BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 5:08:27 PM EDT
Is this not wrong or what?

Rant off
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a thought this morning...  I asked who is going to pay for the flight home?  

I'd rather pay for their flight then pay $ to just about every other country in the world.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Just heard on "ABC Nightly News" that "ABC is paying for the reporters treatment" even though they were flown to the Navel Hospital.

It is interesting that they made a point of saying this.

Someone else must have already had your same concern.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
i was also wondering the same.  are we paying or is the broadcast company picking up the tab?  is this sop for civilians to use military equipment and supplies?  if you or i where in iraq and as contractors, and got hurt would we get the same treatment or would we be left to rot in iraq hospitals?  don't get me wrong it is bs that they got hit by ied from those coward pussies overthere but i think our military personal need to come first.  let the news network that smears the progress in the middle east and makes money off the reporting or our boys being injured or worse killed pick up the tab for this whole thing like john q public would have too

rant off for now just a concerned citizen looking out for the people of this country.  soldiers first of course

BTH  out
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just heard on "ABC Nightly News" that "ABC is paying for the reporters treatment" even though they were flown to the Navel Hospital.

The growth of specialty hospitals is really getting out of hand.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Civies pay for bedding with troops, including cost for meals, any health care and transportation.  They fly on medevacs and someone will pay, usually the sponsoring organization or some insurance policy.

Contractors are covered by their organizations with less requirements...but media and politicians must be covered by a primary policy which includes the transportation.

Likewise for press traveling on Air Force One.  It isn't a free flight.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
ABC should accept the fact that it's a workers' comp claim. They should pay the meds and his wage loss benefits, and if he can return to "light duty" then get his ass back to work!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
if they do have to pay i want to see a`copy of the paid invoice that has to be a 250000 dollar or more flight.  but we will never know will we?

BTH out
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The growth of specialty hospitals is really getting out of hand.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Source? I assume you're referring to American reporters getting injured?

Well, I think it sounds worse than it is. I seriously doubt that the Air Force has an entire aircraft dedicated to flying home reporters. They're hitching a ride with all the other people getting fucked up over there.

I also doubt there are a lot of commerical airliners doing med-evac trips between Iraq and the US/US bases overseas.

I can see a lot more things to get pissed about when it comes to what my tax dollars are being used for. This doesn't happen to be one of them. The reporters are Americans. We're all supposed to be united in this war, aren't we? They're doing a job over there and odds are the TV stations aren't willing to pay for their own bird and hospital in country. I'd be willing to bet that whoever the reporters work for get some sort of bill. Hell, the Air Force charges the other three services for trips, I'm pretty sure the newsies aren't getting a free ride.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I can see a lot more things to get pissed about when it comes to what my tax dollars are being used for. This doesn't happen to be one of them. The reporters are Americans. We're all supposed to be united in this war, aren't we? They're doing a job over there and odds are the TV stations aren't willing to pay for their own bird and hospital in country. I'd be willing to bet that whoever the reporters work for get some sort of bill. Hell, the Air Force charges the other three services for trips, I'm pretty sure the newsies aren't getting a free ride.

No kidding.

Compared to the billions of dollars in obscene pork and set-asides that are rolled into every major spending bill coming out of congress, this seems like a really petty thing to get worked up about.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Now if they were burying them in Arlington I can see whre someone might have something to complain about...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Source? I assume you're referring to American reporters getting injured?

Well, I think it sounds worse than it is. I seriously doubt that the Air Force has an entire aircraft dedicated to flying home reporters. They're hitching a ride with all the other people getting fucked up over there.

I also doubt there are a lot of commerical airliners doing med-evac trips between Iraq and the US/US bases overseas.

Yes, that is what they do.  On flights, the AF has scheduled medevacs going to Landsthul/Dover/Andrews etc.  When a civie has to be evaced, the flight costs, in addition to medical care, is tabulated by the total load in patients.  Flight cost, which IS well known, is divided by the number of patients and then the civie pays this amount.  It gets tricky when there are ambulatory and litter patients but it all goes the same.  And if life support equipment is required, it flys free.

There are many accountants in the military keeping tabs on this.  There is no free ride.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the AF has scheduled medevacs going to Landsthul/Dover/Andrews etc.

That much I knew... The also stop in Incirlik, Turkey. or at least they did on in 2001.
when I flew into there it was on some sort of commerical plane though... and the Turks made everyone leave the plane so they could search it. Turks are about some of the most useless fucking "allies" we have.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the AF has scheduled medevacs going to Landsthul/Dover/Andrews etc.

That much I knew... The also stop in Incirlik, Turkey. or at least they did on in 2001.
when I flew into there it was on some sort of commerical plane though... and the Turks made everyone leave the plane so they could search it. Turks are about some of the most useless fucking "allies" we have.

The Turks left my jet alone when I was there last.  The only thing I saw them for was chow.

But I digress.  Even when there isn't a scheduled medevac flight any cargo flight can quickly become one.  Just last week my plane was delayed for around five hours to wait for a soldier from A-stan so that we could take him and his three medics to Germany.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top