Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 5:15:32 PM EDT
I don't know how reliable it is, but I think they look cool in spite of being French.

BTW do you know why French people stink?

So blind people can hate them too!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they're French...

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
not enough demand I bet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had alot of experience using them in Rainbow Six 3.  Trust me, they suck ass.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had the blueprints for one I would have one made.  Any ideas on where to get the prints?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The real question is why did someone in France make one in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Same reason as they made Renaults and Citroens.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always heard that Le Clarion was pretty dependable........more so than the L85 the Brits carry
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
In case you haven't noticed, all the readily available military type semis that are made in the US have cheap foreign parts and parts kits available.

There are no FAMAS parts kits on the market...or even any parts. Thus, no demand for US receivers/barrels, no complete rifles.

It's the same reason we don't have US made Valmets, SIG AMTs, FNCs, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have always heard that Le Clarion was pretty dependable........more so than the L85 the Brits carry

That's why I've heard too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Same reason nobody manufactures a Stg 44 semi-auto.  

In the absence of any "parts kits" you'd have to manufacture the ENTIRE thing from scratch.  That would be insanely expensive - and someone would have to have a pretty large guaranteed market before they would start doing that.

How much would you be willing to pay?  And how many people would be willing to pay it?

(Assuming they could even get all of the blueprints, specs, etc.  And assuming it would even be legal - is there some kind of intellectual property right that the manufacturer might own?)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The Brits have the L85, the French have the FAMAS abd the Germans have the G36- and they all want M4's.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the USA military is not ready for a bullpup-style weapon.  The Frenchies, Brits, & Aussies could've save themselves a bunch of money by just buying the Steyr AUG if they wanted a bullpup-style weapon, but  I think a bit of nationalism got in the way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I would be willing to pay at least $1000 for one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Because they're gay, and so are you.  

Seriously, not only is it a bullpup, but it's ugly and french.

The real answer is "Because almost nobody wants one".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, how many here have actually driven in a Citroen??

I don't love the french, but I feel compelled to point out (just for the record) that in the late 1970s, my family owned a Citroen 2400CX, and it was the most awesome car ever.  Like all french cars, it certainly rusted faster than german cars - but it was way more awesome than any german car at the time (in terms of style, interior, comfort, ameneties, etc), and I'd say it was far more technologically advanced.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Gay? Hey Elcamino, I'm not the one with William Shatner (AKA Capt Kirk) as my avatar!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would be willing to pay at least $1000 for one.

My guess is that you'd have to find a bunch of people willing to pay three to five times that to even get someone interested in trying to make one - and it probably still wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
an aside:  How do you "say" or "pronounce" FAMAS?

"eff, ay, moss"?
"famous"?
"fah moo"?

help a brother out
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Because Bullpup's don't sell in America.
Steyr AUGs didn't sell well here until after the importation ban, now they are big bucks. Even Bushmaster has now given up on their Bullpup, and that was a company icon.

You "really" want a Bullpup? Get a Ruger Mini-14 and a Muzzlelite Bullpup stock, when you get tired of it both parts are resaleable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Same reason nobody in the US makes canned haggis.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Gay? Hey Elcamino, I'm not the one with William Shatner (AKA Capt Kirk) as my avatar!

You take that back about Shatner!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Same reason nobody in the US makes canned haggis.

Or decent blood sausage or herring in curry sauce, dammit!!  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't follow F1 I take it...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#24]

an aside: How do you "say" or "pronounce" FAMAS?

"eff, ay, moss"?
"famous"?
"fah moo"?

help a brother out

Er, 3 strikes and you're out.  I've never heard it pronounced anything other than "fah-moss"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#25]
French products don't do that well in the US, and I would imagine a French produced (can't happen now) or designed and built here (very unlikely) wouldn't sell very well to the gun community. The French did a much better job with their bullpup than the British, but that doesn't mean anything on the US semi auto market. I'd love to have one, and passed up on previously "insane" prices that are now much smaller than the going rate for one of the very few Century examples, but I doubt there are that many that really want one...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"eff, ay, moss"?
"famous"?
"fah moo"?

help a brother out

Er, 3 strikes and you're out.  I've never heard it pronounced anything other than "fah-moss"

Now for extra credit, how does one pronounce GIAT?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gay? Hey Elcamino, I'm not the one with William Shatner (AKA Capt Kirk) as my avatar! hr

You take that back about Shatner!

