Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 11:03:42 PM EDT
My uncle has a 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass that he's restoring to driving condition. This isn't a high end expensive showroom restoration, just getting it to the point where it looks good and drives well.

Anyway, he wants to install a new camshaft and he's wondering which one would give him a boost in performance and also (as he put it) give the engine a better sound. It has the 330 CID engine with original hydraulic lifters.

He's the type that can do the work himself but isn't so well versed in all the new options, brands, technology, etc. of what's out there so I told him I'd post here first to see you guys would recommend.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Not enough info to make a recommendation. You will need to know weight of car, tranny type, gear ratios, compression ratio etc.

Best thing he can do is call a cam manufacturer and speak with them on the phone. They will be able to help him out with a good selection.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll contact him to get more information. The reason I posted here is because I figure it is unlikely anyone here has a stake in recommending a particular cam, where as a manufacturer or retailer would.

I do know that the car is basically stock except for the Edelbrock intake.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
There are many factors you need to consider before
just sticking a cam in an engine .

Now for the good news , the 67 Rocket 330 was a good
motor with a steel crank and an aggressive hyd cam .
They came in 2 flavors in the cutlass , one rated at 310 HP
and the other in 320 HP .

The downside is that they were 9-1 comp ratio motors
which means 91 octane or better .

Your best bet is to contact a Cam manf , Isky , Crane etc ..
Then tell them what you have and let them recommend the
right Cam & Lifters .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If he's got an edelbrock dual plane intake manifold on it already, their 'performer' line of cams are designed for that, and will make a nice increase in power, and sound nicer too.

They're a pretty good combo, for the price, as the cam wont run you very much at all.

Slap some headers on it, and a true dual exhaust and that 330 will sing quite nicely  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from the Edelbrock cams.. I worked for.. well... "The Fun Team" (We put the FU in FUN) for a few years.. MANY cams came back flat.. They never really got it right..

I would contact Isky and talk to them.. They are great people and know where there roots are.
Just be sure to get the kit and replace the lifters with new ones...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The 330 Olds put out good power as it was. We had a 66 Cutlass with the same motor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:07:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top