Specs ????
Price????
what do you got???
Thanks
BIG
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Odd, to say the least.

Looks like it was designed by Ikea. Probably appeals to the same demographic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link, PIC?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks pretty cool

Power is supplied by a 3.4-liter V6 engine equipped with a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) supercharger that creates 250-horsepower. The engine is paired with a four-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel-drive with low range. The FJ Cruiser rides on a modified Tacoma pickup platform and is equipped with rear coil-over long travel suspension, 20-inch wheels and 33-inch tires, and a TRD cat-back exhaust.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The fenders look high cut, even with 33" tires. However, I'm leery of the coil over's in the rear end.
Taco's use leafs in the rear and it works well....and so did the FJ's...until now. Time will tell.
I was hoping for a 22R type engine. Supercharged and low range don't exactly go together!
The tires look modified terra's. Big squares, 100% non directional. I've always wanted a early 70's FJ wagon w/ 4 banger in it. They are/were incredibly dependable rigs.
I've still got my fingers crossed for a drizzle fuel Tacoma/Tundra....4 cylinder would be nice. 30:1 compression and a super low gear ratio.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Priced at only $47k MSRP, right?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it.......
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
it's their foray into the land rover/hummer market; kinda the resurrection of the old land cruiser.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

2wd is around $21K $wd is around $23k

I am going to get one, they are not that pricy for what they are. I like the washable tub, big tires/clearance from the factory, also they look good with the roof rack and brush guard
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]
man, some od paint and a gun ring on top and you'd have yourself a cool little gun truck there...

along with the brush guard and all that...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Price is supposed to be in the mid $20's. I don't care for the IFS much. There are lockers as a option and in the future maybe a removable roof. Now if we could just talk Toyota into a diesel like the other 10 million Landcruisers around the world.......
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
If Toyota is trying to break into the Jeep market, they are doing a piss poor job of it.

NO removable top

NO roll cage

five bucks says NO LOCKERS, though that is correctable  ( ETA: DAMN...there goes five bucks!!!)

NO CLASS.....

The original FJ40 was a sweet little critter.....simple, durable, manueverable....

This looks like it was designed by some jackass who's never been on a dirt road let alone OFF ROAD.

And I am sad about it.  I was REALLY and SERIOUSLy hoping for some hardcore competetion for the Wrangler and the Rubicon....Toyota really let me down here.

Ah well, as we say....ONLY IN A JEEP!!!

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2wd is around $21K $wd is around $23k

I am going to get one, they are not that pricy for what they are. I like the washable tub, big tires/clearance from the factory, also they look good with the roof rack and brush guard

That's not too bad.

I wouldn't mind a Taco with drizzle sauce, though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If Toyota is trying to break into the Jeep market, they are doing a piss poor job of it.

NO removable top

NO roll cage

five bucks says NO LOCKERS, though that is correctable  ( ETA: DAMN...there goes five bucks!!!)

NO CLASS.....

The original FJ40 was a sweet little critter.....simple, durable, manueverable....

This looks like it was designed by some jackass who's never been on a dirt road let alone OFF ROAD.

And I am sad about it.  I was REALLY and SERIOUSLy hoping for some hardcore competetion for the Wrangler and the Rubicon....Toyota really let me down here.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40315

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=39609

Do you really think Toyota would build a vehicle with less quality than a Chrysler product? Do the research, that toyota will be going strong after that Chrysler is in the boneyard!!

j/k but Chrysler aint got shit on Toyota quality. That's why Jeep aftermarket companies are raking it in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw it at the L.A. Auto show.  I was impressed.  Great clearance, perfect hunting vehicle.  I was actually kind of bummed that I bought my Toyota 4x4 and didn't get this (though I would NEVER buy a first year model).

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I saw it at the L.A. Auto show.  I was impressed.  Great clearance, perfect hunting vehicle.  I was actually kind of bummed that I bought my Toyota 4x4 and didn't get this (though I would NEVER buy a first year model).

Eric  

Cool, good to hear first hand reports.  Anything else?  How was the cabin?  Well thought out?  Did you get to sit in it or check out the storage?

G
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's some more info, looks like I was wrong. Lockers are standard with the manual trans. Reading that .pdf, it looks like rock sliders and a bunch of other options are going to be offered as dealer add-ons. The cruiser community started getting peeks of this thing a couple years ago, and I haven't followed it much since then, but I'm really starting to like it.

http://www.rooney.org/tlc/FJC/FJ%20Cruiser.pdf
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I have not heard yet if this is being produced at the local toyota plant in Southern Indiana.
The Southern Indiana plant has been producing the Tundra and Sequia (spelling has to wrong) and the Lexus version . They have a reputaion of producing a very high quality product. Toyota has looked at the American market and is making their products to fit that market. The options packages are very good also. I don't drive a Toyota yet but that could change.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Toyota has looked at the American market and is making their products to fit that market.

This is brand new information!

G
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=10490

Price for the manual 4wd is expected to start at about $23K.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Toyota has looked at the American market and is making their products to fit that market.

This is brand new information!

G

Toyota has tried to copy the American vehicles since they started in this market. Look at the original Celica, it was based on the ford mustang, right down to the "c" in the door panels.
At the Southern Indiana Plant their R&D dept. has the current models of the big three trucks and suv's. They measure, disassemble take notes, run them on test tracks, copy what they think is good and try to improve.
They looked at the market, decided that Americans wanted a full size truck, lo and behold the Tundra was born.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#23]
It has the same 4.0 that is available in the new Taco. 239 hp, 0-60 in 7.6 seconds, available with 6-speed manual, lockers, and there will be a TRD model coming soon on the heels of the February release.

