Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 1:06:23 PM EDT
I live in Rhode Island on the border with Mass. near a city called Fall River.

The city itself with a population of 100K is pretty ghetto.  It is called "mini portugal" because the majority is portuguese.  The great majority are not 'wealthy' but more like middle/lower class.

Anyways,  on my street all I see all day long is nice cars with loud audio systems.

So how come there are so many gangbangers with systems driving 2005+ model cars.

Drug dealers?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]

My dad would be ashamed.  He grew up in Providence and Newport.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread needs the Captain Obvious pic.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
They could be legitmate people but the music they play and the way their cars are pimped out,  makes me think they arent college grads making alot of money.  They travel in packs like gangs--  2, 3, or 4 cars at a time.  Not exactly alot of high paying jobs around here other then .gov and the high technology field.  

There used to be alot of gangs growing up around here.  The whole city is broken down into "gang districts".

I think they are called "portuguese pride".  They pride themselves on their cars and they drive around in packs.  I forget the name of the gang that is closer to where I live,   they call themselves something stupid like B3 or something.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Drugs are a big problem in Fall River, couple that to the Wellfare Mamma's that have to spend our money on something...........
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep that war on drugs sure is working.

Better throw some more money at the problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It's sad when small cities are overrun with drugs/gangs/crime.

Chicago has its good and bad, but there are small cities south of here that are completely overrun.  

My dad works sometimes in a town called Markham.  That place is overrun with drugs, gangs, thugs, and crime.  It's a shithole, and it's next to another huge shithole, the town of Harvey.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
It's sad when you discriminate and stereortype individuals you see doing their personal business.  What if one of the "portuguese" is a doctor who just happened to grow up in that culture and now proudly displays his heritage?  Yet, you see the nice cars, the different skin tone and you immediately think they are all drug dealers?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Chicago has its good and bad, but there are small cities south of here that are completely overrun.  

My dad works sometimes in a town called Markham.  That place is overrun with drugs, gangs, thugs, and crime.  It's a shithole, and it's next to another huge shithole, the town of Harvey.  

+10
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Some people prioritize other things in their life........some people use the majority of their income for their home, retirement, kids, etc. Others will use the majority of their income to get their "grill" done, speakers, 24" rims, etc......
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's sad when you discriminate and stereortype individuals you see doing their personal business.  What if one of the "portuguese" is a doctor who just happened to grow up in that culture and now proudly displays his heritage?  Yet, you see the nice cars, the different skin tone and you immediately think they are all drug dealers?

So "heritage" and "culture" is having a car with a trunk full of speakers and spinning or tiny gold rims/tires with an overall value equal to that of your house, traveling in packs, and wearing Ecko? Drug dealing comments aside, I fail to see how any of this is "heritage." I drive an older truck with little value, wear Carhartt, and travel alone. Am I a redneck? Possibly. However I don't claim it as "heritage" and get my undies in a bunch when someone stereotypes me. Many "rednecks" also do these things. Many drug dealers have cars that they couldn't afford with an honest job and usually do the same types of things to them, expensive stereos/rims. Are all people with pickups and huge mud tires rednecks? No. Are all people from poor urban areas with brand new cars drug dealers? No. But it's a sure be that many are, on both sides.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thier is a relitively simple way to clean up crime associated with drugs, legalize them.  Alcohol does more harm then all illegal drugs combined.  Marajuana legalization as I understand it is not supported by police unions due to the lack of a concrete field sobriety test/tester like the breathalyzer is to alcohol.  Bloodtests do not prove impairment at that instant, that is the hitch.

Cocaine brought in legally will not be cut and weighted with chemicals more harmful to the user than the Cocaine.  Also the Coca plant has been used by the native peoples of Colombia for centuries as a chew or anasthetic, coincidently when used in this manner it is not addictive.

Heroine, I cant really speak to a derivative use for it but assume thier is something.  It is an opiate those are used in medicine often.

What recourse do those in the supply of illegal drugs have except crime?  Not defending their actions but they cannot exactly call the cops when things go south.

Also realise this
Where there is demand there will always be supply.  Compound this with revenue wasted in an utterly failing war on drugs

Furthermore most of you are conservatives who do not want a nanny state or oppressor so why oppose legalization in some capacity.  Just legalize it and stiffen the penalties for putting others at risk.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
the thing is - all those people driving the expensive cars are probrobly on welfare.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
When you're 25 and live with your parents it's easy to afford a nice car.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ummm ya.

Pretty much anywhere you go in the states it's not long until someone comes along that YOU KNOW didn't earn that money through legit means.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
You can either spend your money on food, housing, insurance, and other higher priority items, or you can have a phat ride, and live in Fall River.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What about all that money in siezed and frozen assets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about all that money in siezed and frozen assets.

