Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 11:30:49 AM EDT
What can I buy from Denmark to make up for it?

What do they make besides Carlsberg beer?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Good 30.06 ammo
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't they make those Christmas tin cookies?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]
They make a lot of pork...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Really hot mail order sexslaves brides.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Really hot mail order sexslaves brides.

I thought those were from Russia?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont they make those silly wooden shoes?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Good 30.06 ammo

Bottom right corner.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Havarti & Esrom cheese..
Those funky hot dogs DkProf posted about might be worth a try if you can get them here in the USA.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Skagen watches
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
DAK brand canned ham, Sam's, Wal-Mart has it
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DAK brand canned ham, Sam's, Wal-Mart has it

Considering the nature of the controversy and who's boycotting, I would be delighted to buy ham from them.  

And Christmas cookies if I can find them.  Even from Walmart.

-K
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Havarti & Esrom cheese..

They have some excellent blue, er, "bleu" cheeses, too.

I think they'd be more worried about oilfield equipment and other heavy manufacturing stuff, though.  Consumer goods are more visible, but the big stuff is where the real money is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Baby back ribs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Havarti & Esrom cheese..

I think they'd be more worried about oilfield equipment and other heavy manufacturing stuff, though.  Consumer goods are more visible, but the big stuff is where the real money is.

I would guess this is big stuff to Danes.  Maybe the French and Germans would be more difficult to boycott as I haven't seen anything but threats to their citizens so far.

www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2017195,00.html

Supermarkets in Algeria, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen all removed Danish produce from their shelves. Arla Foods, a Danish company with annual sales of about $430 million in the Middle East, said that the boycott was almost total and suspended production in Saudi Arabia.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]
In terms of common consumer exports, the most common ones are pork products - a lot of which are baby back ribs and ham and bacon, come from Denmark.  Other products are various cheeses and beers (Carlsberg and Tuborg being the main ones).  Lego toys is a Danish company. B&O is an upscale audio manufacturer.  I think the coffee company Gevalia is Danish.

Oh - and of course those damn butter cookies!  If you like them, look for the "real" brand, which I think is called "Kjeldsen"  ... a lot of the other "Danish butter cookie" brands are okay, they are not as good as Kjeldsen.  

If you're looking for fine china, then the Royal Copenhagen brand really is one of the world's absolutel finest china manufacturers, and of the few that still makes hand-painted china.  Their Flora Danica line is so expensive it is absolutely ridiculous - but their Blue Flower, or Fluted, or Mega patterns are very nice china, and considering they are individually hand-painted in Denmark (with the most expensive labor costs in the world) they are reasonably inexpensive.

In addition that there are lots of industries that the average consumer won't necesarily run into - like shipping (Maersk) and wind power generation, and all kinds of niche electronics markets.

I'm sure I am forgetting some.

ETA:  Georg Jensen is a famous Danish silversmith, so if you are insanely wealthy, you can buy some George Jensen silverware ("acron" is the classic, and nicest pattern, IMO - but their modern stuff is nice too).

As a warning - Keep in mind that the Carlsberg beer you most often find in the U.S. may be "imported" but it is not made in Denmark (but under license in a Canadian brewery), and doesn't quite taste like Danish Carlsberg.  But I suppose the Carlsberg company gets some of the profits.  If you can find it, Tuborg is better beer than Carlsberg, and is really good beer!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Havarti & Esrom cheese..

If people start to boycott the Maersk shipping company, then it could actually affect the Danish economy.  Maersk is one the biggest shipping companies in the entire world.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a sixer of Carlsberg Elephant Malt last night. I used to drink it in college back in the early 80's. Good stuff. That's not made in Denmark?

I'm going to send the wife to get a ham (great idea considering what this boycott is about).

So, for the next round I have:

Pork products.
Cheese if I can find it.
Kjeldsen butter cookies.

Shit, I'll need an extra Lipitor after eating all that stuff.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I bought a sixer of Carlsberg Elephant Malt last night. I used to drink it in college back in the early 80's. Good stuff. That's not made in Denmark?

The strong "Elephant" version might be made in Denmark.  I'm not sure.

I do know that the regular Carlsberg pilsner I see around here is brewed in Canada.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Pr0N!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The Elephant Malt bottle says brewed and bottled in Copenhagen, Denmark, so it must be the real deal. I used to love that stuff back in the day.

Now that I know bevmo carries it, I'll pick up a case this weekend just in time for the game.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pr0N!

There's no need to pay when you have Interweb access.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Wooden shoes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Baby back ribs, yummy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Aldi stores (and I think Trader Joe's as well) sell Havarti chesse with red & green jalapeno chunks in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top