Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 7:00:20 AM EDT
Deploying to the sandbox on 252 day orders. I'm gonna garage the sports machine whilst I'm gone.
Any ideas on storage?
Full tank of gas?
1/2 to nearly empty?
The old lady and the FIL will probably crank it 1-4 times per month.
Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Full tank of gas.
Air in the tank will oxidize and age the gasoline.
Mark and roll the tires to prevent belt separation.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Had to do this for 6 months or so at a time every couple of years. I don't think it is a big deal with modern tires and such, but here goes for the guys that had to store their baby's perfectly.

Add sta-bil fuel stablilizer to the gas and fill the tank. Run the car enough so that it makes it to the injectors or carb. I also like a bottle of stp.

Put the car on jack stands where the suspension points are on the car. That is, for the fronts put it near or on the lower control arm, and put it under the rear end in the back.

Change the oil at this point. Pull the plugs and mist in oil there. Some guys go nuts here, and nearly fill the engine block with oil. Your choice, just remember to drain it when you get back.

Disconnect the battery, both pos and neg. You can leave it in the car, or not.

Depending on storage areas, some guys toss moth balls in a bag in the car.

A car cover whether inside or outside storage is good as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If they're going to start it up to let it run a few times a month, just fill up the tank and don't bother doing anything else, except maybe a car cover. When they do start it, make sure they let it run at least 10-15 minutes before shutting it down. Maybe you can convince them to drive it around the block, too, so you can keep the tires from developing a flat spot from sitting too long.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't start it and just let it idle that isn't enough to get the moisture out of the exhaust and oil.  I would do like Andrewh said.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Good points.
The FIL will be here every month to babysit while the old lady drills. (Still a reservist). Out of the rain with a full tank of hightest. Will that be sufficient as the car is guranteed to drive to the Pentagon (from MD) 2xper day for a weekend every month?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Not really good enough. IF you said it would get driven weekly, then that would be fine. The battery will die in about 7 days or so, depending on what you have besides the computer and radio drawing power. A cd changer would make it 4 days, etc..

So unless it needs to be driven, I would put it up on blocks like I sugguested. If it has to be driven, then I would buy a trickle charger, or show whoever is going to use it how to disconnect and reconnect the battery. Or buy one of the quick disconnects they use for race cars. Just bolts onto the batter and has a twist knob to complete the circuit. Put it on the negitive side if you do this. Also pull the negitive side first and put it back last if they disconnect the battery. Have them fill up before they park it, and check the oil each time. Make sure they have it changed every 3 months unless you use synthetic. Then every 6 should be fine. Since it is sitting more than driving you must go by time, not usage.

I also agree don't just start it and shut it off again. 10-15 min is also not enough run time. The engine should get up to regular operating temps and run for another 30 min or so to get the moisture out of the system, and get the fuel burned out of the oil.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Navydoc1,

Keep it indoors, if possible, jack it up and let it sit on jack stands, air down tires to 5-10PSI.

Perform a regular maintenance service, oil change/tune-up/trans./etc.

Remove batteries/hook up a trickle charger.

Full tank of gas with some fuel treatment.

Vent windows.

Cover it with an inexpensive car cover inside your garage.

Good Luck and see you soon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
STA-BIL
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a car suggestion, but I would like to add.........

keep yer' head down and stay safe over there.  

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top