Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:01:56 PM EDT
I visited a general practice doctor today at his clinic for a check-up.  I am currently trying to find a new general practice doctor for my wife and I.

He was a nice man, joked around enough to make me feel comfortable, and was thorough.  When it came time for the "turn your head and cough" moment, I informed him before removing my pants that I was licensed to carry a firearm and was carrying one on me so as not to alarm him when he saw it.

It made him quite visibly uncomfortable, and the jovial attitude seemed to stop right there.

He started asking me things like: "Why do you feel you need one of those?"  "Protect yourself from what?"  "Not even the police officers I know bring their guns in here."  "Pistols aren't for shooting clay pigeons you know."

He also said that I wasn't supposed to bring a firearm into a clinic.  I kindly asked him if he had a no-gun sign at the entrance to the clinic, and if he did, then I had missed it.  He said, "No, we don't.  But I need to put one up."

I then said, "It is not against the law to carry a handgun into a clinic or hospital in Texas provided that you have a license."

He didn't want to talk about it anymore from there.  He wasn't rude, but the jovial attitude was gone.  Oh well...

So now I'm looking for a good general practice doctor (that is not anti-gun) North of Dallas: McKinney, Allen, Plano, Frisco, even Richardson.

Any suggestions would be preferred.  Also, the doctor needs to take Aetna health insurance.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Rule number 1: Never upset a person who is about to handle your balls or stick a finger up your ass.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Might I suggest you ask for a doctor in the Texas hometown forum??????  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe he was confused with your other gun?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Rule number 2: Never upset a person who controls your medication (goes for corpsman as well as doctors).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you really need the help of arfcom to find another doctor?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rule number 1: Never upset a person who is about to handle your balls or stick a finger up your ass.

That pretty much concludes this thread.  

Although the patient was the one with the gun.    
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Jaltered, Do you belong to a range or hunting club. Sometimes a member is a doc or can recommend a doc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I took my doctor shooting at my favorite sand pit a few weeks ago.  He just wanted to get familiarized with handguns before taking an introductory course at Sigarms Academy in March.  Sigarms won't let you take one of their courses unless you get a CCW license (or they do a background check) so he was forced to pay the $10 and get his license. ().  

As a doctor, I have to leave my politics at the front door.  You can't preach about 'guns being bad', but you also can't preach about 'abortion is bad' either.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do you really need the help of arfcom to find another doctor?

Ask some shooting buds.  Alternatively, just find a way of discreetly removing your IWB before the doc comes in.   Unless he's incredibly efficient, you'll have some time to spare whilst sitting in the room.  

Remember, not all docs are born anti.  Many (most?) med schools are liberal, the AMA is anti, and they do their level best to brainwash us.  Keep looking around, and you may even find one that would like to shoot with you.

C-4 hit it right on the head, much more succinctly than I did.  In theory, when the white coat is put on, politics/libido/religion are taken off.  The only time I talk guns is with other staff or with patients who I know to be shooters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you at????
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Why does that make him anti-gun?  Seems silly to bring a gun into a doctor's office inside your pants when you know you'll be taking them off.  If you MUST carry there you should at least do something more inconspicuous.  You'll probably find the same surprised reaction from the rest of the doctors.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Come to my hospital you will be asked to leave it in the car or let security hold it. You wont be carrying it IN the hospital. If you refuse to leave it in the car or let security hold it, you will leave.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
He was a nice man, joked around enough to make me feel comfortable, and was thorough.  When it came time for the "turn your head and cough" moment, I informed him before removing my pants that I was licensed to carry a firearm and was carrying one on me so as not to alarm him when he saw it.

Bet you got extra grease, a kiss, and the slowest pinkie treatment ever.

eta:  It's seriously important we endure these exams as we get older.  But I'm bettin' the exam will go a lot smoother if your packin' too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell him to shut his mouth and keep his opinions to himself. I am sick of liberal bags (no pun intended) thinking they know what's best for you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sig line material!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Updated!

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Rule Number 2: Never upset a man with a gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The last time I went to the doctor, I took my GLOCK 19 off and layed it on the counter. My doc said, "That reminds me, check this out." He then pulled out his new GLOCK 38 in OD green, cleared it, and handed to me to look over. "You've got to try it out next time I see you at the range," he said.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do people look for something new once they find out that person doesnt like firearms? I go to a Dr. for how good he is at his job, not his firearms beliefs...

