Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:19:10 AM EDT
Super Bowl Sunday terror chatter high

WASHINGTON – There is a high likelihood of a major terrorist attack next Sunday, say international terror analysts and intelligence sources.

The warning is made on the basis of several factors, according to Joseph Farah's G2 Bulletin:

* There is increased "chatter" in the terrorist world about a major new attack in the West – a sign often leading to an impending strike;

* The date Feb. 5 has been specifically referenced in some of this chatter;

* The date is significant to Osama bin Laden;

* Much of the western world will be watching television that day;

* The release of al-Qaida videotapes seems to provide clues about the dates of future attacks and, in this scenario, Feb. 5 becomes the most likely near-term terror strike date.

Terror attacks seem to follow the release of al-Qaida videos by about 30 days. Some intelligence analysts are noting the significance of the release of videos recently by both Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri.

Zawahiri released his last video Jan. 6, making Feb. 5 the most likely target date, according to past attacks. Some analysts suggest the release of communiqués by both al-Zawahiri and bin Laden might be the precursor to a mega-attack – something even rivaling Sept. 11 in scope and devastation.

But there does seem to be an unmistakable pattern involved in the release of videos and al-Qaida attacks.

Zawahiri, bin Laden's right-hand man, who narrowly escaped death in the Pakistani missile attack weeks ago, seems to release videos in pairs. After the release of the second video, within 30 days a major event occurs.

For instance:

# release dates of Sept. 9 and Nov. 9, 2004, were the first set of videos, followed by the Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, bombings Dec. 6.

# release dates of Feb. 20 and June 26, 2005, were followed by the July 7, 2005, London bombings.

# release dates of Aug. 4 and Sept. 1, 2005, were followed by the Bali bombings Oct. 1, 2005.

The next set started Oct. 23, 2005, and on Jan. 6, the second video followed.

That, suggests some analysts, makes Feb. 5 a likely target date. Interestingly, it is also a significant date to bin Laden. Feb. 5, 1989, was the day the last Soviet troops withdrew from Kabul, Afghanistan, signaling their defeat at the hand of the mujahedeen. Kabul was the capital of Osama's adopted country and was a major win for him and Islam. Significantly, perhaps, in bin Laden's audio release he referenced the U.S. withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan.

It also happens to be Super Bowl Sunday, when the eyes of the entire world will be watching America.

Authorities in Detroit, where the Super Bowl will be played, are certainly taking the threat of terrorism seriously. According to the FBI and Detroit police, the game will be the focal point of one of the largest security operations in U.S. history, guarding against any threats to Super Bowl XL and aided by more than 50 federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.

Including private security guards, there will be about 10,000 security personnel on duty, more than for any other one-day event in U.S. history. Radiation detectors will be stationed near the stadium. SWAT teams, bomb removal and other specialized law enforcement officials will be on hand.

Despite the recent taped messages, authorities say there are "no credible threats against the Super Bowl."
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Theres no way they can be monitoring the chatter levels.
That was ruled by most to be illegal, so they quit.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Given the almost nonexistant state of our borders and their security, I am certain that there are numerous terrorist cells in our country, just waiting for the moment they are to strike.

The Superbowl is the highest profile entertainment event in this country.  What a tempting target, and right near Dearborn.

If they have the ability to strike, this would be an ideal event.  Terrorists don't expect a military victory when they slaughter innocent, defenseless people.  They do it for the media attention.  It's free press for them, and a force multiplier.  An attack that kills a few people has a much bigger impact when it is channeled into the living rooms of millions of people outside the strike zone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Chatter is always high before the Superbowl.  AQ is into other sports besides camel races.  They are just making bets, what we should be really concerned about is who is AQ rooting for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
This is a post by sirensong from a thread in the SF. I don't know about the historical accuracy of the event, but it does make the point...stay vigilant, even when the enemy appears weak.

Originally posted by sirensong

when the mongols wanted to invade china, their first obstacle was, of course, the great wall. realizing that the wall itself could not be breached, the mongols changed their focus to the gates. one morning, the chinese defenders were surprised to see the entire mongol army drawn up in battle formation before one particular gate. needless to say, the chinese, with perfect precision, closed the gate and repaired to their defensive positions. so the mongols withdrew.

the next morning, the episode was repeated exactly. the gate was closed as soon as the mongols were spotted, and again the attackers withdrew.

after several repetitions, the officer in charge of the gate decided that, if the mongols appeared, the gate would remain open. he did, however, command a high state of readiness for the defenders.

when morning came, the mongols charged the open gate, but the chinese were ready for this, and closed the gate long before the assault could reach them.

again, this cycle was repeated every following morning.

observing this, the chinese officer commanded that the gates not be shut when charged, but that the defenders still maintain their vigilance. so the following morning, the gates were not closed when the mongols charged. the OIC was rather nervous about this, but was relieved to note that the mongols broke off their charge even though the gates were wide open. because of this, the chinese officer concluded that the mongols were cowards.

