Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 2:39:14 PM EDT
Please, I'm not asking for advice as to whether I should do this, I KNOW I SHOULDNT ALREADY!!!! WHAT IM ASKING FOR IS IF I DO THIS, WHAT PRICE SHOULD I SELL FOR.

I'd hate to do it for all the reasons you can think of but two people at work want to buy my Firebird. It's a '95, 3.4L V6, I'll rate it as very good condition but not excellent.

What should I sell it to a friend/co-worker for? Here's the Kelly Blue Book values:

trade in: ex= 1,850   gd= 1,540

private sale: ex= 3,070  gd= 2,715

retail: ex= 4,365

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
$2500 and a blowjob from his girlfriend
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I never sell anything over $100 to friends or co workers
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
$3000 if he's an eager beaver buyer.

$2700 if he needs a little push.

$2500 if you want to dump it quick.

Be sure to say "No warranties expressed or implied".
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I absolutely understand this and told both of them I do NOT want to sell it to them and that if I DID, I would make them sign a paper saying that they will never, ever, ever, mention it to me or ask me a question about it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I absolutely understand this and told both of them I do NOT want to sell it to them and that if I DID, I would make them sign a paper saying that they will never, ever, ever, mention it to me or ask me a question about it.

+1.  Even if they sign that paper you will hear about it every time that car breaks down.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Even if they sign that paper you will hear about it every time that car breaks down.

Had the same thing happen to a girl that I worked with...

Her boss buys her husband's pickup.

Blows a tire, calls her husband thinking he is responsible.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had the same thing happen to a girl that I worked with...

Her boss buys her husband's pickup.

Blows a tire, calls her husband thinking he is responsible.

OK, these people are cooler than that but nevermind those issues, help me with some numbers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Come on, help me with some numbers here!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll bid $1 Bob
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you do make sure they understand the meaning of, "As Is".
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Whatever you do make sure they understand the meaning of, "As Is".

Holy crap. Cant I make it clear enough that I understand that?

Can't you guys give me some numbers? Sheesh.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I say your best bet is to check out autotrader online. See what other cars like yours are selling for in the area.

ETA: Never, ever sell cars to friends/coworkers/family, ever.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
private sale: ex= 3,070 gd= 2,715

middle of the two.

$2892.5
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#14]
$2900.  
BTW; I have a '92 Accord w very similar $#s as your truck. ($3200+) Someone at wrk asked what I'd take and I told them $3K, and that ... in order NOT TO HAVE TO GO THRU THIS BS ... $2500 for a trade-in. He offered me $2500 rght there. I told him we could split the difference and he started the violin music. We haven't spoken about cars since. Good luck & Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I start out at $2900 and have $2750 as my minimum selling price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I say your best bet is to check out autotrader online. See what other cars like yours are selling for in the area.

I've done that. I'm asking YOU GUYS what you think is a fair price for a friend.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done that. I'm asking YOU GUYS what you think is a fair price for a friend.

$2850
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]
When ever you buy a new car, if anyone around you askes, your not selling your old car.  Tell them your keeping it for a backup car.  And stick to that.  That way you don't have to make up a pack of lies and worry about family, friends, or coworkers.  After several months when everyone had forgotten, sell it to some one you don't know through an add in the paper.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Pooby,
2500 to 3 grand sounds like a good price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Pooby,

Thanks deej.

Anyone else have a price and not advice?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#21]
If it's a friend and not just some weasle at another cubicle, 2500.  Add 50 bucks for each level of annoyance.  Insist as a condition of sale they take it to an independant mechanic for an inspection.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pooby,

Thanks deej.

Anyone else have a price and not advice?

Sorry I can't give you much advice bro.  I just think that it would be a fair price for a good car.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I did it once...   We just started speaking again after 15 years...   We never fought, there was just this guilt thing every time we saw one another, so we sort of avoided one another for the last 15...   We were best friends...    Make him pay top dollar...   At least it'll be worth losing a friend for...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump for the Sunday crew.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:56:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I personally wouldn't sell that type of car to a friend.  Honda or Toyota I would, but a Firebird?  No way.  Too many problems with those things to risk a friendship.  

Put it on Ebay and get rid of it.

vmax84
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Picture?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack but this reminds me of a story.

I used to collect cars. 1979-1981 Camaros and Trans Ams. One day I went on a ride with my cousin to the auto parts store. The house next to the store was a small car dealer, 10-15 cars in the back yard. I seen a 1981 Camaro in excellent condition. We went over and I bought it for $800. My cousin was mad because he didn't have the money to buy it, I already had several cars, and I was always finding the deals.