Hell, my mom HATES guns, should I look for a new mom? Hell no...

Some of you are really wierd...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#20]
No, I don't NEED ar15.com to help me find a doctor, but I'm open to suggestions of anyone here who has a pro-gun doc in my area.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't help you with a doc in your area, but my doctor just bought a Barrett bolt action.  A couple months ago, he brought me a couple boxes each of 7mm and 25 cal bullets he had no use for.  He is a good man.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why do people look for something new once they find out that person doesnt like firearms? I go to a Dr. for how good he is at his job, not his firearms beliefs...

It's not wierd to me. Why should I give my money to someone like this guy?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell, my doc is 100% pro gun and pro carry.  I carry around her all the time, I think she even likes it (of course that could be because I'm married to her )
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing like the opportunity to tell a PHD about the thing us old school peeps call......."The Constitution."
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not wierd to me. Why should I give my money to someone like this guy?

Each his own of course, but just wierd to me. I go to get better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I would
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#28]
That guy sounds like a real asshole.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Never bring crap like this up to ANY doctor.

They are jumpy enough with lawsuits, etc. waiting to jump out from every bush and body orifice at them.

As you undressed before he came in, you should have put the gun and the holster rolled up inside your pants, folded up out of sight  before he did the checkup. After the checkup, the doc alwasy leaves and allows your privacy to get dressed again. THEN you can reholster the piece out of sight, out of mind. That's why it's called concealed carry....

Many doctors are big-time know-it-all God figures, and liberal, and you upset them a great deal when you do stuff like this.

Why bother? You just want to get in there, get treated, and get out.

Now the guy is going to put up an antigun sign, which will not affect him (unless he gets robbed due to his openly disarmed state...) but will affect other patients who CCW. Now they're going to have to find another (probably antigun) doc, since that's pretty much the majority of the wimps coming out of med school nowadays.

How do I know this? I'm married to a doctor, and deal with medical people quite often as a result. Good medicos, but not too tightly wrapped as human beings, some of them.

In my Godforsaken state, even mentioning I have a gun on me to a civilian is potential grounds for losing my CCW.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#30]
You should have told him every year doctors kill more people than guns  before you left
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You should have told him every year doctors kill more people than guns  before you left

haha
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I have told doctors that before. In one ear, out the other. You might as well be speaking Sanskrit to them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Uh, if you knew you were going to be undressing, you should leave the piece in the car IMO, or wrap it up in your coat or something.

You don't just whip it out while undressing in front of your doctor.

Use some common sense.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in medical school right now and have to put up with this liberal attitude on a daily basis.  We're even taught to ask parents about gun ownership as part of our 'social history' in our family med and pediatrics rotations.  If they own guns you're supposed to tell them how important it is to either lock the guns up or get them out of the house.  Now don't get me wrong, I firmly believe it is important to keep guns locked up and under your control at all times.  That being said I view this as social engineering and a backdoor means to spread antigun propaganda by groups like the American College of Physicians, American College of Pediatrics, etc. who routinely and almost universally are against private gun ownership.  

F&ck that.  I never asked about gun ownership and would have told my attending physicians why if asked.  None of my business.  I'd tell a pediatrician where to stick it if asked that question.  And I'd ask my wife to do the same.

Quoted:
Uh, if you knew you were going to be undressing, you should leave the piece in the car IMO, or wrap it up in your coat or something.

Use some common sense.

All that being said, I agree with MP906.  If you didn't know your doc, you probably should have used some discretion and either left it in the car or at least covered your piece up with an article of clothing before he came in the exam room.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Actually, I didn't know that I was going to have to undress.  (The cough test was thrown in there for free. )  And he had me drop trow with him in the room...hence the reason I told him.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#36]

My family practice physician's gun dealer buddy sometimes stops by his office with a new toy.

My family practice physician also happens to be my brother.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#37]
What part of TX Jaltered? Im curious as to what lcoations (clinic's and hospitals) allow you to CCW?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Come to my hospital you will be asked to leave it in the car or let security hold it. You wont be carrying it IN the hospital. If you refuse to leave it in the car or let security hold it, you will leave.

