Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 3:51:14 AM EDT
I want to build an intro page for my forum.  I'm HTML dumb.  Anyone got any tips on a free HTML editor?  I've got FrontPage 98 lying around here somewhere, but I don't want to use that unless necessary since it is so old.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Edit Plus.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
notepad
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This one isnt to bad

+1.  the guy who wrote it (or one of the guys who wrote it) is a member of glocktalk.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
notepad

vim has syntax hgihlighting
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This one isnt to bad

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess what I really wanted was something like FrontPage but free.  Where I don't have to know HTML, just a page builder type of thing.

Coffee Cup is nice, but it is beyond my skills.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like Edit Plus.

I say give Edit Plus a try.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 Where I don't have to know HTML, ..................

Youre kidding, right?
did you ask the guy at the gunshop.." I wanna gun ,but I do not want to know how to break it down and clean it NOR do I care on how to reload the mags."

reminds me of my mother... "I just spent 1500 dollars on a computer, I shouldn't have to read the manual in order to operate it....."  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to htmlgoodies.com and learn how to do it yourself. It's really easy. If you can master board code, you can master html. I'm serious. You'll spend just as much time, if not more, learning how to use an editor as you would learning how to write the code yourself.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Dreamweaver 8.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Netscape Composer is decent for a noob.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1

If you want to write the html directly, I recommend HTML Kit
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

If you want to write the html directly, I recommend HTML Kit

+2
Composer is really easy to use, and you can look at it as a learning tool. You can just build the page like you would normally see it and then look at the html behind it if you care, or need to modify something directly that composer won't do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#16]
tag

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone here had any experience with building sites using style sheets?  I understand this can be done and using tables and such are no longer necessary.  Is this the case and if so can you point to a really good site that has understandable instructions on how to do this?  I have an application called geeklog I need to modify.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone here had any experience with building sites using style sheets?  I understand this can be done and using tables and such are no longer necessary.  Is this the case and if so can you point to a really good site that has understandable instructions on how to do this?  I have an application called geeklog I need to modify.

webmonkey
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have a ton of experiance.

Now - making a totally tableless layout has some limitations right now - but this one page has a lot of great information - its the Box Tutorial

www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html

Eric Meyer is a CSS guru. Check out his two books. Here is some info on his site:
www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/

And this is a GREAT website for designers:
alistapart.com/

Specifically the CSS section: alistapart.com/topics/code/css/

Back to the original poster - notepad is free and fun for all. But if you know NO HTML at all, get Dreamweaver. It will make the cleanest code for a noob that you can get. I hear you can download it for FREE from macromedia.com, and then find a serial number on the web.

As much as I cringe when I hear amatures DIY their own web stuff - good luck to you!

ps - webmonkey is ok for beginners - but they are lacking on the more advanced CSS stuff.

pss - Robot 44 - for all your web/design needs - www.robot44.com

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a ton of experiance.

Now - making a totally tableless layout has some limitations right now - but this one page has a lot of great information - its the Box Tutorial

www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html

Eric Meyer is a CSS guru. Check out his two books. Here is some info on his site:
www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/

And this is a GREAT website for designers:
alistapart.com/

Specifically the CSS section: alistapart.com/topics/code/css/

Back to the original poster - notepad is free and fun for all. But if you know NO HTML at all, get Dreamweaver. It will make the cleanest code for a noob that you can get. I hear you can download it for FREE from macromedia.com, and then find a serial number on the web.

As much as I cringe when I hear amatures DIY their own web stuff - good luck to you!

ps - webmonkey is ok for beginners - but they are lacking on the more advanced CSS stuff.

pss - Robot 44 - for all your web/design needs - www.robot44.com

Thanks for the info.  New to CSS, not to web site creation or design - just haven't done it in a VERY long while.  So cringe away!    I'm sure you were born a master web designer, right?  Us poor unlucky shmoes have to learn this stuff somehow.  BTW, thanks for the plug site...  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  New to CSS, not to web site creation or design - just haven't done it in a VERY long while.  So cringe away!    I'm sure you were born a master web designer, right?  Us poor unlucky shmoes have to learn this stuff somehow.  BTW, thanks for the plug site...  

Actually - I am cringing at the orginal poster - not you. Anyone attempting a table-less design has some HTML experiance.

And I plugged my own site ;o) I figured free advice was worth a link ;o)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Go to htmlgoodies.com and learn how to do it yourself. It's really easy. If you can master board code, you can master html. I'm serious. You'll spend just as much time, if not more, learning how to use an editor as you would learning how to write the code yourself.

+1

This is what I used to get started using html about 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Actually - I am cringing at the orginal poster - not you. Anyone attempting a table-less design has some HTML experiance.

And I plugged my own site ;o) I figured free advice was worth a link ;o)

You are most correct Mister44-san - free advise was worth a plug.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you want to see some amazing things that can be done with just CSS, check out www.csszengarden.com/.

FrontPage makes crap HTML.  Learn to do it the real way using a text editor.  But not NotePad.

That was an excellent site - will help out tremendously.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Real men use Notepad and do it all by hand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Real men use Notepad and do it all by hand.

Computer studs use edlin.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top