Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't mind at all.

Most of the time, when i look over at them, they ask:

"Are you on a SWAT team?"   "No."
"Are you in the military?"   "No."

Then they say, "I thought those were illegal."   My immediate reply is, "here, would you like to shoot a mag?"

They say... "no, that's OK."  I always reply.. "it's ok, i loaded this mag right here for you... i always bring extras."

Then they shoot.... LOVE IT... then proclaim..."I have GOT to buy one of these..... how did you get it?"......  I just reply, "local gun shop, they can help you."

It is all about CONVERTING them... not ANGERING or fighting with them.

But then there was this one time... there was this 5 foot 10, half asian, half american women... looking JUST like Kiana Tom.... blasting away with a springfield armory LONG SLIDE 45.

Giggity Giggity GOOOO!!!!

I get the same thing at the public range  Iuse from time to time
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
When i was at the range this morning on the pistol line, a gentleman was watching what i was doing with my Kimber Warrior and SA XD9. He walks over after we all stop to change targets/reload he says "nice kimber"

Me: Ya its nice i just need to learn to shoot.
Him. "can i be blunt"
me "yes"
him "you need lots of practice"
Me " its my first pistol just learning, any suggestions?"
him " sure"

Come to find out he instructs advance handgun classes and combat hand gun classes. He spend the next 45 min showing me stances, griping the pistol, general shooting tips. Along with letting me shoot his custom STI double stack and a limited run kimber compact he uses for carry.

But for an experienced shooter i can see how watching could be annoying. For a 21 year old kind with his first pistol it was a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
usually the people that are there disappear a few minutes after me arriving.

it might be the evil MAC, or the bumpfiring the 7.5 AR, or the .50BMG. im not sure which. They always sit and drool as im unloading the truck, but take off once i start shooting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That happens sometimes when I shoot, the very first time I took my AR out (Standard A2....), I swear 4 or five people CIRCLE AROUND ME, and they just stood there and stared as I shot, and talked about the rifle (talking to each other....), I think they were drooling, didn't bother me except that I only had one magazine, and the range had a 5 round limit, and I had to use an improvised target that I drew with a pen (the range used to provide targets so I didn't bring any, but I show up, and they have stopped doing that so I had to draw a target on a blank piece of paprer....), at 100 yards, and I could barely see it so my group was all over the place it was embarrassing....

If anyone bothers me I just take out my M-44, I don't get many coments on that one, everyone seems to mysteriously dissapear shortly after I start shooting it, and I get the range to myself....  The few comments I do get are useualy along the lines of "what is that????", the one time anyone stayed to watch was 2 guys reloading 8mm's who stopped what they were doing, and just watched in awe, they asked me what it was, and where I got it, I think they went, and got one later....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Or is it just me?

Was your wife with you?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm stared at all the time.  I go to in-door ranges,  in full clown makeup.  ....I think they are looking at my two-tone SIG.   hmmm
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I moon them, or blow them a kiss.....

Just so long as you don't blow them a kiss and then moon them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Heh, a bunch of non-socials...

I dont mind if ppl watch me or talk to me as long as they are not shooting at me.  If I noticed someone watching me I would offer them a free mag through anything they wanted to shoot of mine.

LB

Same here. I offer to let people shoot my "evil" guns as much as possible. Especially fathers and son etc. The more people I can convert to buy them, the more supporters we have of all guns and not just elmer fudd shotguns and rifles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting watched? What's the big deal. In USPSA events, most everyone is watching you when it's your turn. And then when you are waiting, you are watching the others.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I usually just put a few over their head and they leave me the fuck alone.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I normally have a .45 on my side with extra mags. and shooting an AK pistol, 1919A4, FAL and .50 cal Plus whatever else I drag along.

I really don't like the attention but you get used to it.

