Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 8:33:59 AM EDT
A while back, somebody posted a pic of their new molan labe tattoo. Anybody know who it was or have the pic?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it was "dusty_c" , not sure on the spelling though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
check the spelling of "molon labe" before you get it, too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
FYI if you're considering that tattoo yourself, you may wish to do a spell check on that one.

(MOLON LABE)  

I hope my Spelling Naziness will be overlooked by the fact that this would be a fairly permanent mark on his body  

Edit: Aggie types faster than me.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
It was me, and I got mine done in Ancient Greek, not the language they use today.  I had a professor that teaches ancient history verify the spelling for me, checked in 3 books and used an online person to person translator.  I actually spent more money making sure it was spelled right, than I did getting that part of the tattoo.  It's part of a half sleeve that I'll be getting when my arm sleeve is done.

The funny side note is that if you look at the last 4 letters, from the bottom up, it kinda says "ebay"
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks man. That was just what I was looking for. I thought I remembered that you did the research on spelling and letters for ancient Greek. That's why I was asking. I found a few different images online and they all used different characters and/or spellings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
moles on labia?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The first one I found is the one that was right.  Wikipeda.  Look up Molon Labe and it's there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#8]
wow
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Man, Dusty, you have got some hairy, scarred-up arms!

<---------------------------------
FWIW, here's my molon labe tattoo
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thats my shin dude.

By the way, right down the middle of your shin,  you better be MUCH MAN to handle that shit. Worse than my sternum or nipple, or calf, or back or forearms.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
If you were really Special Ops, you would've gotten it on your forehead

Crap, that must have hurt!  You must have been a skateboarder with all those scars.  (Guess how I know.)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you were really Special Ops, you would've gotten it on your forehead

Crap, that must have hurt!  You must have been a skateboarder with all those scars.  (Guess how I know.)

BMXer with Bearclaw pedals
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats my shin dude.

By the way, right down the middle of your shin,  you better be MUCH MAN to handle that shit. Worse than my sternum or nipple, or calf, or back or forearms.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
moles on labia?

No.  MOLD on LABIA!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Haha, that's the exact same thing I was thinking.  I thought we had some sort of Sasquatch here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha, that's the exact same thing I was thinking.  I thought we had some sort of Sasquatch here.

I repeat, it's my leg. this is my arm.  And if my insurance check gets here today it'll look a hell of a lot different in about 5 hours.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Check didn't come in so the arm stays as shown for a few days.  Damn liar told me Saturday it'd be mailed monday.  It was mailed today
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems I knew someone who had it tattooed on their arm, misspelled of course
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Seems I knew someone who had it tattooed on their arm, misspelled of course

He was the reason I spent about 100 bucks making sure I had the spelling right
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice Dusty_C
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, so the arm should undergo it's amazing transformation tommorrow.  Stand by for pics tommorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
What are you changing/adding?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, someone please tell me what "Molon Lave" means. I alwyas see it, yet I do not know what it means.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ok, someone please tell me what "Molon Lave" means. I alwyas see it, yet I do not know what it means.

"Come and get 'em"  "Come and take 'em"

Something to that effect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Come and get 'em"  "Come and take 'em"

Something to that effect.

In the context of the Persians telling an ancient Greek king and his army to hand over their weapons in exchange for his life and that of his bodyguards.  This was the Greek king's response!

Check it out in Wikipedia.  good stuff!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.molonlabe.com/
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Click here and ye shall be edumucated!

Quoted:
What are you changing/adding?

Fire hydrant at the base of the wrist with a hose coming off each of the 2.5 connections, crossing behind the "343" and then spraying halfway up the side of the maltese cross, with the water splashing off each side below where it his the flames that we are adding to the top of the cross.  there will be crossed axes low behind the hydrant and two banners, one saying "never" the other saying "forget"  There will be rubble added behing all that with 2 roughly badge shaped stones coming up between the "343" and the bottom of the badge. One will say "PAPD 37" and the other will say "NYPD 23"  On the outside across my wrist it's going to say  "lets roll" in a nice flowing script.  Above that will be an M-4, bayonet affixed Helmet on the butt sticking out of the ground and a traditional yellow ribbon crossing over the middle of it, in the front and the loop of the ribbon will cross behind the helmet.  And then each of the 5 armed services will be Initialed in the ribbon at the base.  The third narrow side of my arm will have a thin, open scroll, that has the part of Psalm 23 in the Bush used in his Speech on 9/11.  Crossing behind all this, in the background will be a random pattern of stars and stripes.  Tommorrow (if my damn check comes in) will just be the outline of all that.  
Later, probably late next week, we will add the outline to the upper part of the arm.  It'll all be done in black and gray with one exception.  A pheonix will be rising out of the smoke and steam made from where the water contacts the fire on the maltese cross.  It's wings will run up the outsides of my arm leaving a big open space on the flat outer part.  In that flat outer part will be The Twin Towers, The pentagon, and Flight 93,  Flight 93 will be out of scale and quartering away from the WTC so no one thinks its one of the planes that flew into it, and it will also have a large "93" on the fuselage near the cockpit.  Between all 3 of these images will be tiny angels flying around.  On the ball of my shoulder there will be the face of Jesus looking down upon the images crying tears of blood.  

