Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 6:14:12 AM EDT

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Lawyers asked for a temporary restraining order Sunday to stop the evictions of 12,000 families left homeless by hurricanes Katrina and Rita from hotels across the nation on Monday.

"We have provided the court with statements from people showing they have not been treated fairly by FEMA," said Bill Quigley, an assistant dean of the Loyola University Law School, who with civil rights attorney Tracie Washington filed the motion.

The attorneys delivered the papers to the home of federal judge Stanley Duval. It was not immediately clear when he would act on the motion.

The 12,000 families made homeless by last year's storms are scheduled to be forced out of their federally funded hotel rooms Monday, the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Saturday.

That amounts to about 40,000 people, Quigley said, including many who have not received trailers as promised and some who did not find out about the eviction until the beginning of the month.

"Under our reading of the judge's orders, they should be allowed to stay until the beginning of March," Quigley said. "We think FEMA is just trying to clear the books and not taking a careful or compassionate look at these people."

Of those departing on Monday, FEMA officials said 10,500 families, or 88 percent, have received rent-assistance checks from the agency, said Libby Turner, FEMA's transitional housing director.

The cash can be used to pay for an apartment or to continue their hotel stays. It can also be put toward fixing their ruined homes.

Quigley and Washington are asking the court to issue a temporary restraining order suspending all pending FEMA evictions of all evacuees.

The motion said that, contrary to prior orders of the court, many did not receive written notice of termination from the program before January 30 or have not received trailers as promised.

Those who have been given rental assistance have not been given fair market value for reasonable living accommodations for three months in their home area, according to the motion, and others have been terminated illegally or mistakenly.

Many of those facing eviction would become homeless if the evictions go through, the motion said.

Monday will mark the second wave of evacuees losing FEMA financing of their hotel rooms. Last week, the occupants of roughly 4,500 rooms lost FEMA funding for failing to register with the agency. (Full story)

In Louisiana, officials offered shelters to those leaving the hotels, but according to FEMA, only one family needed sheltering.

Just how much longer are we going to have to pay for a Super 8 for these folks?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Memo from the taxpayers of Amerika to the former residents of New Orleans:

GET OVER IT AND GET A JOB ALREADY!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the ones that are still left in them we are going to have to literally kick out.  I would think the ones that were going to do something better for themselves have already done something.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Expect thay are staying nicer places then that.

We were probaly paying for where they were living free on welfare before anyway

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Just wait a year till when they start kicking folks out of the apartments they were given rent free for a year.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think the ones that are still left in them we are going to have to literally kick out.

Followed by having to completely refurbish the hotels where they lived.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Why settle for 40 acres and a mule when you can get cable and maid service?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the ones that are still left in them we are going to have to literally kick out.

Followed by having to completely refurbish the hotels where they lived.  

Just like every shelter these people were put into will have to gutted and rebuilt.

They trashed the shit out of every shelter I saw. Had to bring in the hazmat gear to clean the restrooms. They would literaly crap on the floor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

[Squints] For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! [\Squints]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+ fucking 1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Ha, ha, Judge turned them down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

NO SHIT!  

The question to the answer .......

How many of those folks have ever held a real job or even know how?

I'd bet it is very damn few if any.....

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Wouldn't you just hate to be in the housekeeping department of any hotel they lived in? Talk about bulldoze and forget it...

Oh yeah, what in the world is the government supposed to do with all those nice camping trailers that are now just rolling slums?

I got it. Send them to Pakistan and sell them as luxury condos.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wouldn't you just hate to be in the housekeeping department of any hotel they lived in? Talk about bulldoze and forget it...

Oh yeah, what in the world is the government supposed to do with all those nice camping trailers that are now just rolling slums?

I got it. Send them to Pakistan and sell them as luxury condos.

When they are finished with the trailers the GOA auctions them off.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Super 8? Hardly. They are staying in the Marriott Marquis and Hilton in downtown Atlanta. Last I checked the Marquis is $250.00 per night and up (WAY UP)

The average price being paid is higher than that for these shitbags.

Article on Katrina "victims".
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ha, ha, Judge turned them down.