for weeks, this continued, and the mongols never once attempted to breach the gate. it became a source of humor for the chinese troops, who began to jeer at their adversaries.

there came one morning, though, when the charge was not broken off. in a panic, the chinese troops tried to close the gates, but their efficiency had waned as badly as their vigilance, and they were completely overwhelmed.

and all the wealth of china was naked before the cowardly mongol army.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I sure hope not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think they'll target the Super Bowl itself, but they might set off a few bombs around the country at a time when most Americans are glued to their TV sets.  It will ensure that they will get the maximum media effect.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#8]

We can thwart them like we did last time, by stunning them with the flash-bang combo of Janet Jackson & Justin Timberlake.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't think they'll target the Super Bowl itself, but they might set off a few bombs around the country at a time when most Americans are glued to their TV sets.  It will ensure that they will get the maximum media effect.

I won't be watching the super bowl anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I won't believe it until I read it on debka
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#11]
They're gonna hit the Olympics in Italy.
Easier due to the size of it and they will blend in easier since it will be filled with foreigners.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
al queda is moot.

yes we need to be on the watch but it is beyond obvious to me at this point they have little if any resources to strike here on a large scale. they have been bankrupted and decimated. Osama's latest offer of a "truce" pretty much proves it.

They might be a busted organiziation, but the people they have spent decades planting in America are still here.  They might not have the command and control they used to have, but there are plenty of people who can grab a bomb ar a gun on short notice.  I also believe that they do have a nuke or two, and are going to use it someday.    
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree with Twonami.

1)They've haven't staged a major attack on US soil since Sept. 11. Many of their people have been picked up here trying.

2)There is a large terrorist population in Europe (see how the Madrid bombings were done by Moroccans with Spanish and Belgian connections). They have European passports, and once you're inside the EU there's next to no border security now.

Italy's been cracking down in their own country, and doing a pretty good job. Of course, other countries really haven't. Belgium can't even arrest you for belonging to a terrorist group. They can only seize assets of that group (hence why Moroccans love basing out of there).

There's been AQ chatter that attacking the US was a mistake. It's over 4 years now and we're still killing them. Some of the AQ web folks are saying they should back off on the US, and concentrate on Europe. They've already shown that the Euros will largely cut and run, and they have the cells already there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Clancy has been frighteningly accurate before...why not this time?  

I wouldn't go.  The assholes just might get lucky.  They've had time to plan.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I sure hope this doesn't turn into another "stupidest thread ever" like mine was.

I think it's possible. But they'd have to be very sneaky about it. Last night 10,000 security workers poured into Downtown Detroit.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if other places got it though. And I'd keep an eye out for early next week, too. We all breathe a collective sigh of relief because the Superbowl didn't get hit and then, boom...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Detroiters: On Feb 5, if you see a bright light coming from the direction of Ford Field, it is not - repeat, it is NOT - the Second Coming of Barry Sanders coming to rescue Detroit Football from its pathetic state.

Edit: In all seriousness though... I think they should keep an eye on Windsor as well. You can practically throw a rock and hit Windsor from the waterfront in Detroit and there is good reason to think that it would be a delightful double-whammy for al Qaeda to detonate something on the waterfront in Canada to hit us near the Superbowl, whack out shipping lanes, and punish Canada for voting in a conservative ruling party.

More to think about. Maybe I've been thinking about it too long.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#19]
TAG
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
al queda is moot.

yes we need to be on the watch but it is beyond obvious to me at this point they have little if any resources to strike here on a large scale. they have been bankrupted and decimated. Osama's latest offer of a "truce" pretty much proves it.

I agree, but damn i don't trust those motherfugers or anything they say for one second. That "truce" BS could be real or just some ploy to put our guard down.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
al queda is moot.

I agree, but damn i don't trust those motherfugers or anything they say for one second. That "truce" BS could be real or just some ploy to put our guard down.  

Look up the term Hudna.

Don't ever let your guard down. (It's just a gesture they make so they can look merciful when they meet Allah.)

Edit: I don't know what you guys think of Free Republic but here's a link to a post they have on the SuperDuperBowl.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#22]
WND isn't what I consider a reliable news source.
I doubt Al Quaeda will or even could accomplish a major attack in the United States any time soon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
WND isn't what I consider a reliable news source.
<snip>

+ Eleventy Billion
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Clancy has been frighteningly accurate before...why not this time?  

If Clancy is correct, everyone should just camp out in the bathrooms...that is where all of the survivors were.

eta: Buying ammo...er, well, I was buying some anyhow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
al queda is moot.

I would disagree.

Jihad against us and the west in general has never been more popular....or active.

Bankrupt and decimated, huh? If impovershed Mexican families, who don't have a pot to pee in can make it over here, across our borders by the hundreds of thousands, think any moderately motivated/funded islomic nut job would have ANY difficulty?

