Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/23/2006 12:00:21 PM EDT
WTF?

I picked up some chinese saturday after our Oregon Hometown shoot and paid via CC. Well today I check my balances and see that they charges me 20% for a call in take out order.

The bill was $34.10 and the charge was $40.92. I circled the amount and signed but did not zero out the tip and total areas!

I feel kinda stupid as I make it a habit to circle the total and cross out the tip area.

[/rant]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
pretty common around here
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I zero the tip and rewrite the subtotal as the new total when presented with such a situation.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Cape_hunter: If you didn't authorize the tip part, I would dispute the charges with the CC company.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
it's your fault for eating chinese
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]
NEVER EVER leave the tip section blank.

I always mark it out and re-write the total.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Always write the tip and the total.

Otherwise, disputing is going to be difficult.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cape_hunter: If you didn't authorize the tip part, I would dispute the charges with the CC company.

+1

I do not add tips to take out orders. No service, no tip.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of bucks fot the to-go/bartender is reccomended.  Not as much as you tip a server generally but a few bucks are a good idea if you want good food and not leftovers.  If your going to be an asshole and not leave a few bucks be sure your food is ready before you pay.  Some companies like Red Lobster/Olive Garden don't allow tip jars, generally this is common.  Just courtesy.  If gratuity is compulsory it just means the clientel is shit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

agreed
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Do you like jizz and pubes in your take out food?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Homer: Mmmmmmmmmm . . ..  jizz and pubes .  . .. .  [drool]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Homer: Mmmmmmmmmm . . ..  jizz and pubes .  . .. .  [drool]

Hes not that far off trust me.  I would not make a habit of not tipping and be a regular, that is a virtual certainty you are getting bad food with some "extra".  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
At the restaurant where I work, the take out crew's income is partially based on them being tipped.  Certainly not to the same extent as the servers, but as posted above, a couple bucks goes a long way to getting good service in the future.

BTW, as a public service announcement:  Servers make $2.13 an hour.  If you can't tip at least 15% of your bill, eat at home, you are wasting my time, I could have a table of decent people.  *Assuming decent service, of course.* And please don't sit at my table for 20 minutes after you've paid, I could be making money with that table.  [Rant off]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Please explain to me, if a person calls in for a take out order someone deserves a tip for no service.

You walk in, where's my food, here's the bag, sign here. No service, no tip.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Please explain to me, if a person calls in for a take out order someone deserves a tip for no service.

I agree with you.

I just view tips as ransom money to keep them from putting nasty shit in my food.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
FYI, restaurants typically add a certain % to all CC transactions to leave room for tips to make sure you have enough credit.  Then a few days later the actual amount is billed to the card.  Are you sure this is not the case here?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]

BTW, as a public service announcement: Servers make $2.13 an hour. Your Choice, not ours.If you can't tip at least 15% of your bill, eat at home, you are wasting my time, I could have a table of decent people.*Assuming decent service, of course.* And please don't sit at my table for 20 minutes after you've paid, I could be making money with that table. If you dont want us hanging out, find a different job. [Rant off]

Also, I expect you to pay full sticker price on a car. When and if the time comes where you have to sell your home, I expect you to pay 6%.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
At the restaurant where I work, the take out crew's income is partially based on them being tipped.  Certainly not to the same extent as the servers, but as posted above, a couple bucks goes a long way to getting good service in the future.