When I think of a used car there are 3 things that need done. Tires, exhaust, and brakes. I did all three and spent a little extra money buying new wheels. American Racing Outlaw 1s, the only after-market wheels I will buy. This became my daily driver for several years. Only work I did after that was blower motor, power steering pump, and valve cover gaskets.

From the day I bought it my cousin would not stop begging me for it. Several years later he went with me to pick up my newest car, 1979 Camaro Z28 for $600. He was so mad at me we got into an argument about selling him the '81. He was driving me so nuts I finally gave in. I sold it to him for $1,000. I had more money than that in it and I didn't want to sell it. Part of the deal was that when he decided to get rid of it he had to sell it back to me, he said fine.

Two weeks later I get a call from my ex-wife. She wanted to know why my car was parked across the street from her moms house. I told her I sold it to my cousin and maybe it was someone he knew. Later I called my cousin but he wasn't home. I asked his wife if he was driving the Camaro, she said no, he SOLD THE CAR! WTF? When he got home he called me. He said he sold it to a guy he worked with for $1,300. That guy kept it for a couple of days then he traded it in on a truck at a dealership so if I wanted it back I could go there and buy it. I no longer speak to this ass hole piece of shit.

I went to the dealer and they said one of their employees bought it before they put it out. A couple of weeks later a guy I worked with asked if I still had the '81. I told him the story. He said he seen a car that looked just like it at a little corner car lot. After work I drove over there. It was my car. The wheels were changed out, the windshield was cracked, there was a dent in the door, the interior was trashed, all in a matter of weeks. The lowest they would go was $1,600. I said good-bye to my poor car.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Pooby,

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$2750.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack but this reminds me of a story.

I've got one like that:

A few years ago my oldest nephew was going away to college and needed a car.  Even though my brother (his father) makes 3 times the money I do, the family started pressuring me into selling him my "extra car" (a Toyota Corolla in very good shape kept around just in case I'm working on my truck) really cheap.

I decided that I would be the Good Uncle Java and give my nephew the car for free.  Plus I wanted to make sure it was perfect and spent over $1,000 on new tires, new brakes, new shocks and struts, new plugs, new belts, new hoses, a complete engine tune-up, transmission service, radiator flush, and all new fluids.  I even replaced the headliner that was sagging just a little it, plus swapped out all the headlights and bulbs, wiper blades, and gave it a thorough cleaning.  This car was perfect.  The next time I saw my nephew I just handed him the keys and pink slip and told him to study hard.

A few weeks later I get an angry call from my brother - he's pissed that I gave them a crappy car.  Apparently the battery had gone dead and the car kept needing to be jumped each morning until it finally killed the battery and they had to replace it.  The new one only lasted a few weeks until they had to buy a second one.  And now that one was going bad and needed to be jumped in the mornings.  I told them to check the alternator, so they got some help pulling it off the car and took it into a local auto parts store where they mounted it on their test stand and it tested out ok.  I told them to make sure he wasn't leaving the dome light on.

A month and another battery later the kid comes home for spring break, so I drive the 100+ miles down to my brother's house and take a look at the car - it's sitting there parked with the dome light on.  I brief the entire family on the operation of the switch located on the dome light.  No one even says thank you.  The mysterious draining battery problem never comes back.

A year later I get another angry phone call.  The car is running a little rough and it's also my fault this time.  After talking to my nephew for a few minutes and listening to the symptoms, I decide it's an ignition proiblem and remember that when I worked on it, the only thing I didn't replace was the distributor cap.  So I tell the kid to pop on a new one and that will fix the problem.  Instead, they take it to a mechanic who indeed finds a cracked distributor cap, and charges them over $600 to replace it, along with the radiator that has mysteriously sprung a leak.  Plus, after all this work, the air conditioning stops working for some reason.  I tell them the distributor cap was only $10, the radiator was fine, and the mechanic probably fucked up the air conditioning when he needlessly swapped out the radiator.  The family says the whole thing was my fault, and they want me to pay them the $600 back, and then pay more so they can have the air conditioning fixed.  And they don't like the Kenwood stereo that I installed because it doesn't have a CD player and they want a new one.

All this on a car that I gave them for free.  As they say, no good deed goes unpunsihed.

Needless to say, Good Uncle Java is no more.  I'm afraid when my next nephew gets his drivers license in a couple of years and the ungrateful hoard hits me up for a contribution, my only reply is going to be "go fuck yourself."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top