Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2006 9:16:07 AM EDT
Both of my boys have their own Colt SP1's. A whole kit. Rifles, Colt Scopes, Colt Bayonets, Colt Mags, Colt Bipods etc. I have spent a lot of time and money putting these together for them. Their ages are 14 and 9. I keep their rifles at my house.

The boys want to show their Mom's boyfriend their rifles. From what I know he is some type of gun person also. The issue is if I send the rifles with the boys the rifles will be out of my possession for about 2 weeks. I don't want to be a hardass but I'm just not comfortable with letting the boys take the rifles for a show and tell.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
send them with some nice pretty pictures instead.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a good idea
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Step away from the pipe! You have to be kidding me. Sounds like you know next to nothing about the 'Boyfriend'.

I'd send photos.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#7]
6 out of 6 ARFCOMMERS agree, dont send the boys with the rifles to the new guy's house.

This thread is over.  Next.

ETA:  Numbers changed to reflect pcsutton's vote.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell no, he might be a Colt basher.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#9]

I don't want to be a hardass but I'm just not comfortable with letting the boys take the rifles for a show and tell.

There's your answer right there. I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hell no, he might be a Colt basher.

Or he might be a Kool-Aid drinker and gaffle that shit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell no, you might never see the rifles again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Not just no but HELL NO!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Makes me feel better. I was worried I was being to much of a hardass about it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Not a good idea.  The weapons are yours until the kids are 18, right?  Then the liability for how those weapons are used is yours until the kids are 18.  The weapons should stay with you until the kids are 18.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]
What were we talking about????  Oh yeah, NO, NO HELL NO>
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Just a side note, and I am not saying this would happen because I have no idea of your
situation with you're ex
But to send a 14 year old with a AR , social services would be all over that if a call was evermade by the boyfriend
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#17]
As long as you make him promise to send back the pawn slip with your boys.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends on where you live.  I get arrested if my kids take firearms out of the house.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Nope, not really... no.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+100
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#21]
No
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Not unless you know and trust the boyfriend. Tell them they can shoot boyfriend's guns when they are with their mom.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#23]
NOPE!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#24]
YES!
Ok, I'm just fucking around.

Take pictures... Keep the guns at home...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#25]
NEGATIVE........the only time a gun leaves my house is when I'm attatched to it.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Slight edits to great points above...

Then the liability is yours. The weapons should stay with you until the kids are 18.

But to send a 14 year old with a AR , social services would be all over that.

Look, I've got an idea.
Be a stand-up dad and don't disappoint your kids.

This may be a little distasteful/uncomfortable, but at the same time you oughta know what kind of guy this is hanging around your kids, so think RECON.

Write a short note to the mother's boyfriend...

Hi Bob,
The kids are really eager to show you their rifles, and have been asking to take them over to their mom's house. I don't particularly have a problem with this, however, I can't legally let these out of my posession, especially into the hands of minors. I understand you are a firearm enthusiast yourself? If so, I'm sure you can understand.

That said, I and the kids would really like it if we could get together at the local range, I think we should make a day out of it and let the kids have some fun. Let me know if you'd be interested and what days might be good for you.

Take care,
John

Hey, you'd be there to supervise, the kids would be ecstatic, and you'd get an idea if your kids are safe aound the guy. Might find out he's real decent, who knows?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Ummmmm......NO!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#29]
It seems to be unanimous.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm just not comfortable

that's because your right, it's not a good idea. Your not being a hardass your being a good father
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Then the liability is yours. The weapons should stay with you until the kids are 18.

Look, I've got an idea.

This may be a little distasteful/uncomfortable, but at the same time you oughta know what kind of guy this is hanging around your kids, so think RECON.

Hi Bob,
The kids are really eager to show you their rifles, and have been asking to take them over to their mom's house. I don't particularly have a problem with this, however, I can't legally let these out of my posession, especially into the hands of minors. I understand you are a firearm enthusiast yourself? If so, I'm sure you can understand.

That said, I and the kids would really like it if we could get together at the local range, I think we should make a day out of it and let the kids have some fun. Let me know if you'd be interested and what days might be good for you.

Take care,
John

Hey, you'd be there to supervise, the kids would be ecstatic, and you'd get an idea if your kids are safe aound the guy. Might find out he's real decent, who knows?

Their mother won't let me near the boyfriend. I know he used to go to school with her and he has been employed by the same company for a long time.

She broke up with her former fiance because he and I liked each other. And he refused to particiapate in the hate speach she would say to my boys about me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Mr. Bama,

Only you can make a concrete decision. No matter how many Nopes, Yeps, only you can answer your question. The balls in your court.... If it were myself, the answer would be NOPE.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I think this is the only time I've ever seen everyone agree on something on here.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, I've got an idea.

Hi Bob,

Take care,
John

Their mother won't let me near the boyfriend. I know he used to go to school with her and he has been employed by the same company for a long time.

She broke up with her former fiance because he and I liked each other. And he refused to particiapate in the hate speach she would say to my boys about me.

Looks like it's her fault your boys wont get to show off their rifles. Seriously. At 9, he may be too young to understand, but the 14yo son would probably get it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#35]
send them to me (the rifles)...problem solved...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#36]
No way in hell.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like your typical psycho EX.  No offense bama, I've got a few myself.  and not no, but HELL NO.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#38]
This should have been a Poll...

Just add another No.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#39]
There always has to be one oddball that goes against the grain.  

I honestly WOULD!
But then, I am my kids' wife's boyfriend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Do you trust the Ex with the guns? Do you let the boys take them anywhere else, like Grandma's house? If the boys are responsible and the Ex is somewhat trustworthy(in regards to guns and gun owners that is) then I would consider it. Do you think either of the adults would confiscate/get rid of the rifles? Think back to when you were their age, showing off is the best!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Of a .38 and 10/22
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Let them take the kit, NO RIFLE. Ask Mom what she thinks, I assume she will be in charge of said rifles while they are out of your house.
She says no its a deal breaker she says yes she is willing to assume control I would rethink the rifles one at a time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, I've got an idea.

Hi Bob,

Take care,
John

Hey Bama, you sound like a pretty decent guy if you were able to deal, so to speak, with her past boyfriends... So I tell you what...

Be a stand-up Dad, write that note, include your phone number, and ask him to call you...
tell the 14yr old not to tell mom, and have him slip it to her boyfriend.

Now either the guy does a guy thing and goes shooting, fuck whatever nonsense she spews forth... or he tucks his tail and tells the kids, "sorry, your mom is a twat."

Either way, you're the hero to your kids.  That is ALL that matters!

*bonus is possibly befriending another one of her boyfriends, I'd bet that would really ruin her friggin' week!  Go for it dude!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Send pictures of the boys holding there guns!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I don't want to be a hardass but I'm just not comfortable with letting the boys take the rifles for a show and tell.

There's your answer right there. I wouldn't do it.

+1!

14 and 9, no way. 18 and 23, sure.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I think this is the only time I've ever seen everyone agree on something on here.  

Actually,  there was something a few weeks ago that was that way.  I wish I could remember what it was.

Is this damn board going soft???????????????
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#47]
The NAYS have it. (...and I must say I agree )
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Their mother won't let me near the boyfriend. ...................................

OK, if she's that fucked up, don't put it past her to call the police or turn you in to Social Services for giving guns to minors.........Keep the guns under your control!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn't send them. Parts will end up missing or broken at best.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
NEGATIVE........the only time a gun leaves my house is when I'm attatched to it.  

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top