Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 6:50:49 PM EDT
I wonder how long before Cops have to be bi-lingual.......like most hospitals and schools are demanding already

Marshalltown Police Struggle to Communicate with Immigrants
www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4461504&nav=2HAB
Marshalltown, February 6th, 2006- Communicating during a crisis is key for police, but it's a growing problem for many Iowa towns as the state's immigrant population grows.

The signs of change in Marshalltown are at every corner. A Spanish speaking church service, mandatory Spanish classes at school, even billboard advertisements in Spanish. The concessions made to cater to this growing minority population are easy to notice until you pay police a visit. Chief of police Lon Walker says, "We don't have any Hispanic police officers on the department." To make matters worse, none of the officers speak Spanish. It's a problem in a town where one third of the population, or roughly 12,000 residents don't speak English.

Like his other fellow officers, Sgt. Mike Devenney knows only a few key phrases in Spanish, but not enough to talk through a traffic stop, medical emergency or any of the other tense moments that often arise during the course of a day on the job.

Advocates for Marshalltown's Hispanic population say the only solution is a police force that is more reflective of the town it serves. Sister Christine Feagan from the Office of Hispanic Ministry says, "We need a good strong police force that is a reflection of the community. Hopefully the day will come when we do have Hispanic officers." Chief Walker says it's not because they haven't tried. He wants at least one Hispanic or Spanish speaking officer on his force, but he says most immigrants have no interest in the job, "We found there was a mistrust or distrusts of government officials to include police officers so I could only assume being a police officer is not an honorable profession for many immigrants."

In the meantime, the Hispanic population continues to grow and officers like Sgt. Devenney continue to struggle with basic lines of communication.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of Illegals working in that area in packing plants. I lived about 20 miles from there and was always surprised how many hispanics were in theat little Iowa town. I think Steyr probably would have some to add to this.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A swift kick in the ass conveys all the information necessary.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
manos arriba M**Flocker
(get your hands UP!)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
To be honest, a good portion of the "hispanic community" is not pro illegal immigration, they are portrayed as such to further an agenda.  In fact the Legal Immigrants and citizens who are of "hispanic decent" more often despise illegal immigration just as much as us "gueros" do.  That said I am now Bilingual by choice (English/Spanish) because it has become almost neccesary here in TX (I am not going to be left behind).  Luckily up here in Austin we get more of those who actually want to work legitand pay taxes than those who just want to stay near the boarder and collect.   Although being a "Sanctuary City"  for illegals  does eventually draw some leaches.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
To be honest, a good portion of the "hispanic community" is not pro illegal immigration, they are portrayed as such to further an agenda.  In fact the Legal Immigrants and citizens who are of "hispanic decent" more often despise illegal immigration just as much as us "gueros" do.  That said I am now Bilingual by choice (English/Spanish) because it has become almost neccesary here in TX (I am not going to be left behind).  Luckily up here in Austin we get more of those who actually want to work legitand pay taxes than those who just want to stay near the boarder and collect.   Although being a "Sanctuary City"  for illegals  does eventually draw some leaches.  

+1

I know several legal imigrants from south and central america that despise the illegals.

They know it gives them a bad reputation, and they drive down the labor rates of what a legal immigrant works for.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump with new information about a school that wants to HIRE ILLEGAL ALIENS
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=435156
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quite a few towns in Iowa like that (Storm Lake, Marshalltown, Muscatine...)  I knew more mexicans growing up in Iowa than I did in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My can of give a fuck is empty. Learn to speak English. Period.

I'm really getting tired of this shit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My can of give a fuck is empty. Learn to speak English. Period.

I'm really getting tired of this shit.

Did you click on the above link? the "I FLOCKING TOLD YOU IT WOULD HAPPEN link?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top