The 1919A4 usually throws 200rd before it stops and that usally has people standing around afterwords. Not sure if it's from when the gun was shooting or after when it's smoking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Here at the tight ass local range, if you fire more than one round a minute everyone looks at you.
faster than a round every five seconds and the R.O. shows up. NO ONE shoots rifles off hand, you have to move benches out of the way to shoot off hand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
They gawk at all my pre-2k toys I have.

I have been asked several times if they could shoot em. Sometimes I say "ok"

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
they're probably admiring your guns.

Im one of the friendly guys watching. I like to see other peoples interests and ask about weapons if they are unique or rare, or anything like mine hehe. I like chatting up the boys at the range. Meet a lot of kewl ppls
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Getting watched? What's the big deal. In USPSA events, most everyone is watching you when it's your turn. And then when you are waiting, you are watching the others.

Yep.  Shooting competition will take that shyness right out of you.

I have used Old Painless' line a few times when someone asks about an AR...

"You a police officer?"
"No"
"What you need that fancy gun for then?"
"Because shooting stuff is fun."

They usually just laugh and walk away shaking their head.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When i was at the range this morning on the pistol line, a gentleman was watching what i was doing with my Kimber Warrior and SA XD9. He walks over after we all stop to change targets/reload he says "nice kimber"

Me: Ya its nice i just need to learn to shoot.
Him. "can i be blunt"
me "yes"
him "you need lots of practice"
Me " its my first pistol just learning, any suggestions?"
him " sure"

Come to find out he instructs advance handgun classes and combat hand gun classes. He spend the next 45 min showing me stances, griping the pistol, general shooting tips. Along with letting me shoot his custom STI double stack and a limited run kimber compact he uses for carry.

But for an experienced shooter i can see how watching could be annoying. For a 21 year old kind with his first pistol it was a good thing.

Go get yourself a nice .22, buckmark or Ruger Mark III.  Put about 300-500 rounds through it before you pick up your Kimber again.  Be mindful of the things he taught you.  After this you will be a better shot with the .45 than if you had put 300-500 rounds through the Kimber in the first place!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The old men say "what the hell you want a commy gun for?" I like to avoid men with kids as their kids come up and ask 30 questions and ignore thier parents thus thier parents look at me like I am an asshole.  The absolute worst is the old geezers with 22s with telescopes fitted (I mean like 20X no shit) shooting 1 shot at 50 meters every half hour then they say you aren't supposed to rapid fire when their conversation is interupted by gunfire at a firing range.  

Go figure why I go to the range off hours and off days.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I love it I love to see their jaws hit the floor.

Especialy when I bring in the ARs and the AKs and the Saiga 12C shotgun

They ask what is that??

Its a AK 47 in 12 guage
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/4474100/105505502.jpg

FREE

jeeze...what range do you take that to?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I get annoyed by these people.

The ones that stare are always the ones that ask "Aren't them der illegal?"

In my experience it is 50/50 when it comes to EBRs.
50%: Ain't dem der illegal?
50%: Hey man...that's a sweet rifle.

I always get the; "HeyIusedtoknowaguywhoworkedinamachineshopandhesaidthatoneoftheolderguystheretoldhimthatifyoufiledalittlebitoffoftheshoulderofthefiringpinthatgunwillfirefullauto. Have you tried doing that?"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#21]
The worst people at the range are the guys who think they know everything and are doing you a favor letting you shoot.  

I always like to bring one really loud gun for asshats like that, or just shoot about 500 rounds of .223 about as fast as you can pull the trigger so they can't have any breaks to shoot.  The .30-.378 Weatherby with a muzzle break is deafening under a roof.  It will move everyone about 3 benches away from you at least as they try to get away from the blast.

I always enjoyed going to the range when I was a kid and watching people shoot things I couldn't buy and I don't mind answering questions and talking to people at the range when I am there.