BTW, as a public service announcement:  Servers make $2.13 an hour.  If you can't tip at least 15% of your bill, eat at home, you are wasting my time, I could have a table of decent people.  *Assuming decent service, of course.* And please don't sit at my table for 20 minutes after you've paid, I could be making money with that table.  [Rant off]

Thank you for that.  Further compound what he said with the fact most restraunts require/expect about 2+% go to bussers and bar.  Can't tip stay home and don't sit at the table for 3 fucking hours either.  Can't say this is the same everywhere but here in Louisiana servers of any race or gender mainly do not want to see 2 types of people at thier table hoodtrash and rednecks.  Not because of what they are but because they are 2 groups of people that 70% of the time tip shit if at all.  I feel I must say also that in defense of black people that around 30% of the time they tip exceptionally it is the other 70% that is the problem.  This is not about racism it is about money and dip[shits wasting my time expecting great service with little or no return.  A few bones for the to-go person goes along way.  As far as the server.Can't tip stay home    
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I worked as a hostess in a Steak house...we had to get the to go orders ready.  Who do you think packages up all that stuff?  Certainly not the line cooks.  They put it on a plate.  The hostess or bartender typically has to get all that stuff ready, make the salad, ladle out the soup, package up your burger, make sure it has condiments and silverwear and napkins, make sure everything is right with the order.

I'm not saying a 15 percent tip.  But a buck for one meal, or a few bucks for a larger order is being decent.

Especially if you go there alot.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FYI, restaurants typically add a certain % to all CC transactions to leave room for tips to make sure you have enough credit.  Then a few days later the actual amount is billed to the card.  Are you sure this is not the case here?

I have seen wholesalers do that never a restraunt?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
NEVER EVER leave the tip section blank.

I always mark it out and re-write the total.

Me too. Just can't trust people anymore.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

First off, I tip what I think you're worth! Anywhere from 10-20%. Sometimes even higher if service is exceptional. Or, if you're hot and flirt with me, I've been known to tip more than 50%  

Second, I will sit at that table as long as I want. I paid for my meal and I paid your tip (To Insure Promptness). If you don't like the $2.13 you make per hour, go get another job.

And, if I am at a buffet where I have to serve myself, I usually leave only $1 per person to have the "server" refill my drink or pick up my dirty dish.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A tip is customary when one is served for a full meal or part therof.  It is how the server earns the bulk of their money and the amount to tip is usually left up to the customer.  Anything less than 10% is insulting and exceptional service should bring 20%.   There is no need to tip for takeout and delivery drivers I customarily tip $1 if the food is hot when it gets to me.

Your a cop your food is likely fucked with regardless.  So I guess you have an excuse they don't.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A tip is customary when one is served for a full meal or part therof.  It is how the server earns the bulk of their money and the amount to tip is usually left up to the customer.  Anything less than 10% is insulting and exceptional service should bring 20%.   There is no need to tip for takeout and delivery drivers I customarily tip $1 if the food is hot when it gets to me.

Your a cop your food is likely fucked with regardless.  So I guess you have an excuse they don't.

So you screw with cops food on purpose?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I am a generous tipper usually 15-20% for ok service and have tipped 30% for great service. Tip the pizza guy well and any delivery too. But no way in hell am I tipping for a call in take out order ,and not that I would ever go to starbucks but I find tipping for a freeking cup of coffee insane as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I knew someone who would sit down at a restraunt and put out a pile of dollar bills equal to more than 20% of the meal.  Everytime something was not right he would pull off a dollar bill.  Wait for the water glass to be refilled. there goes a dollar.  Food not out soon enough, there goes another dollar.  He would tell the waiter/ress at the begining.  He usually had great service.  

I think it was/is an assholeish thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I knew someone who would sit down at a restraunt and put out a pile of dollar bills equal to more than 20% of the meal.  Everytime something was not right he would pull off a dollar bill.  Wait for the water glass to be refilled. there goes a dollar.  Food not out soon enough, there goes another dollar.  He would tell the waiter/ress at the begining.  He usually had great service.  

I'm suprised he gets good service.  I worked for restaurants for years.  Trust me when I tell you, STOP going to eat with this guy.  

