sign a long-term contract worth 'several hundred million US dollars' with Apple Computer Co by the end of this month to supply NAND flash chips, Internet news provider edaily reported.

The report cited industry sources as saying that the contract is part of Apple's efforts to secure a source for the chips, which are in tight supply.

Apple is also looking to sign chip supply deals with South Korea's Hynix Semiconductor Inc and Japan's Toshiba, the sources were quoted as saying.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i await the intel platterless laptop and the 100 gig NAND RAID or would that be a RAIN? or a RAIF?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Korea's Samsung to sign major NAND flash supply contract with Apple
11.15.2005, 12:39 AM

SEOUL (AFX) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is expected to sign a long-term contract worth 'several hundred million US dollars' with Apple Computer Co by the end of this month to supply NAND flash chips, Internet news provider edaily reported.

The report cited industry sources as saying that the contract is part of Apple's efforts to secure a source for the chips, which are in tight supply.

Apple is also looking to sign chip supply deals with South Korea's Hynix Semiconductor Inc and Japan's Toshiba, the sources were quoted as saying.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i await the intel platterless laptop and the 100 gig NAND RAID or would that be a RAIN? or a RAIF?

Get me an Intel Mac with a 100GB NAND. = Final Act Pro Heaven
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top