Whoa big fella...Don't arm the photon torpedoes!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't love the french, but I feel compelled to point out (just for the record) that in the late 1970s, my family owned a Citroen 2400CX, and it was the most awesome car ever.  Like all french cars, it certainly rusted faster than german cars - but it was way more awesome than any german car at the time (in terms of style, interior, comfort, ameneties, etc), and I'd say it was far more technologically advanced.

with that goofy hydraulic suspension system, with individual pumps for each corner! Set-up, not to counter the momentum of the car in a corner, oh no, its set-up keep the car level in the corners (!), regardless of how fast you were going And, if one pump goes "bad' or even out-of-sinc with the other's, then corners became REALLY interesting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"eff, ay, moss"?
"famous"?
"fah moo"?

help a brother out

Now for extra credit, how does one pronounce GIAT? hr

Zhee-aht?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The Brits have the L85, the French have the FAMAS abd the Germans have the G36- and they all want M4's.  

I would take a G36 over an M4.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now you went and done.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

and i too want a FAMAS then agin i want one of every gun ever made since ww2.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"eff, ay, moss"?
"famous"?
"fah moo"?

help a brother out

Now for extra credit, how does one pronounce GIAT?

Zhee-aht?

Sheeeit, dawg.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
French products don't do that well in the US, and I would imagine a French produced (can't happen now) or designed and built here (very unlikely) wouldn't sell very well to the gun community. The French did a much better job with their bullpup than the British, but that doesn't mean anything on the US semi auto market. I'd love to have one, and passed up on previously "insane" prices that are now much smaller than the going rate for one of the very few Century examples, but I doubt there are that many that really want one...

Sounds like we need a poll!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#35]
WHATEVER!! FAMAS would sell like hot cakes, lots of people would love one and their sweet bullpups. The reason why US bullpups dont sell (IN CASE YOU HAVENT NOTICED) they all look like the butt end of a cat thats been run over by a mac truck. And Cits are kewl cars!

I'd buy one, and if im not mistaken I had heard or seen some ad about CAI going to be making them? Anyone else heard a hint of this? Not that I'd ever buy a CAI product but maybe itll get the fire lit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow I think we found a closet frenchman.

Only an uber-ghey frenchman would prefer that melt-o-matic over the tried and true M4.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Because they're gay, and so are you.  

Seriously, not only is it a bullpup, but it's ugly and french.

The real answer is "Because almost nobody wants one".

+1 The US really isn't ready for a gay gun yet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Because of this

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I could never order a FAMAS....I have a hard enough time ordering french fries.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

with that goofy hydraulic suspension system, with individual pumps for each corner! Set-up, not to counter the momentum of the car in a corner, oh no, its set-up keep the car level in the corners (!), regardless of how fast you were going And, if one pump goes "bad' or even out-of-sinc with the other's, then corners became REALLY interesting.

You're talking crazy - the car cornered fine. (In fact, the GTI handled better than most cars, even smaller ones)

The hydropneumatic suspension worked like a regular suspension, just more comfortable.  It didn't "keep the car level" during cornering.  It works the same as mechanical springs, yet was smoother and adjustable - adjustable so you could keep the car at the same height regardless of load,  not to keep it level.

Anyway - it was an absolutely awesome car, and if you keep arguing with me, I'm going to stomp my feet and stick my fingers in my ears and go "LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAA!"  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#41]
LOL!

Someone here has a real FAMAS. He posted pictures a while back (late last year?). He said that it is a fine weapon, very reliable. He likes it despite it's goofy looks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a partial kit.  If anyone has parts let me know.  I need a barrel and a print for the reciever, or a cut reciever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I took a long car trip in a diesel Peugot last year and it was an excellent car.

Availability of cheap part kits is the main reason. I can't remember ever seeing one for sale.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Because:

1) They're ASS UGLY...

and

2) They're FRENCH...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a FAMAS. It was a nice little rifle but had problems:

The Iron Sights were crappy

The barrel was not chromed

Difficult if not impossible to put an optic on it
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Anyway - it was an absolutely awesome car, and if you keep arguing with me, I'm going to stomp my feet and stick my fingers in my ears and go "LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAA!"  

For Pete's sake, don't do that !  The clatter of those wooden shoes on the floor is unbearable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

/\
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#48]
It is simply because they are teh suck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#49]
citroen xsara WRC and
peugeot 307 WRC

good cars
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For Pete's sake, don't do that !  The clatter of those wooden shoes on the floor is unbearable.

It's like Chinese Water Torture, but far worse!  

Plus, if we need the water torture, we just tell that kid to pull his finger out of the dike.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top