When the best they had to go with was "they weren't being treated fairly," a win was a loooong shot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Fuckin' savages.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#18]
But it's not their fault the levees broke!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuckin' savages.

Huh?
Unless there was some cannibalism I haven't heard about, lazy maybe, but savages?

Even then, unless you murdered your dinner, is cannibalism really THAT bad?  Besides most cannibals do not have human T-bone as the mainstay of their diet.  It is more of a funeral type thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#20]

That amounts to about 40,000 people, Quigley said, including many who have not received trailers as promised and some who did not find out about the eviction until the beginning of the month.

they dont work. they refuse to work..

HOW THE HELL can they not know whats happening with thier living arrangments!

what the hell are they doing with thier time.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
[qoute]
That amounts to about 40,000 people, Quigley said, including many who have not received trailers as promised and some who did not find out about the eviction until the beginning of the month.[/qoute]

They've known. They just chose not to act. Again you think this is stirring the pot? Wait till next year when the year long rent vouchers for "free" apartments expire.

The screaming is not done yet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Lawyers asked for a temporary restraining order Sunday to stop the evictions of 12,000 families left homeless by hurricanes Katrina and Rita from hotels across the nation on Monday.

"We have provided the court with statements from people showing they have not been treated fairly by FEMA," said Bill Quigley, an assistant dean of the Loyola University Law School, who with civil rights attorney Tracie Washington filed the motion.

The attorneys delivered the papers to the home of federal judge Stanley Duval. It was not immediately clear when he would act on the motion.

The 12,000 families made homeless by last year's storms are scheduled to be forced out of their federally funded hotel rooms Monday, the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Saturday.

"Under our reading of the judge's orders, they should be allowed to stay until the beginning of March," Quigley said. "We think FEMA is just trying to clear the books and not taking a careful or compassionate look at these people."

Of those departing on Monday, FEMA officials said 10,500 families, or 88 percent, have received rent-assistance checks from the agency, said Libby Turner, FEMA's transitional housing director.

The cash can be used to pay for an apartment or to continue their hotel stays. It can also be put toward fixing their ruined homes.

Quigley and Washington are asking the court to issue a temporary restraining order suspending all pending FEMA evictions of all evacuees.

The motion said that, contrary to prior orders of the court, many did not receive written notice of termination from the program before January 30 or have not received trailers as promised.

Those who have been given rental assistance have not been given fair market value for reasonable living accommodations for three months in their home area, according to the motion, and others have been terminated illegally or mistakenly.

Many of those facing eviction would become homeless if the evictions go through, the motion said.

Monday will mark the second wave of evacuees losing FEMA financing of their hotel rooms. Last week, the occupants of roughly 4,500 rooms lost FEMA funding for failing to register with the agency. (Full story)

In Louisiana, officials offered shelters to those leaving the hotels, but according to FEMA, only one family needed sheltering.

We've always paid for most of these people, in one way or another.  Now we're just paying more.  This will never end and will be the norm for every "disaster" from now on.  What will be the motivation to protect yourself in the future?  It is ridiculous, criminal, and inevitable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Well as far as paying for them goes, I'm willing to pay a bit more.

I am willing to foot the bill for one round of surplus turkish 8mm per lowlife, so long as it is "properly dispensed" to them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[qoute]
That amounts to about 40,000 people, Quigley said, including many who have not received trailers as promised and some who did not find out about the eviction until the beginning of the month.[/qoute]

They've known. They just chose not to act. Again you think this is stirring the pot? Wait till next year when the year long rent vouchers for "free" apartments expire.

cluster, they have been using their 'new found' free time to continue doing NOTHING

Bama shooter, hopefully they will get the same judge as this time.  

DENIED
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#25]
"How you gonna keep em down on the farm after they'ye seen Parreeeeee!"

Thank you....your too kind....I'll be here all week, folks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
cluster, they have been using their 'new found' free time to continue doing NOTHING

DENIED

Hey, they're not doing nothing. They're drugging themselves into a stupor, then screwing each other and popping out more kids for you to support.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I think the ones that are still left in them we are going to have to literally kick out.  I would think the ones that were going to do something better for themselves have already done something.