He's going to end up with hepatitis.  Don't be collateral damage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me personally no.  However let me breakdown a typical restraunt staff.  On the line(kitchen) predominantly black or latino thier is usually a few convicted felons.  60+% of the staff are pot smokers and and have other "excess" habits.  30% are likely to have more serious habits.  10-20% of the day shift staff is still coming down as the shift starts around 11:00 A.M.  Their are usually 2 dealers minimum on staff at almost any restraunt.  One job I started the kitchen staff was betting on my badge# seriously!  I have never been a cop.  What part of any of what I just told you makes you think restraunt employees are fans of LE?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I certainly dont have a problem with tipping when I go out. I also have over the last 8 years spent alot of money at this resturant. I have three kids that love chinese food so its not like a spend 10-12bucks when I go. When we eat there we tip well as the food and service is always great.

But adding 20% on to my bill without my autorization is a nogo in my book. It is no different that stealing my CC numbers and using to purchase an item.

I spoke with the bank and they said that it may have been a charge like one poster said and that it may go away after a few days. Then she looked at the amount....exactly 20% and said, "oh, this doenst look like one of those times."

I know this is partially my fault for failure to CYA by zeroing out the tip feild but that still is no excuse.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me personally no.  However let me breakdown a typical restraunt staff.  On the line(kitchen) predominantly black or latino thier is usually a few convicted felons.  60+% of the staff are pot smokers and and have other "excess" habits.  30% are likely to have more serious habits.  10-20% of the day shift staff is still coming down as the shift starts around 11:00 A.M.  Their are usually 2 dealers minimum on staff at almost any restraunt.  One job I started the kitchen staff was betting on my badge# seriously!  I have never been a cop.  What part of any of what I just told you makes you think restraunt employees are fans of LE?

That's the reason, I would NEVER eat at a restraunt in uniform.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#34]
On the bright side UPS just dropped off 150 rounds of BMG ammo.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the reason, I would NEVER eat at a restraunt in uniform.

Eat where you can see your food made while in uniform.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I usually give them a couple of bucks,

not 15%

but they have to box it all up, put in the silverware, get any bread butter anything like that.

Plus that's usually their shift for the night (Like Zio's where they bring it to your car)

so I understand that that tip is helping them pay their bills.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Your salary comes from your employer, not the customers, and you agreed to work for it.  Tips are not mandatory.  If they were, they'd be fees.  If you don't like what you're making, get a better job.  If your attitude at work is anything like your post, that might be why you don't get better tips.

Sorry.  Not trying to be a jerk, but expecting a tip automatically really rubs me the wrong way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]
This was probably NOT the restaurant's doing---it was the waiter/waitress.
See, when ya run a card thru, it clears, but the transaction stays suspended in the system so you can go back and add the tip the person writes in.
Restaurants do not give a rat's ass if the waitstaff gets tipped or not. Unless it's their policy to add 20% to take out (which is ridiculously high for take-out---I average 20%+ on in house orders only) I would photocopy the receipt and lodge a complaint with the credit card company who will investigate. If the waiter/waitress did it without the restaurant specificically calling it out in their menu, it's considered fraud and punishable by law.

<---your friendly and often undertipped ARFCOMM weekend warrior of the waitress variety.

ETA...Slighthijack since I've now read the rest of this thread:
Reataurant Factoids:

Most waitstaff works harder than you know: we get your food order and we bring it to you. We often are responsible to make sure it gets "dressed" (parsley etc...) We prep, clean, and keep stuff running, We're there long after the place closes, cleaning and while you're there, we're re-stocking stuff constantly.

We fight with the cooks when your order is taking too long. I've had yelling matches with cooks over the meals of strangers. WHY? Because if the cook screws up, it doesn't matter to him/her: he/she still gets his salary. BUT WE PAY for his/her mistake.

Anything less than 15% tip is a slap in the face, as another has said. I average 20-28% at my brother's place. I am a damn good waitress when I am on my game. I have had my off days though: and when I do, I apologize and go out of my way to fix it (I've never avoided a customer). If you cannot plan to leave at least 20%, go to McDonalds...save everyone the heartache--or order takeout, but not at the Chinese place Cape Hunter went to!

