Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 9:47:03 PM EDT

I chamber a round and this is what happens, i can push on the bullet with my finger and do this.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not buying someone else's reloads is common sense. Roll your own, go factory, or forgo completely.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Why I will not buy reloads?

I load my own.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
?, don't know where I read it, but I heard the same thing can happen to a new factory round
If it has been chambered a couple of times. Have you heard of this ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
?, don't know where I read it, but I heard the same thing can happen to a new factory round

I tried to do this with WWB 9mm and it was not going to happen,this is crap ammo.  So i guess i can say dont buy Ultramax.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
not to mention the warranty is void if it fucks up your gun
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Something I heard about the New Hampshire Staties (or maybe it was Vermont), that they had a pistol KB on them because they kept chambering and unchambering the same couple of rounds. Eventually, someone fired those rounds off to get them out of inventory, and there was trouble.

Bullet setback is bad news.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By samsong
Something I heard about the New Hampshire Staties (or maybe it was Vermont), that they had a pistol KB on them because they kept chambering and unchambering the same couple of rounds. Eventually, someone fired those rounds off to get them out of inventory, and there was trouble.

Bullet setback is bad news.

OK, how do check for bullet setback ? I carry a Glock 19C with Corbon 124 JHP, every week
I unload it to clean it and put the same round that was chambered back in the mag, should I just
Throw that round away after a couple of times ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
use a caliper, or better yet compare it to the rest. simple really
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I chamber my 45acp rounds a max of five times, I measure it with a caliper before I chamber it also
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I would buy Blackhills Blue box over any imported russian stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't buy reloads because frankly, I don't trust the skills of some stranger. It could be underpowered and get me killed (doesn't kill what I'm shooting, sticks in the barrel and KB's with the next round) or overpowered and get me killed (KB).

For me, it's factory or nothing. I MIGHT buy custom loads from someone if I knew they knew exactly what they were doing. It would have to be someone with years of experience and a darn good reputation for fine ammo though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why I will not buy reloads?

I load my own.

+1

I like to think that my quality control > all
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't buy reloads any more.  Got some from a reputable ammo dealer & one was over charged. Damn!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Buying reloads? No.

I won't fire reloads if they're given to me, even by guys I trust.

I load my own, and I have more faith in my loads than factory loads.

I've seen every powder charge, I've felt every bullet seat, and I've measured every round.

But buy it? no thanks.

Black hills is an exception, I'd consider that remanufactured ammo just as reliable as factory.

looks like maybe you got a case that missed the sizing die somehow, bad juju, I'd want my money back and I certainly wouldn't fire any of it.

As others have said, bullet setback can cost you a hand.

I've had good factory self defense ammo set back many times, from clearing the weapon repeatedly to clean out lint mostly. Best to just empty your carry gun at every range session and load fresh as part of your cleaning routine.

Gets spendy with the factory self defense type loads I know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I decided to NEVER buy reloads after a guy brought me his pistol to work on.

Seems a opossum had been harassing his dog and he decided to blast the opossum.  He grabs his Rossi .38 and steps outside.  He walks up to about 5 feet away, aims and shoots.  No reaction from the opossum.  He can't believe he is missing that close and fires 4 more times.  Then he looks down and there is a SWC just sticking out the end of the barrel.  I think whoever loaded the ammo had put NO powder in any of them and it was just the primer.   I'm scared to think what would've happened if the second round had been a full charge.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I have had factory ammo come the same way right out of the box
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]

OK, how do check for bullet setback ? I carry a Glock 19C with Corbon 124 JHP, every week
I unload it to clean it and put the same round that was chambered back in the mag, should I just
Throw that round away after a couple of times ?

Hell no!
You should be shooting that ammo then replacing it with fresh.
I know shooting white box is cheaper, but you really should spend some of each range session shooting what you actually carry.
Different impact point, different recoil, different all around feel, if your not familiar with your carry ammo then it's not worth carrying.
What price your safety?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#18]
My ammo is almost 100% reloads, but then again I make them myselfs, been reloading for over 10 years.  I wont let people or myself shoot my reloads in other people's guns, but I'll let people shoot my reloads in my guns.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
not to mention the warranty is void if it fucks up your gun

That's a good point, if a factory round fucks up your gun, the owner of the fucked up gun usually goes after the ammo company, not the gun company anyway, so I think voiding the warranty on a reload is a worthless thing anyway, it has no effect.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not buying someone else's reloads is common sense. Roll your own, go factory, or forgo completely.

Yup,exactly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I found this out the hard way with some old .270 loads gotten from a friend. Every round I fired had neck separations and I was too dumb to figure it out until I had shot 10 rounds... I threw the rest in the trash. I will stick with my own reloads.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had this same problem with UltraMax in .223 also. Won't be using that stuff anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I will buy good name "commercial" reloads, such as Black Hills or UltraMax.

I won't buy gunshow reloads sold loose in plastic bags.

But mostly, I reload my own.  I trust me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Ive seen a couple cracked cases with ultramax.. I know factory stuff can be bad as well, but if I ever buy a box of Ultramax at the indoor range I shoot at..And sometimes I do because I just didnt bring enough ammo.. I look at EVERY round before I load it in the mag. Bad ones get tossed downrange by hand.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Hmm...

I've only purchased UltraMax a couple of times.  Both were .223 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.  Damned accurate and reliable.  

But if you guys are reporting problems, then maybe I'll stay away in the future.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Always had good luck with the FMJs, it was the HPs that gave me trouble.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought some .45 LC reloads once and you could actually see the bullets go to the target. Max range about 30 feet.  I won't buy them from anyone again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I bought some .45 LC reloads once and you could actually see the bullets go to the target. Max range about 30 feet.  I won't buy them from anyone again.

Those were poor man tracer rounds
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But they didn't kick very hard!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:38:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But they didn't kick very hard!

Hey, with reloads like that you could go play with "real steel" and impress all the airsoft geeks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top