I've designed all of it myself,  my tattoo artist has drawn it all out because, quite frankly, I can't draw that good.  I wanted to make sure that I included everyone that died that day and has, and continue to die and sacrifice fighting the war on terror.  Estimate about 9 hours in the chair and $1000 for the rest of the outline and another 8-10 and about another grand to do all the color.  There won't be any open space on my arm at all.  On the inside of my bicep I'm not sure what I'm going to put there yet but I have a few ideas.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh yeah, on my leg,  After my arm is done, we're adding a pillar or plaque around the "molon labe" to make it look etched in stone.  On the outside of my calf will be a statue of Leonidas, on the back of my calf will be the inscription "....the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...." And I have no clue what I'm putting on the inside yet.  I may have a contest for ideas
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Dusty,
Damn....that sounds kick ass.

Be sure to post the progress.

I drew my first tat, and then my artist put his own flavor to it (which I ended up liking).

I have some, very little, drawing ability so I like to make my own preliminary sketches.  I couldn't imagine tackling a sleeve though.  I would just leave the drawing to the artist at that point.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#31]
TAG for the new TAT tomorrow.

By the way Dusty,

Did you ever get that Titanium made into your glock pendant or whatever you were going to do with it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Dusty,
Damn....that sounds kick ass.

Be sure to post the progress.

I drew my first tat, and then my artist put his own flavor to it (which I ended up liking).

I have some, very little, drawing ability so I like to make my own preliminary sketches.  I couldn't imagine tackling a sleeve though.  I would just leave the drawing to the artist at that point.

We've done it piece by piece.  In designing a custom tattoo, especially a big one, you need an artist to help that you trust.  People try to add tiny detail that you just can't do, put colors together that just look like ass together and all kinds of other things.  My artist was in the army for awhile and I made him watch a bunch of 9/11 flash movies on the internet before we got to really working on it.  I wanted him to be feeling the emotions that I live everyday.   Between the 2 of us we probably have over 100 hours planted in the chair on google bringing up different pics.  Well over 400 sketches thrown away and have developed a pretty good friendship outside of ink.  It's a whole other world.  Not to mention, tattoo's are more addictive than crack lol.  

When the arm is done, it's going to be entered in several contests and we'll have some other work going to.  I want a pin up girl. That's classic tattoo work and I don't have any good old school stuff.  All my ink has very deep, personal meanings. I don't have anything "just because"  I'm thinking Betty Page with a Thompson on the outside of my left thigh would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

By the way Dusty,

Did you ever get that Titanium made into your glock pendant or whatever you were going to do with it?

It's still sitting in my car.  My Jeweler looked at it, and he said it'd be a lot of money to do what I want done.  Like over $500 bucks.  So in honor of your idea, it's going to catch a bullet shortly and have pics posted
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats my shin dude.

Wait until you hit your knee... or the back of your knee.  Or the front of your ankle where your foot begins.  Fun times.  They were all worse than my shin.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the way Dusty,

It's still sitting in my car.  My Jeweler looked at it, and he said it'd be a lot of money to do what I want done.  Like over $500 bucks.  So in honor of your idea, it's going to catch a bullet shortly and have pics posted

fuck yea!

sorry about the disappointment with "reshaping" titanium.  It was worth a shot I guess.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats my shin dude.

Wait until you hit your knee... or the back of your knee.  Or the front of your ankle where your foot begins.  Fun times.  They were all worse than my shin.

Pain is pain lol.  I had some nerve damage in that leg so it wasn't actually nearly as bad as I made it sound, It was a bitch, but not THAT bad.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the way Dusty,

fuck yea!

sorry about the disappointment with "reshaping" titanium.  It was worth a shot I guess.

Yeah, he said it was to thick.  No biggie.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I've seen people get it as (modern version):

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

and

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Which one is right?  Would be good to know, cause I'm sitting in the chair this week working on a half sleeve, and have really thought of adding in the saying.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#39]
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ is right.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]
And actually, in ancient Greek, it'd be more like [mo.lón' la.be'], where the accent indicates a long vowel, periods indicate syllable breaks, and apostrophes indicate the stressed syllable.

Modern greek would have it [mo.lón la.ve].
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And actually, in ancient Greek, it'd be more like [mo.lón' la.be'], where the accent indicates a long vowel, periods indicate syllable breaks, and apostrophes indicate the stressed syllable.

Modern greek would have it [mo.lón la.ve].

See? It's all confusing as hell.  Funny How I can go back to 2000 years ago and it all makes sense
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top