I'm not screaming the sky's falling here, but what I am saying is that there hasn't been anywhere near enough security implimented nationally to sit back with confidence that the next 09/11 isn't well under way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I try not to get too caught up in the 'chatter' the media talk about...but for years now I have always thought that the superbowl was the perfect frame for an attack. Whether against the actual venue itself, or somewhere else at the same time...an attack of magnitude great enough to divert the media to cut away from the game and to live footage of the aftermath of an attack could have major psychological implications.....which is the point of terrorism in the first place.

The superbowl has taken a status in this county like no other event.
It gets TV rating beyond any other show each year.
Most of the country is watching the game...which by itself is a scary thought.
The billions of dollars of ad campaigns during the game demonstrate just how popular the event really is. And what better symbol of capitalism to attack?

I can only imagine what could occur, and I dont think it needs to be a dramatic attack of the venue itself (although that would surely horrify a good portion of the country). If terrorists can somehow divert the media into having to change coverage to report some event, that in and of itself will be enough to give folks a moment for pause.

I think so many people take the superbowl as an undeniable institution that interrupting it would really challenge a lot of folks. Pretty pathetic...but I think that it would have an effect well beyond 9/11, where people weren't all tuned in and watching things unfold live.

I am not particularly concerned for my own safety this Sunday...but I will be curious to see if a perfect target can come and go without incident.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#27]
PM bump
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#28]
OBL took a lot of criticism for not offering the US a peaceful settlement prior to 9/11, apparently that's a requirement before violence is permissable in Islam.

The truce he offered takes on a new relevence considering that doesn't it? It was just a legal formality to clear the way for another attack.

Seattle is about to win the superbowl, must be TEOTWAWKI.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]
interesting, but not likely.  I think they realize security would be insane.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
What ever I am going to go about my normal business....I will fall asleep before halftime because the game will be exceedingly boring.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#32]
If they try anyhting the steelers and seahacks will just run them down with amreicaj muclse.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#33]
All the more reason to exterminate them with extreme prejudice
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Remember the trite and hackneyed phrase from the talking head news media?
"Is this life imitatiing art, or art imitating life" BS?
Black Sunday (1977)

An Isreali anti-terrorist agent must stop a disgruntled Vietnam vet cooperating in a plot to commit a terrorist plot at the Super Bow
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#35]
All of the additional security had to come from somewhere. What is left unguarded/unprotected due to the absence of security?

Breacher                                                  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#36]
All of the additional security had to come from somewhere. What is left unguarded/unprotected due to the absence of security?

Breacher                                                  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#37]
If there were a terrorist attack in Detroit, would anyone notice over the usual rioting and mayhem that occurs nightly?

On a more serious note, I think some of you have a point.  Terrorists avoid security if they can, but Superbowl Sunday wouldn't be a bad day to attack somewhere else.

Also Italy.  The Olympics are more important to the rest of the world than they are to the U.S.  Face it, no one here has really paid attention to the Olympics since the 1980s and that Rocky movie. But, the terrorists aren't American, and the Olympics might be an easier target than the Superbowl.  The Olympics are a huge thing.  The Superbowl is one game, one night, in one city.  Plus, the terrorists don't care for the Italians either.

Odds are nothing will happen at either, though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Oh, I was told by a friend that "chatter" is a catch-all phrase used by the government to tell people what is going on without telling people what is going on.   To warn people without revealing how they got the intelligence and that sort of thing.  Who really knows?  It sounded plausable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#39]
My guess is the chatter is because of stuff like this.

AQ guy #1: "Hey, you hear about the SB, we should hit it"
AQ guy #2: "Yeah, we should hit the SB... oh pizza guy and hookers are here, lemme call you back."

AQ guy #2: "Sorry bout that, what were you saying about the SB."
AQ guy #1:  "We should bomb it."
AQ guy #2:  "Yeah....how???"
AQ guy #1:  "Don't know...I'm thinking about it....lemme call you back."

AQ guy #1:  "Hey, it's me."
AQ guy #2:  "Yeah, got a plan yet."
AQ guy #1:  "No waiting for Allah to inspire me.  Just wanted to say we should blow up the SB."
AQ guy #2:  "Yeah we should we should blow up the SB."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If there were a terrorist attack in Detroit, would anyone notice over the usual rioting and mayhem that occurs nightly?

On a more serious note, I think some of you have a point.  Terrorists avoid security if they can, but Superbowl Sunday wouldn't be a bad day to attack somewhere else.

Also Italy.  The Olympics are more important to the rest of the world than they are to the U.S.  Face it, no one here has really paid attention to the Olympics since the 1980s and that Rocky movie. But, the terrorists aren't American, and the Olympics might be an easier target than the Superbowl.  The Olympics are a huge thing.  The Superbowl is one game, one night, in one city.  Plus, the terrorists don't care for the Italians either.

Odds are nothing will happen at either, though.

You raise some interesting points... But I have to point to bin Laden's statement about our preparations meaning nothing in his last audiotape...

Who knows though. I am as ready as I can be. So long as they don't dirty bomb my house I'll be fine.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top