Glad we don't have that shit here. The local horspital has a sign at the door, but it's meaningless. The statute used on the sign scare CCWers off is actually the statute that states CCW are allowed to carry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#39]
This clinic happened to be in Allen, TX.

Current Texas law requires hospitals (and other establishments) to provide the proper 30.06 signage to keep out licensed concealed handguns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#40]
We have had a few people hauled off by the police for not doing what was asked....Which is fine by me. To many crazies come into the hospital.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have told doctors that before. In one ear, out the other. You might as well be speaking Sanskrit to them.

Because as discussed many times before in this very forum, the statistics they used are flawed amd skewed. If you use that argument it makes you look an uneducated retard.   Why do you think no one who actually knows something about that study would not listen to you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#42]
You can find good docs, just look.  Ask around at your local shooting events, ask the DFW Crew on the hometown forum.

I had an office visit for my kids with their pediatrician one day and was wearing my NRA hat.  We talked shop for 10 minutes......the are out there.

D
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Actually, I didn't know that I was going to have to undress.  (The cough test was thrown in there for free. )  And he had me drop trow with him in the room...hence the reason I told him.

You can ALWAYS request that you be allowed to disrobe in private.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Nothing like the opportunity to tell a PHDMD about the thing us old school peeps call......."The Constitution."

Unless you're at a research hospital, chances are fairly good that your doc is an MD or a DO, not a MD-Ph.D.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Use some common sense.

Common sense seems to be a rare commodiity around Arfcom these days.  Are you expecting to "draw down" on the nurse?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:41:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use some common sense.

Common sense seems to be a rare commodiity around Arfcom these days.  Are you expecting to "draw down" on the nurse?

Wow, you guys are quick to criticize.
This seems like a pretty reasonable explanation of events.

Quoted:

ETA: And since when was CCW something you were only supposed to do when you thought there was a potential for trouble.  The most effective CCW would entail 24/7 carry. Remember the phrase "you're only paranoid until something happens, then you are prepared"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use some common sense.

Wow, you guys are quick to criticize.
This seems like a pretty reasonable explanation of events.

Quoted:

No, that's not an explanation, that's an excuse.  I haven't ever been to doctor where I have not at least had to remove my shirt  for a check.  Heck, my doc does it just for refill requests.

It's called situational awareness and thinking ahead.  Try this on for size.

"I'm going into a Doctor's office. I don't know these folks, and it's not an emergency but a planned visit.  People have been known to  disrobe in those places,  maybe I'd better make arrangements for my CHL piece.   I'll either leave it in the car or carry it in a briefcase If the receptionist looks threatening."

Think of the aftermath of this now.  You have a doctor and ENTIRE office staff telling everyone they know about the "gun carrying lunatic"" that is so in love with shooting people that he can't even get a prostate exam without having a gun in hand.

Way to win people over to the 2nd Amendment cause.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Im still trying to figure out where someones firearms views make them a bad doctor...No, no one said it did, but if your looking for a new Dr. cause of that one issue something sint right. You want someone who dislikes guns but is VERY good at his job, or someone who likes guns and well, isnt that good at his job? (Talking about Doctors here)

Im going for the person who dislikes.... But as I have already said, each his own, but damn.....

I bet your local pizza places owners dont like guns. Better go find another pizza place... What about your gas station? Better check, cause you might need to find another station....

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:59:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Im still trying to figure out where someones firearms views make them a bad doctor...No, no one said it did, but if your looking for a new Dr. cause of that one issue something sint right. You want someone who dislikes guns but is VERY good at his job, or someone who likes guns and well, isnt that good at his job? (Talking about Doctors here)

Im going for the person who dislikes.... But as I have already said, each his own, but damn.....

I bet your local pizza places owners dont like guns. Better go find another pizza place... What about your gas station? Better check, cause you might need to find another station....

+1.  I'm not going to the guy for firearms advice.  I'm going to him to live longer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Think of the aftermath of this now.  You have a doctor and ENTIRE office staff telling everyone they know about the "gun carrying lunatic"" that is so in love with shooting people that he can't even get a prostate exam without having a gun in hand.

Way to win people over to the 2nd Amendment cause.

Yeah... that's what flipped them to anti-gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top