Here     is a link to the Tundra Solutions forum, where a reviewer for Off Road mag  got to take an FJ for a week posted his thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#24]
tag

I will be going to the Chicago Auto Show next month and I hope to get a glimpse at one.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I am currently holding a review in my hands from Illinois Auto and RV

4L V-6
239 HP/278 torque
5 speed AT/6 speed MT-4WD
5 speed AT (2WD)

I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I can get the 4wd version for under $20k.  My brother works for Toyota and can hook me up.

People should really see one and drive on before making a judgment.  The styling and some of the cabin design is funky but its quite nice in person.

I didnt like the upright dash but its supposed to look retro I guess.  Also the seat cushions are removable and the back cabin is weatherproof so you can just hosed it down.

Most of these will be in the driveways of suburban houses. Second owners are the ones that are going to take these into the woods and rocks.

Also the H3 take 11+ seconds to 60.  This will do it around 8.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I can get the 4wd version for under $20k.  My brother works for Toyota and can hook me up.

People should really see one and drive on before making a judgment.  The styling and some of the cabin design is funky but its quite nice in person.

I didnt like the upright dash but its supposed to look retro I guess.  Also the seat cushions are removable and the back cabin is weatherproof so you can just hosed it down.

Most of these will be in the driveways of suburban houses. Second owners are the ones that are going to take these into the woods and rocks.

Also the H3 take 11+ seconds to 60.  This will do it around 8.

So you're buying one?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#29]
They're supposed to deliver in early spring. My '05 Tacoma double cab w/ probably 16,000 miles on it will be for sale at that time!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#30]
looks like an ole fj40 and an h2 hummer got together and had hot monkey sex
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Someone I know is looking in to one now. His dealers said not to expect to only pay sticker price on them. It's a limited production run.

I think it looks way cool, personally. Metallic OD green or Khaki paint and a brush guard and this thing would look like a million bucks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO removable top

NO roll cage

NO CLASS.....

Do you really think Toyota would build a vehicle with less quality than a Chrysler product? Do the research, that toyota will be going strong after that Chrysler is in the boneyard!!

j/k but Chrysler aint got shit on Toyota quality. That's why Jeep aftermarket companies are raking it in.

there is an awful lot of old and new jeeps on the trail everytime i go out.. Don't see a lot of yotas..How bout you.. what do you see when your out on the trail? you do go out on the trail don't you?...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Someone I know is looking in to one now. His dealers said not to expect to only pay sticker price on them. It's a limited production run.

I think it looks way cool, personally. Metallic OD green or Khaki paint and a brush guard and this thing would look like a million bucks.

That's true...they're only making 47,000 the first year, many of which are spoken for.

Like the new Taco, it will probably be 2-3k over MSRP for the first year.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Looks like an overgrown RAV4 to me.  I'll pass.

The rear quarter view does look like the '96 two-door RAV4's.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This is very true.  They will be ABOVE sticker for a while and not readily available.

The beautiful part is that an employee can order one, pay employee price and not wait more then what it would take to build it.

It gets better.  After a year you could sell it for more then what you paid for it!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO removable top

NO roll cage

NO CLASS.....

there is an awful lot of old and new jeeps on the trail everytime i go out.. Don't see a lot of yotas..How bout you.. what do you see when your out on the trail? you do go out on the trail don't you?...

Seen plenty, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Anybody got any real numbers on this thing???
I think my wife wants one
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eric  

Cool, good to hear first hand reports.  Anything else?  How was the cabin?  Well thought out?  Did you get to sit in it or check out the storage?

G

Pictures on the net I've seen show a very limited leg room for the back seat. Probably not suitable for anyone over the age of 13. I thought the rest of the interior kind of looked like a honda element. Didn't appear to have the fold up back seats though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Dude, my 4runner and/or pickup will go anyplace a Jeep will, and won't flip over climbing a hill to get there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#43]
looks pretty 4wd capable to me

btw, I want one BAD. When are they for sale?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

G

Cabin was comfortable, although a bit tight.  I did get to sit in it and it was pretty sweet.  The back seats fold flat, so the entire back becomes open for storage.  It is lined on the inside with a tough plastic.  I haven't downloaded my Auto Show pictures yet, but I will right now.

*edit*  I didn't take any pictures of it.  I do have a shot at the Jeep Pick-Up truck (Gladiator?)...  grrr.  Sorry.

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
They're supposed to deliver in early spring. My '05 Tacoma double cab w/ probably 16,000 miles on it will be for sale at that time!

supposed to...Im betting Fall. Because I saw on a flyer that they were the 2007 model.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd really want the Jeep Gladiator(a.k.a Happy Roman!)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'd really want the Jeep Gladiator(a.k.a Happy Roman!)

yea, that thing rocks too

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#48]

ZAP Cars!!:

The $1.3 Million dollar something or other...

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO removable top

NO roll cage

NO CLASS.....

Great logic.   That has everything to do with the demographic, and nothing to do with the quality or capability of the vehicle.  Most Ferraris I've seen spent most of their time as parked ornaments, while I've seen plenty of Dodge Neons in street races.   Doesn't make the Neon a faster car.

I've been watching the FJs for close to a year now.  Never understood Toyota's fixation with this blue, but I like the truck itself.  My FJ80 was great, wouldn't hesitate to buy another Toyota SUV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top