Lingering at a table long after you're done if there is a wait at the door is rude and inconsiderate. Sorry: we make our money on turnover. The more tables we turn, the more we sell. The more we sell...you get the picture. If your meal was 40.00 and you tipped 6.00 and sat there 3 hours, you've cost me around 25.00 (from all the parties that went to another restaurant or another server's section because you squatted in mine). Wanna linger and chat? Sit at the bar or go to a bar...I have people to feed.

Don't let your kids run around: I may be small, but I move like a freight train when I have 5 dishes on my right arm and one in my left hand. They run into me---someone's gonna get hurt. PLEASE keep kids with you!

Lastly...Please and Thank you are STILL the golden words! We're waitstaff, not jackals. Speak to us kindly with manners and trust me, we'll take on the 300 pound cook and get your steak that perfect shade o'pink in the center!

FTR??? I have a mental note of good tippers and lousy tippers in my brother's place. The good tippers NEVER ask for a re-fill...I never let the coffee go dry. The bad tippers are parched before I "Notice" them. Let me tell you, if you're a "regular" somewhere and you're not tipping well...next time you ask 4 times for more coffee, you'll know why.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#39]

In my opinion the whole tip thing is getting out of control. Like someone just stated before, it is like paying someone to not spit in your food. I am sick of hearing that servers only get $2.15 an hour. Who gives a flip. My sister worked her way through college at that wage. I KNOW the cooks get paid a decent hourly wage. I also KNOW that the stirfried rice or burger that you just ordered does NOT cost $8.50 to make.
  Just a few short years ago it was acceptible to tip 10% . Now 15-25% is EXPECTED. That is climbing way faster than the cost of living. The price of the food itself has climbed considerably too. Pretty soon a quick lunch at Micky D's will cost $10.00 with a nice tip thown in so they won't shit in your burger. I know the owners of most of those restaurants are getting a fat wallet at the expense of their employees. They should just include the cost of their wages into the cost of the food and let us decide if they did an outstanding job or not. I for one think that most of my servers at restaurants do a shitty job because they know they will get a tip no matter what.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see it happens all the time.

I get take out from a restaurant regularly and if I use a check card and check my bank account immediately after it'll always show a bit higher than the recipt I signed. It goes back down after a day or two.

I'd wait a couple of days before making a stink at the restaurant.

Do you have your copy of the recipt?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

When servers claim on their taxes what they ACTUALLY take home nightly, then they can bitch. I managed many a restaurant where servers consistently made more than the 8% of sales we required for them to declare.
Servers never claim what they earn, resulting in tax-free income.

And I'll sit at your table as long as I want. (Maybe you as a server could offer more drinks or something from the dessert bar instead of presenting the check so fast, we are forced to pay and leave.) The longer we sit there, the more opportunity you have to sell us something. (Sales=tips)

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. You think your customer isn't going to tip you, your service will show it and you'll get a crappy tip. Imagine that!!

(As far as tippping for to-go orders. Not happening. Do you tip the person behind the counter at Papa John's when you chose to carry out?)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I had this happen to me once at the NASCAR cafe in Nashville.  It was a dine in meal and I tipped 20% cash to the waiter.  In the tip line, I wrote cash and copied the total to the total line.  The next day, when I checked my balance, it was way off.  I found out what happened and immediately notified the bank.  They took it off immediately.  I called the restaurant and complained.  They gave me a gratuity meal and apologized.  Apparently, this waiter had been doubling up on tips by collecting the cash tips and still charging on peoples cards, even with the actions I took.  He was fired.  After that, I didn't have any more problems there.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see it happen all the time.

I get take out from a restaurant regularly and if I use a check card and check my bank account immediately after it'll always show a bit higher than the recipt I signed. It goes back down after a day or two.

