Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 5:29:28 PM EDT
I went out to start the vehicle and it was completely dead.  I popped the hood so that I could jump it and found that some lowlife had taken my battery.

I'm more mystified than angry about it.  Why would somebody risk a criminal record over a battery that they could purchase for 40 bucks?

On a side note - the battery was eight years old!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I went out to start the vehicle and it was completely dead.  I popped the hood so that I could jump it and found that some lowlife had taken my battery.

I'm more mystified than angry about it.  Why would somebody risk a criminal record over a battery that they could purchase for 40 bucks?

How do they get the battery? Did they get inside to pop the hood?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
How did they get into the engine compartment? Is your hood latch damaged in anyway?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That is .

Kinda like someone breaking into your house to steal the ice cube trays.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
They popped out a section of the grill.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If that battery is 8 years old , you got your revenge already .
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF??

Maybe someone did it just to mess with you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

People have committed murder over far smaller amounts of money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You were going to need a battery sooner or later anyway
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WTF??

Maybe someone did it just to mess with you.

Nah, I don't think so.  I haven't had any conflicts with anyone as I'm such an easygoing guy.

Besides, I had a one year old Highlander parked right next to it which would have been a much more inviting target if somebody was wanting to cause mayhem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Here ya go, I ran my ass down the street and I.D.'d him, hope this helps.  Ask around with your neighbors and see if that's anyone's radio in his hand.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry, but thats kinda funny to me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You were going to need a battery sooner or later anyway

The first thing that went through my mind was that this battery had finally died after a VERY long life.

Stealing an eight year old battery is like stealing some worn out flip-flops.

Oh well, anyone that stupid is going to get caught someday.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope he's not thinking of coming back for your new battery.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
WTF, I didn't think they still did that
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
the battery was eight years old!

What brand did you buy and where can I get one?

I've had my battery stolen from my car while it was at the mech. he said crack heads will steal 'em and take them to a pawn shop. I don't go to pawnshops so I never really knew if they did indeed buy car batteries
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is why I follow a policy of leaving nothing of value in my car and leaving it unlocked. This way they can steal my battery without destroying anything else, they can get my radio without having to break the window. Radios are cheaper than windows, grils are more expensive than batteries, get it?

Actually, the local Sheriff here just recently caught a group of kids (six total: aged 14-21) that were stealing things out of unlocked cars.  They "broke into" over 20 cars over a period of a couple months.  Eventually, the local PD parked an unlocked car on the street and did a stakeout.  They caught a couple of them and they sung like little jaybirds.  

...and the best part...each theft is a felony.

Stupidity should be painful.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the battery was eight years old!

What brand did you buy and where can I get one?

I've had my battery stolen from my car while it was at the mech. he said crack heads will steal 'em and take them to a pawn shop. I don't go to pawnshops so I never really knew if they did indeed buy car batteries

Actually, the car is a '96 Honda.  I purchased it in '98.  I'm am only claiming that it was eight years old as that is how long I have had the vehicle.  Mostly likely, the battery was original when I purchased it.

So, it most likely was whatever Honda was stuffing under the hood in '96.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I hope he's not thinking of coming back for your new battery.

Yeah, I already thought about that.

I really do need to get those motion sensor lights up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#21]
20 years ago, in a time before interior hood releases, thieves would steal the old battery and come back again 3 days later to steal the new one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]
stole a car battery

man that's just wrong
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
20 years ago, in a time before interior hood releases, thieves would steal the old battery and come back again 3 days later to steal the new one.

Hmmmm...I may need to lock myself under the hood and do a little stakeout!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like the thief is the kind of idiot who may just dump his old battery out by his curb.

Someone who'd risk so much for a car battery can't be very smart.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This is why I follow a policy of leaving nothing of value in my car and leaving it unlocked. This way they can steal my battery without destroying anything else, they can get my radio without having to break the window. Radios are cheaper than windows, grils are more expensive than batteries, get it?

There ya go - Why make it hard for 'em?

I'm going to follow your example, and leave the doors to my home ajar tonight. Maybe I'll even leave some cookies and milk on the kitchen table...

BTW, have you thought about leaving the car keys on the hood? (Steering colum locks are expensive, too!)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#26]
It's called Midnight Auto.  The perp had a bad battery and needed a new one.  No auto store nearby.

Midnight Auto, Five Finger Discount.  Instant mobility.

Not endorsing it, just explaining.

Get the replacement from Wallyworld.  They honor the warranty with no hassle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Lootie's Back!

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Ain't dat a beoitch!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've worked plenty of entering autos where the owners leave their car unlocked to prevent a window from being smashed out, only to find their windows smashed out.  Crackheads and scumbags don't have enough common sense to check to see if a car is unlocked.  Personally, I think they enjoy smashing out a car window.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here ya go, I ran my ass down the street and I.D.'d him, hope this helps.  Ask around with your neighbors and see if that's anyone's radio in his hand.

i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/bigblackrifle/e098bfea.jpg

That is too funny!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That was my policy until recently. I figured, "Hey, it's a cheap and worthless '91 Ford Taurus. If someone steals it, it's got some pretty unique rust and paint patterns (two tone) and some unique bumper stickers. Unless it's driven into the lake, I'll be fine." All it had in it of any relative value was a pack of smokes I'd left on the seat.

Then, about two weeks ago, someone just got in my car and vandalized the f*ck out of it: slashed the upholstery, pissed in the back (it was a hatchback/stationwagon), smashed up the dashboard and speedometer, broke all the interior lights, and (it looked like) they tried to light the damn car on fire with cigarette butts from the pack I'd left in the car and a lighter.

And no, I don't live in a "bad" neighborhood, either. The car was sitting right under a street lamp across from my house (no driveway). This is right next to a fairly ritzy "retirement home" for financially well-off people, and it's a stone's throw from some really nice ($200k+ - in South Dakota) historical houses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top