Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 7:37:52 PM EDT
I am now unable to avoid and resist the urges I am having for an M1A.

Now especially seems to be a good time to get one as SA is offering their 6x40 military scope and mount for $99.

Question is which one?

I do not shoot matches (yet) but want the best I can reasonably afford.

Anyone got any experience with the loaded packages as compared to the next step up to NM models?

The loaded packages look pretty good and I have seen them run around 1400-1500 but is the NM really worth it to someone whose needs are only made up of want rather than necessity?

Was really thinking about the MA-9222 (walnut, carbon steel barell) w/ some NM upgrades.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever shot one?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
xkill,

Just a personal opinion.  I have both a SA M1A and an Armalite AR10.

If you want to shoot iron sites get the M1A.  If you want to use a scope get t he AR10.  The M1A is simply not designed to give the proper cheekweld for scope use.

James

PS - For me it is AR10 all the way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, no PeaShooter, never shot one.

I shoot an early SA M1 Garand and an Inland M1 Carbine but have only done a lot of looking at, reading about and fondling of the M1A.

Never seen anything I did not like about teh M1A though.

Do you ask from a + or - standpoint?

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Well? to be honest.
I have one, and I cant shoot it well. I think it kicks like a Mule. at least what I think a mule kicks like[:D]   I have softer shootin 308's that  I shoot better with. Its the only one that I get bruises with also?
" I know? technique I know, I know?" But thats just me I guess?
Jimmy is right also, cheekweld sucks with a scope, chinweld is more like it. I only shoot it open sights now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The American Military uses scoped M14s.
The Israli Army uses them.
You can get different stocks that have a high comb and provide excellent check weld.
Take a look at the new Hathcock M1A from
[url]http://www.springfieldarmory.com/prod-rifles-m1a.shtml#f[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top