Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 4:20:30 AM EDT
It's the right temperature but how do I keep the caps from rusting?

Mild Bill
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Mild Bill

Cosmoline.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You could start by buying wine WITHOUT screw tops! Any wine with a screw top is not worthy of storing, ok for drinking, but not storing.

If it doesn't have a cork, you must not store!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You could start by buying wine WITHOUT screw tops! Any wine with a screw top is not worthy of storing, ok for drinking, but not storing.

+1
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]
How did you manage that "under the house" here in Florida?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Didn't they  decide that wine with caps stores and ages better.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Convert it to gun storage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Didn't they  decide that wine with caps stores and ages better.....

Maybe I'm just old fasioned

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How did you manage that "under the house" here in Florida?

Crawl space.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried to build a cellar, but all the dead bodies were in the way
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I can't find any fortified wine with corks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Lawdog's troll account has a troll account?

G
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mild Bill

there is nowhere in Florida where it will be the right temp year-round.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Florida? Unless you are in North Central, I can't see having a wine cellar underground. I'd just invest in a nice climate controlled wine storage unit for the kitchen. I have some friends with them.

- rem
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#15]
The wines I am referring to, that have corks are either real or synthetic corks. I have both types in my wine racks. The screw tops I am thinking about are the ones you find at Wal-Mart that run about $6 for a 1.5L.

As far as the $400 bottle of wine that was ruined by a broken down cork, it wouldn't happen in my house.
I would never have a $400 bottle of wine unless it was given to me or if I won the lottery.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually this was dealt with recently in a wine column I read.  WRONG!

Many top producers of wine are now going to screw caps because they ensure that the wine will not get "corky" should the cork begin to rot - which can happen.  Imagine your surprise if a cork went bad and ruined a $400 bottle of wine.  I believe that is one of the reasons some wines have switched to an inert type synthetic cork that can not rot, but still maintains the mystique of a cork over a screw cap.

A screw cap no longer relegates wine to the Mad Dog 20/20 rack behind the liquor store counter.

I would never drink Mad Dog. Mostly I have Wild Irish Rose (November) and Thunderbird (August). Those are considered real good months.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lawdog's troll account has a troll account?

G

Damned sure looks like it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#18]
MadDog . . . ah, the memories . . .
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Even the synthetic corks don't screw on and BTW, there happens to be a shortage of cork.  You can keep that screw on cap stuff in the garage.....next to the still.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I think you should be concerned about the cardboard boxes decomposing.  Doesn/t all great wine come in a box with a spout?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top