Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 3:09:40 PM EDT
Well, I'm finally getting out of this ruined state of NY.  I'm moving to Grand Junction, Colorado, and have a problem.

I want to bring my guns, and am a little skeptical about bringing them to the house I'm renting in.  I currently have a $300 Sentry gun safe.

Should I buy a bigger safe, rent a storage facility, or leave them in NY ( possibly up to a year) until I buy a house.

I don't know how the other "roomates" will feel about me bringing either my 300lb or a newer 1500lb safe into thier house.  Should I just ask her ( landlord if you want to call her) if she minds some guns?

What say you?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
MOve the Sentry with you and store the guns in there.  Get renter's insurance to cover your guns in case of fire/theft.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
MOve the Sentry with you and store the guns in there.  Get renter's insurance to cover your guns in case of fire/theft.

What will the renter insurance cost?  Is it based on approx. value of the items?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Leave em in NY as gift to Pataki
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You can just drop them off at my house on your way out of new yorkistan.  I'll take good care of them

Seriously, I'd ask her first.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask.  DO NOT CONSIDER A STORAGE FACILITY.  Anybody else you trust in CO if she is negative??
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ask.  DO NOT CONSIDER A STORAGE FACILITY.  Anybody else you trust in CO if she is negative??

Not really, just a friend that I met on a truck board, that I've met a few times.  A real nice guy, and native to the town.  A real genuine person, probably spent a total of 15-20 hours of his time showing me around the town, but I dont think I'd be leaving my guns there.  

I guess my best bet is to ask the landlord.  She is 29, and seems cool.  If she says yes, then I'll just bring the safe/guns
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
shootem..that is a good question..i've personally encountered this situation before, but i'm older now and would have responded differently today...your situation sounds somewhat unique, because there appears to be some basic info that is missing...it seems the reason you are asking advice is to determine if your personal liability and the value of your firearms can be protected...if that isn't true, please explain what you are trying to accomplish...assuming that is your intent, please respond with some more information:

1. are you renting the entire house or only a bedroom? pls describe the rental property and your association with the other 'roommates'
2. why is 'landlord' in quotes? do you have a true rental contract or is this an informal agreement? does the 'landlord' have some other relationship to you?
3. have you investigated if other secured storage buildings with environmental controls are available?

your answers may help determine if your personal liability and the value of your firearms can be insured
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a safe that  is laying flat and has lifters to help open the door.  I bought a twin bed that sits atop 4 drawers and center cabinet.  The drawers only take up half the space under the bed.  I did not fasten the drawers to the bed and put 1/4" of felt under the head and foot boards.../using a temperpedic without a headboard.  
 I can slide the bed out with one hand and under the other half of the bed I have the safe.  nicely concealed.  
 no need to take up space for a dresser or a safe because it's all in one bundle.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
shootem..that is a good question..i've personally encountered this situation before, but i'm older now and would have responded differently today...your situation sounds somewhat unique, because there appears to be some basic info that is missing...it seems the reason you are asking advice is to determine if your personal liability and the value of your firearms can be protected...if that isn't true, please explain what you are trying to accomplish...assuming that is your intent, please respond with some more information:

1. are you renting the entire house or only a bedroom? pls describe the rental property and your association with the other 'roommates'

I'll be renting just one bedroom in a house.  There are two other people living there.  Also, an occasional visit from the landlords nephew (9y.o I think)

2. why is 'landlord' in quotes? do you have a true rental contract or is this an informal agreement? does the 'landlord' have some other relationship to you?

I put landlord in quotes because i didn't know what to call her since I'll be a roomate in essence.  I'l have a month to month lease, in writing.  I believe her uncle owns the house.  Is she able to rent out space in a house she doesn't own?  Basically she whould be acting as an agent to her uncle, I guess.

3. have you investigated if other secured storage buildings with environmental controls are available?

No I haven't.  Open shooting is just 5 mins from the house, and I'd hate to have to drive a potential 20 minutes just to get the guns.  If thats what I have to do, I guess I'll have to do that

your answers may help determine if your personal liability and the value of your firearms can be insured

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
1. having a written lease agreement would qualify you to purchase rental insurance with additional floaters available for firearms valued over the initial insured limits ... for me, the initial homeowner's insurance (State Farm) will only cover $3K of firearms, that is why additional floaters are so important ... this type of insurance is sold on an annual basis so the insurance cost if the lease is canceled at the beginning of the 'month to month' rental would seem unusually high
2. from your description, the 'month to month' lease would be brief and informally written and your permittable activites, such as firearm storage, would probably be a moot issue (an issue not addressed in the lease)...having the 'landlord's verbal permission' does not guarantee that your activites would be permitted the next month...a well written yearly lease detailing everyone's rights/obligations would be in your best interest
3. you identified many people who could have access to your (presumably unlocked) room...boarders in other rooms, landlord, children, etc...even if you had your safe, insurance and verbal permission from the landlord, i would not store my firearms there
4. the only viable alternative seems to be a 'secured storage building with environmental controls', but this may not be economically feasible, because it would also require a written longer term lease and also supplemental insurance
YMMV
good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top