For the most part, I think you are right.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i'd like to know what percentage of the "refugees" that began on the fema program are still on it and still unemployed?

it's past time to reenact the public works programs of the 30's-40's. put them to work building public projects to earn their keep.

Now that's just crazy talk.  Surely the ACLU could find something in the Constution to find fault with your plan.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

We've always paid for most of these people, in one way or another.  Now we're just paying more.  This will never end and will be the norm for every "disaster" from now on.  What will be the motivation to protect yourself in the future?  It is ridiculous, criminal, and inevitable.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

We've already been footing the bill for these folks for probably their whole lives.

What difference does it make which chart of accounts name the money comes out of? It's all tax dollars.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i'd like to know what percentage of the "refugees" that began on the fema program are still on it and still unemployed?

it's past time to reenact the public works programs of the 30's-40's. put them to work building public projects to earn their keep.

Would you drive through a tunnel you knew was worked on by those dumbfucks? How about live below a dam they "helped out" on? If it were any more complicated than digging trenches with a shovel, they would spend more time re-building whatever they worked on than it took to build it.

There is no other option, put 'em on a farm picking cabbages. (Have to deport all the mexicans first....)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey at least yall are not a evac point for the "victims", I am telling you right now that Houston just got close to 100,000 perm. welfare recipents.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#33]
But dis shit is owed to us.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Indeed.

With every national disaster we seem to create an entitlement class.

I wonder how long it is going to be before people start demanding a compensation package for Katrina like the one for 9/11????
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
But it's not their fault Bush blew up the levees broke!

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hey at least yall are not a evac point for the "victims", I am telling you right now that Houston just got close to 100,000 perm. welfare recipents.

like Houston needs more of these kind of people.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's kind of what I was thinking.

We've already been footing the bill for these folks for probably their whole lives.

What difference does it make which chart of accounts name the money comes out of? It's all tax dollars.

Precisely.  And as their numbers continue to swell (They breed prolifically), they will comprise an ever larger constituent force to be reckoned with by a not-so-small segement of would-be lifers in the House & Senate, ensuring a ride-for-life for them.

That sucking sound you hear is the national budget careening in the toilet.  We're getting far down below the rim.

Calling Jesse Jackson...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Fuckin' savages.

Absolutely.

I'm trying my damndest to put every one of those sorry mother fuckers in jail. If we taxpayers are gonna pay for their accomodations it shouldn't be as accomodating as the Hilton.
It's amazing how fast they leave Florida once they've got jail time hanging over their heads. Sure there will be a bunch of Failure to Appear warrants for these scumbags but at least they haul ass out of state.

They have destroyed businesses, hotels and the FEMA parks here and crime has shot through the roof. My standard line will remain "Welcome to Florida, now get your shit and get out before you experience Florida's enhanced prison sentences for felons."

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DENIED

Hey, they're not doing nothing. They're drugging themselves into a stupor, then screwing each other and popping out more kids for you to support.

howd i miss that

oh boy
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Why settle for 40 acres and a mule when you can get cable and maid service?

I'll take 40 acres and a mule any day!

I say pull the .gov teat out of their mouths ASAP!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
But dis shit is owed to us.

I am sure they have generations of them that haven't paid anything into the government.  I don't think we owe them shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

like Houston needs more of these kind of people.

What's actually kind of funny is that some of the Houston welfare scum have actually started to complain in an organized fashion about these people, which is pretty funny, given that this is probably the first thing that they have ever done for themselves.  Ever.

Murders are up 25% in Houston so far.  HPD now has several emergency task forces to try to deal with these people.

The funny thing is that these folks are actually pretty dumb.  They try to car-jack female cops, they break into occupied apartments and are then surprised when someone unloads a 12 guage into them, they case houses for robbery in residential neighborhoods in the middle of the day and are then surprised when the neighbors come out of the house with guns and hold them for the cops.  And so on, and so forth.  What an odd bunch of people.  Violent, yet so stupid it's kind of amazing that they made it to adulthood.

These is no doubt in my mind that if we get a serious hurricane through Houston next year we will wind up tagging a bunch of these idiots trying to loot homes filled with armed, angry Texans and being surprised that they are getting shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top