Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
Awhile back I interviewed for a few departments but didnt get the job due to health reasons..
Any way one of the questions was:
You are on patrol one night and you see a car swerving all over the road, obviously drunk. You pull the car over and you find out it is your Chief and he is extremely drunk.
What do you do??
Just curious how t=you guys would have answered..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull him out, take him home and take my promotion and take  video use the vidoe for future blackmail ammo.

But that's how I roll.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a cop, but you better answer I would arrest him if you want the job. It's the same type of question as "if you saw a friend of yours stealing from the company, would you turn him in?"
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that drunk drivers should be executed on the spot and their bodies left to rot beside the road.  I like my whiskey as well as the next man but I have -0- mercy for a drunk driver.  .357 magnum breathalizer. Go/nogo.  Instant rehabilitation. Did I get the job?

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, that's an interesting one.

I would have locked him up and called the media as soon as the jail door shut so they could put it in the paper before it got swept under the rug by the prosecutor.

Media from several different places, that is.

GR

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You offer to buy him a beer, of course.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pull him out, take him home and take my promotion and take  video use the vidoe for future blackmail ammo.

But that's how I roll.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not a cop, but you better answer I would arrest him if you want the job. It's the same type of question as "if you saw a friend of yours stealing from the company, would you turn him in?"

not a cop but I think thats the wrong answer, you don't want to make your dept look bad in the press
and that would.
call the officer in charge of the shift and let him make the call
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think that drunk drivers should be executed on the spot and their bodies left to rot beside the road.  I like my whiskey as well as the next man but I have -0- mercy for a drunk driver.  .357 magnum breathalizer. Go/nogo.  Instant rehabilitation. Did I get the job?

YMMV

You don't get the job in this country...  maybe your machines malfuntioned... I know what you are saying, but that's hasty pudding.    
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The correct answer is "Yes I would pull him over, then administer the sobriety test. If he failed, I would take him in" <wink> <wink> <nod> <nod>
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, that's tough. I am not sure what they would want to hear. I guess they would prefer you to be forthright. But in reality I guess it would depend on if you liked your chief or not. If you turned him in you could probably kiss your career good-bye. Good way to get black balled. I know a lot of cops around here that drink and drive. There is no such thing as an angel in blue. All kinds of people make dumb mistakes frome time to time in life.

On a similar note, I took a B-pad a few weeks ago, and one of the scenarios was responding to a burglary alarm. When you arrive you see one of your fellow officers sticking a pair or woman's underwear into his uniform shirt. You have 30 seconds to give a response. I believe I asked him what he was doing, and advised him that we needed to talk about this and why he was doing it. I didn't want to say I was going to report him to the supervisor because I don't think that's what the testers wanted to hear.

I think a lot of these questions just measure your interpersonal skills with people as opposed to a morality issue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok,
True story.

The sheriff of the county I live in was a notorious drunk known to drink.
A city PD officer pulled him over and attempted to....I guess detain him. He refused, left the city cops on the side of the road and drove home.

It was a pretty big deal for a while....but I don't think the local PD has the authority to arrest a County Sheriff in Texas.

Anyway he left and went home and there was no evidence a crime was committed.

I won't even get into the story of the cop that pulled him over and the shit he eventally did to end his LE career.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Sometimes , when you try to show someone a little professional courtesy...this happens:

www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/681.asp
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sometimes , when you try to show someone a little professional courtesy...this happens:

www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/681.asp

Typical bigmouth Jersey asshat wise guy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok,
True story.

A city PD officer pulled him over and attempted to....I guess detain him. He refused, left the city cops on the side of the road and drove home.

It was a pretty big deal for a while....but I don't think the local PD has the authority to arrest a County Sheriff in Texas.

I won't even get into the story of the cop that pulled him over and the shit he eventally did to end his LE career.

Correct on the above. Only another elected official (Constable) has the authority to arrest the Sheriff. I'm not sure if DPS or Feds can (i'm  sure that there is some way to effect the arrest but not clear on the legaleese)

Breacher

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok,
True story.

And who says there isn't a double standard for LEOs?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
You call your superior officer discreetly.

They arrive, assess the situation, and probably call their superior.

On and on until someone decides to call his wife to come give him a ride home.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
If he was that trashed, I'd tazer, spray and beat the shit out of him.  Leave him lay for a bit, then come rolling up to save his life.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If he was that trashed, I'd tazer, spray and beat the shit out of him.  Leave him lay for a bit, then come rolling up to save his life.

LMAO

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
This actually happened with our chief!

Officer pulls him over for failure to drive with in lane lines. Had just left a bar. Chief stated he had been drinking O'douls (non alcoholic beer). Kept telling officer "son you dont want to do this" kept violating his own policy of walking off camera.

Officer determined he was not intoxicated. Chief let loose.

Officer is continually f*cked with the next 5 years.

Also during this time period another officer pulls over chief. Lets him go with a warning (not dui related)

Officer is f*cked with until Chief leaves.

Chief  finally leaves dept. What a corrupt POS. Lucky for us his deputy chiefs are still here harassing people.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#20]
hope he is really beligrent , hope you have a dash cam, have tape accedently get released to the press

that said not sure THEY want you to answer the question
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Shoot him when he gets out of the car after you tell him to do so.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
tough call.

i would have to go with the taser option.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#23]
The district attorney for the county I used to live in (in California) was stopped by the CHP when he was 300 miles away from home...he was arrested for DUI.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Sometimes there is no "right" answer .  They just want to hear YOUR answer as a way to gauge you as a person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top