Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:18:00 PM EDT
I'm tired of Bank of America. The service sucks, and they just aren't cutting it for me.

What is the ARFCOM consensus on Wachovia?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a credit union for your run of the mill checking and savings accounts.

Then set up an ING orange savings account for your "Money Market" type savings.

You won't regret it.

Stay away from commercial banks as a consumer. "Its a trap"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My requirements are simple:

1. Checking account must be free. I'm giving them money to invest, afterall.
2. The online banking must kick ass.
3. I must be allowed to carry in the branch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You will be ok as long as you're not an 80 year old nun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Bank of America Mexico sucks ass too. I switched to Wells Fargo and haven't had any bad issues to speak of.

The final straw at Bof M was when they refused to cash my paycheck one time because they said I had too much activity in my savings account. WTF? They cash illegal aliens checks all day long no questions asked and they didn't even have accounts with them, but wouldn't cash my check and I had an account because I had too much activity in my savings account. Dumbfucks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You do realize that's what interest is for tho right?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Most places offer free checking with direct deposit.

I've been using a Federal Credit Union for just over 2 years now and it's fine, no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You will be ok as long as you're not an 80 year old nun.

I STILL think she was a bag lady for Sinn Fein.

I've heard Wachovia called "Walkalloveryou."

I use Amsouth, but have seen negatives on this site about them. I get free electronic checking / safe deposit. They are primarily a middle man between me and Citibank Mastercard. One, maybe 2 EFTs a month, so it's pretty hard for them to screw up.

My daughter uses ING and is pleased.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Smallest local bank you can find....

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Bank of America is a big gun control supporter from what I've been told.  Can anyone verify that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I became a Wachovia customer after they bought out First Union 3 or so years ago.  I gave them the boot just a couple weeks ago.   Was in a "Performance Money Market" that was payin 0.25%, yep 1/4% interest, and that's only because I kept $5,000 minimum in it.  Well I moved $3,000 to my credit union forgetting about the $5K minimum and the bastards charged me $10 "service fee" for shitty service.  Fuck 'em.  

Your best bet is a credit union if you can join one.  My second bank is RBC Centura.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on Bank of America sucking
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
USAA

damnit beat me to it

and the lowest insurance I've found too
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with a credit union.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been a State Farm Insurance Bank customer for years.  All online, and they are great.  They even reimburse for the fees when you withdraw from other bank's ATMs.

My savings is with Emmigrant Bank.  4.0% interest I am earning - and if you have $10,000 in your account they give you 4.25% or 4.5% (can't recall which).

Again, all internet banking.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Bank of America is a big gun control supporter from what I've been told.  Can anyone verify that?

What? I think they are one of the few branches that DON'T have a "No CCW" sign.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
USAA

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

Interest that you receive is supposed to be their payoff to you for giving them your money to lend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I will echo what has been posted already.

1. Totally free checking.
2. Extensive ATM networking that will not nickel and dime me with fees.
3. Excellent online banking capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Use a branch bank or credit union for your checking account only.  (Free checking account, of course.  If you're paying anything for it, you're overpaying.)

Any savings you have, put them in an ING Orange Savings account and link to your checking account for transferring money between them.  I feel like an idiot for not using them years ago and letting BofA have my savings money for peanuts.  When I switched to ING, their savings account rate was over SIX TIMES what BofA was paying me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm tired of Bank of America. The service sucks, and they just aren't cutting it for me.

What is the ARFCOM consensus on Wachovia?

They suck major donkey butt. See my archived thread on how Wachovia screwed me over:

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=286246

I am not alone, as they have screwed over lots of other people. In fact, First Union (it is no coincidence that their initials spell out FU) has been screwing over me or members of my family for years.

My best advice is to open accounts with a good local bank who actually gives a damn about their customers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#24]
NetBank.com

Free checking and best of all:  They pay YOU interest for the money in the account!

+1 on ING savings
Also, look into VirtualBank.com for savings as well
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been pleased with Chase.  Ask any prospective bank what they are actively doing to protect your credit cards and your identity.

You will be amazed when most say "absolutely nothing", or "we don't have the manpower for that".

Compass bank allowed money to be stolen from my account 32 times.

Washington Mutual used to hold my mortgage when I had one.  When the rates were dropping and you could refi anywhere, Washington Mutual wouldn't give me the time of day.  I closed several trust accounts, savings, checking, credit, and went with a credit union.

Compass and Washington suck goat balls!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
USAA

+100000000

Being able to join USAA makes the military worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top