Yes I have the receipt.
I will give it another day to see if the charge changes. It is unlikely though given the amount that it is.
CH
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When servers claim on their taxes what they ACTUALLY take home nightly, then they can bitch. I managed many a restaurant where servers consistently made more than the 8% of sales we required for them to declare.
Servers never claim what they earn, resulting in tax-free income.

And I'll sit at your table as long as I want. (Maybe you as a server could offer more drinks or something from the dessert bar instead of presenting the check so fast, we are forced to pay and leave.) The longer we sit there, the more opportunity you have to sell us something. (Sales=tips)

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. You think your customer isn't going to tip you, your service will show it and you'll get a crappy tip. Imagine that!!

(As far as tippping for to-go orders. Not happening. Do you tip the person behind the counter at Papa John's when you chose to carry out?)

Throwing a pizza into a box or pouring a cup of coffee is a bit different than an entire office getting take out at say, Chili's, or the 99.  And it's usually the hostess or the bartender that gets the job of putting together take out.
If you're getting take out for a slew of people at the office, it's a nice thought to throw a couple of bucks at the person that will make sure the order is "in order" and has all the condiments and silverwera it needs.
It's a nice thing.
If you don't want to be nice, then so be it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see it happen all the time.

Yes I have the receipt.
I will give it another day to see if the charge changes. It is unlikely though given the amount that it is.
CH

They way I understand it is that they put in something like 20% increase since your tip is likely to be under that amount. That way when it clears they're sure that there's enough money available to cover the bill plus whatever tip you're about to write in.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

yep some people really show how stupid they are when the bitch and moan about this.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

what a cock sucker
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If you don't want to be nice, then so be it.

That's chip-on-the-shoulder-waitstaff code for "I'm going to fuck with your food"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Servers never claim what they earn, resulting in tax-free income.Generally CC tips are reported 100%(majority of tipps are CC) and most restraunts require a X% to be reported beyond the 8.4% legally required

And I'll sit at your table as long as I want. (Maybe you as a server could offer more drinks or something from the dessert bar instead of presenting the check so fast, we are forced to pay and leave.) The longer we sit there, the more opportunity you have to sell us something. (Sales=tips)  This assumes the patron does the right thing, Campers how we refer to them seldom do.  The tip amount is inked or decided as soon as the book hits the table 80% of the time and they still sit

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. You think your customer isn't going to tip you, your service will show it and you'll get a crappy tip. Imagine that!!Simple law of statistical average, wait tables for more than 2 weeks and you will know generally what certain groups do the majority of the time.  Soup and Salad customers at lunch are a perfect example.  Low check amount shit tip 90% of the time, compounded by extra trips and time required

Different they dont have to run down and gather 20 things for you nor is tip implied.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

In my opinion the whole tip thing is getting out of control. Like someone just stated before, it is like paying someone to not spit in your food. I am sick of hearing that servers only get $2.15 an hour. Who gives a flip. My sister worked her way through college at that wage. I KNOW the cooks get paid a decent hourly wage. I also KNOW that the stirfried rice or burger that you just ordered does NOT cost $8.50 to make.
  Just a few short years ago it was acceptible to tip 10% . Now 15-25% is EXPECTED. That is climbing way faster than the cost of living. The price of the food itself has climbed considerably too. Pretty soon a quick lunch at Micky D's will cost $10.00 with a nice tip thown in so they won't shit in your burger. I know the owners of most of those restaurants are getting a fat wallet at the expense of their employees. They should just include the cost of their wages into the cost of the food and let us decide if they did an outstanding job or not. I for one think that most of my servers at restaurants do a shitty job because they know they will get a tip no matter what.

Well Jake, that makes no sense. Tips are NOT guaranteed. I've been stiffed...shit, I even had a couple (middle aged, mind you) come to the chain I worked at and pay a $37.00 check with a 25.00 gift cert and a ten and RAN OUT. Yup...Not only did they not tip me and occupy my table for nearly 2 hours, they stiffed me 2.00.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top