For the most part I avoid having to go the range in the first place.  It is my least favorite place to shoot, the loudest place to shoot and the most dangerous place to shoot that I know of.  The only thing worse than an outdoor range is an indoor range, but they are a lot easier to clear out.  Just bring the .454 Casull, or the .500 S&W and you can clear out a place to shoot in no time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
if they ask questions that's okay but when they start spewing BS then it gets annoying.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I try to go in the middle of the day, during the week, and usually have the place to myself. The few times others are there, they are always nice, and I'm nice back. I don't  have any FAs, and had never fired one. One day a guy came up and had a FA  AK, and MP5, he spoke first, and we had a very good conversation, he was a class 3, and SOT, he offered to let me shoot the MP, and I jumped at the chance, then he offered the AK, 30rds each, I begged him to let me at least pay for the ammo, he wouldn't let me. The funnest  day I have ever had at the range. Everyone I have ever met their is nice, and everyone enjoys checking out everybody elses guns. That is part of the fun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You were wearing your Marpat bananna hammock and suspenders again, huh?

I thought I was the only one with one of those!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The worst people at the range are the guys who think they know everything and are doing you a favor letting you shoot.  

I always like to bring one really loud gun for asshats like that, or just shoot about 500 rounds of .223 about as fast as you can pull the trigger so they can't have any breaks to shoot.  The .30-.378 Weatherby with a muzzle break is deafening under a roof.  It will move everyone about 3 benches away from you at least as they try to get away from the blast.

I always enjoyed going to the range when I was a kid and watching people shoot things I couldn't buy and I don't mind answering questions and talking to people at the range when I am there.

For the most part I avoid having to go the range in the first place.  It is my least favorite place to shoot, the loudest place to shoot and the most dangerous place to shoot that I know of.  The only thing worse than an outdoor range is an indoor range, but they are a lot easier to clear out.  Just bring the .454 Casull, or the .500 S&W and you can clear out a place to shoot in no time.

The only time I've been to an indoor range and almost cleared people out was when some woman was test firing a Sig Trailside .22LR next to me.  I felt really bad for her because I think it was her first time to shoot a pistol.  The .22 made a little pop while my Glock 20 made a pretty big boom.  To her credit she didn't react to my first shots.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It don't bother me as long as they don't make alot of noise. There is usually someone else shooting at the range where I go. I'm kinda use to it.

yeah, people that make noise are annoying.  Breaking the serenity of the songs of robins.  BLAMMMM BLAMMMM BLAMMMM.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I could care less if people watch. It's a great way to meet new people who share the same hobby as me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Yea i do hate it.

Its like they are looking for you to do something unsafe or something.If i catch a mo' fo' staring at me more than once i'll set my rifle down and just stare back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:08:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Doesn't bother me.  I'll often engage in conversation to become familiar with them and their shooting knowledge.  If necessary I'll use the opportunity as a time to caoch them on shooting safety.

In fact, I'll often approach someone new to me if they are shooting, for the same reasons.  "What are shooting?", "How long have you had it?", etc.

nothing wrong with being friendly.  makes for a safer range.

Lab
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Half of the range guys are "hunters".  The military guns are not  good for hunting wild game.  Of course, they still can't hit anything using their $400+ scopes, special ammo, and pretty stocks...  They can not fire a second round worrying about the barrel heating up so all they can do is wait and watch while someone is nailing Xs on a target

Some guys are okay, others are just trying to bother you.  I perfer to have few, if any, spectaters.  If they are friends and <safely> pulling triggers, thats cool.  While I am legal, it is the people who are ignorant I do not need scoping out my toys.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Half of the range guys are "hunters". The military guns are not good for hunting wild game. Of course, they still can't hit anything using their $400+ scopes, special ammo, and pretty stocks... They can not fire a second round worrying about the barrel heating up so all they can do is wait and watch while someone is nailing Xs on a target

Those "Elmers" crack me up. That's the most shooting they do all year. They read to many main stream"gun magazines".
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Or is it just me?

Was your wife with you?

Not this time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Or is it just me?

Just you.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I dislike the people that stare at me.  I'll usually ask, "Wanna shoot this?"  Then they say "Nah."  So I'll ask again and talk a little about the rifle.  If they still say no, that's fine.  But now you should stop staring at me.

