Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:57:01 AM EDT
I'm moving to a new place, one that apparently has had a few vehicle break-in's, so I need to finally break down and get an alarm for my Jeep.  It wears the soft top most of the time, so the alarm will need a proximity sensor, and I'd like to get a hood sensor as well.  Who can recommend a good  Jeep alarm, or just a good car alarm in general?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
anything manufactured by Directed Electronics, installed by a competent installer, should be good
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The best alarm is to not have anything in the Jeep worth taking. Alarms are next to worthless as we've all become accustomed to hearing false alarms so much now, we ignore them. Otherwise, a slide-out removeable stereo may be your best bet, that's what I did.

And yes, I'm on my second Jeep if you're wondering.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
An alarm, might be nice, but a hidden kill switch or two would help it from driving off without you in it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
an alarm might be a decent deterant..........I would invest in one but also invest in one of those lockable trunks to store things in, and if I had a nice radio in her I would get a very secure center console that has the locking door for the radio.
good luck
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

Go with a Viper responder.  The key-fob will alarm if a sensor is set off.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
D.E.I.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, keeping valuables out of your car and installing a hidden kill switch that would stop a person from hot wiring it/push starting it would be a good idea.  Oh, and getting a removable sterio might be good too.  

On a side note, I had someone break into my car and steal the face of my sterio off.....not the whole thing, just the sterio face.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Figure out a way to TURN THE MOTHERFUCKER OFF within about 15 seconds of the time it starts wailing, so that the neighbors do not have moral justification for beating all the glass out of your car and then setting it on fire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
anything manufactured by Directed Electronics, installed by a competent installer, should be good

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The best alarm is to not have anything in the Jeep worth taking. Alarms are next to worthless as we've all become accustomed to hearing false alarms so much now, we ignore them. Otherwise, a slide-out removeable stereo may be your best bet, that's what I did.

And yes, I'm on my second Jeep if you're wondering.

Yeah, thats pretty much been SOP for me.  Jeep has lived outside most of her life, and in my last apartment it was never an issue, but I kept anything of value out of the vehicle.  Its got a factory stereo that they can HAVE for all I care, its a piece.  I've got the add a trunk, also a piece, I'm looking into a metal gear locker for the back.  Ever want to put a sign on your Jeep that says "Attn Thieves: The windows of this vehicle ZIP OFF, please don't slice up my top to rob me!"

Main purpose of the alarm is to remind me to run outside with my 870, rack the slide real loud, and cause every nearby hoodlum to mess himself at the sound of a shotgun going into battery! (arfcom sarcasm)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Figure out a way to TURN THE MOTHERFUCKER OFF within about 15 seconds of the time it starts wailing, so that the neighbors do not have moral justification for beating all the glass out of your car and then setting it on fire.

Boy, you really know how to be a buzzkill!!!!    
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy, you really know how to be a buzzkill!!!!    

It was an elective honors seminar I took during my 3d year of law school. It was a joint presentation of the College of Law, the Highway Patrol, and the Department of Revenue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Clifford G4 or G5,  and find the best installer you can afford.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#15]
make sure it's sensitive.  oh how i love setting off car alarms with my exhaust....................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top