I asked if you are interested, you said no.  That's man code for, "Now stop fucking staring at me and get the hell away."
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#36]
What I really hate is when me and my GF are at the range and they stare at her and her hooters.  And when I get on Arfcom, they're always asking me, "Hey, LC, got any pics of your GF's rack that you can share with us?"

Oh...wait, that's not me, that's someone else.  LOL
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Most of the guys at my range are hunters, including  myself. I have had some really good conversations with them, most  like checking out the AR I bring. I have seen, and been privilaged to shoot some really nice, and different  hunting guns, along with some awesome old and new military style guns, that others have.   Reloaders are the most fun though, they are the ones with the off the wall calibers, and get really jacked up or suicidal, depending on how their product performs.  I really enjoy talking to, and learning from the old guys, most can teach you somthing, if you  listen.  The worst, are the GUN ENVY group, " what do you need all that for?", and "You don't need a scope on that, When I was in, we didn't need no scope", I say "yep, and the army used to move on horse back, and fire flint locks, I don't need a scope, but I love having it" the guys that think if you aren't shooting what they are shooting, you are either stupid or spoiled. Some people spend 30g  or more on a bass boat , or 20g on a motorcycle. I like guns. I'm all for what ever makes you happy. 99.9% of fellow gunners are super nice, and if you will be sociable and not afraid to talk, when its time, and most of all listen, you will always learn somthing new, and make a few friends along the way.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What I really hate is when me and my GF are at the range and they stare at her and her hooters.  And when I get on Arfcom, they're always asking me, "Hey, LC, got any pics of your GF's rack that you can share with us?" ..................................          Well, do you? LOL
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#39]
worth a bump for venting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I've actually probably a dozen people from here just because they saw my rifle and would ask "what kind of ACOG is that" or "how do you like that .308 AR vs your .223?"  I think its nice to sort of get to know the people shooting next to you.  If nothing else it makes a safer situation.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep watch to see what everyone is shooting and to make sure no one is doing something that is unsafe so I don't get shot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I seem to attract AR knowitalls who want to give me advice on what I'm doing that I already know better than they do. One tried to give me advice on the 25yd zero when I was using the 50yd sight in IBZ.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Doesn't bother me.  I've heard many compliments on my shooting style/abilities.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't like when people watch me at the range too. Sometimes I feel like asking them if they want some tips on how to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#45]
My range time usually involes a suppressed F/A Mac-10, an AR-50, a couple AR-15s, an AR-10, and whatever else falls out of the safe. I go to a range where hunters are the regulars so i invite lots of attention. I guess since I keep going back it doesn't bother me. I do spend alot more time talking than shooting though, helps out the ammo budget.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#46]
 I go to the range to shoot, not  to socialize.

Some people, nice as they are, just wont shut up.

Just as bad when someone, usually an older guy, hovers over you as adjustments are made.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The old men say "what the hell you want a commy gun for?" I like to avoid men with kids as their kids come up and ask 30 questions and ignore thier parents thus thier parents look at me like I am an asshole.  The absolute worst is the old geezers with 22s with telescopes fitted (I mean like 20X no shit) shooting 1 shot at 50 meters every half hour then they say you aren't supposed to rapid fire when their conversation is interupted by gunfire at a firing range.  

Go figure why I go to the range off hours and off days.  

lol, funny you mention that.  last time i went to the range, there was two old guys id say between 65 and 70.  one guy was shooing a lever action 22 with a large scope, while the other was spotting for him with binoculars.  the range was 25yard!.  the guy shooting took about 2 minutes to fire.  my girlfriend was like.... look at the snipers.  i laughed my ass off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Heh, a bunch of non-socials...

I dont mind if ppl watch me or talk to me as long as they are not shooting at me.  If I noticed someone watching me I would offer them a free mag through anything they wanted to shoot of mine.

LB

That's the same thing I do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Only when the are tacking pics of me shooting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
they're probably admiring your guns.

+1

I do it all the time. I'm underprivaleged.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top