Dare cars and under the table...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This thread needs the Captain Obvious pic.  

ask, and you shall recieve

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Your are correct sir,  I live about 5 min away from Harvey (too close!), a real friggin shithole. Since they ripped-down most of the CHA housing in the city, Section 8 housing has helped spread all that beutiful inner-city culture into the suburbs.H
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I live in Rhode Island on the border with Mass. near a city called Fall River.

Fall River Mass, the Armpit of America.  I spent 6 weeks as a med student in a walk-in clinic.  It was cash only.  Well, they took credit cards too, but they didn't accept any insurance, public or private.  I saw a lot of interesting people in those six weeks.  I did visit the USS Massachusetts which was very cool.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#22]
OK if it isnt drugs it is corruption in the monetary system.

Do the majority of them get their money straight from Portugal?

Portugal prints money,  converts it to the US dollars through the international money exchange,  Funnels the money to the poeple living in the United States.

I know most of them.  They are all devoutly Portuguese,  with more pride for Portugal then the United States.  And I definatly cant see them affording the cars they drive.  Im not hip to the welfare system,  but I doubt they get much money from it.

Your right,  maybe they all live at home with their parents and put all of their money into their cars while working a 15-30k a year job.

I think its organized crime personally.  Or Portugal funneling money into the US.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your are correct sir,  I live about 5 min away from Harvey (too close!), a real friggin shithole. Since they ripped-down most of the CHA housing in the city, Section 8 housing has helped spread all that beutiful inner-city culture into the suburbs. SOUTH SIDE!

I was fortunate to grow up in two of the nicer south side neighborhoods(Mount Greenwood and Beverly.)  

What pisses me off is the articles about the people that move from the Robert Taylor Homes or whatever and they get to move into other neighborhoods and they still complain that their new 'hoods are overrun.

Get a job and move.  

Also, my dad gets the oppritunity to work in the South SIde in the neighborhood of 130 and Doty near the Ford and Sherwin-Williams plants and across from the Altgeld Gardens(unaffectionately known as Alligator Gardens) housing projects.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe they all just make money,  despite their appearance as being thugged out gangbangers.

They are really college educated scientists maybe.

That is my last guess.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your are correct sir,  I live about 5 min away from Harvey (too close!), a real friggin shithole. Since they ripped-down most of the CHA housing in the city, Section 8 housing has helped spread all that beutiful inner-city culture into the suburbs.H

I was fortunate to grow up in two of the nicer south side neighborhoods(Mount Greenwood and Beverly.)  

What pisses me off is the articles about the people that move from the Robert Taylor Homes or whatever and they get to move into other neighborhoods and they still complain that their new 'hoods are overrun.

Get a job and move.  

Also, my dad gets the oppritunity to work in the South SIde in the neighborhood of 130 and Doty near the Ford and Sherwin-Williams plants and across from the Altgeld Gardens(unaffectionately known as Alligator Gardenshousing

You need to really watch your back over there.
I know the area well, can't wait to move, but until then
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If it swims like a Duck, quacks like a Duck.................
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Sometimes I wonder if the legal drug trade or the illegal drug trade has more money running through it. They are both a bane on this country.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I havent seen to many people blame a lack of education about spending.  Not everyone is a dealer.  Many just F' up their credit and dont know the long term results.  Middle class Americans too.  Havent you ever heard of stores or companys that "rent" tires.  If you are willing to pay out the ass long term, you can have anything short term.  There probably isnt much action going into a 401 k either....
That is the one thing I alway teach my Marines.  If you cant afford to pay it off with 1/4 of your check each month then you dont need it.  But you do need to Pay cell phone bill, buy food, buy clothing, pay insurance, pay for education, ect.  
Some people just dont get it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Way back in 1976, the New York Times ran a front page article claiming that illegal drugs were the second largest drain on the US dollar, second only to oil.  Do you seriously think total consumption has dropped since then?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Huge?? You are looking at one local area and thinking HUGE?

Just FYI, according to the UN estimates, it amounts to about eight percent of total world trade.  According to latest US Government estimates, they seize about one percent of the total drugs on the market.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yeah, that's probably it. A bunch of successful doctors are spending a lot of their time cruising around together and blasting their stereos. That happens a lot. They don't have anything better to do with their time.
I live in the Chicago area. I see a lot of successful doctor types quite often. They disguise themselves as gangbangers, drive conspicuous cars and cruise around during hours when other people are at work. I'm not sure why they tend to drive around in depressed areas instead of their own upper class neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I have family in Fall River (Head of the household is a Baptist minister there) and even I never thought of the place as very ghetto... and I hate cities!

Perhaps I've just never been to the bad parts.

As for the drug thing... they are in every small town as well as every big city.  Every nice car you see is not necessarily driven by a drug dealer.  The root, I believe, is the fact that priorities have changed in the last decade.  It is no longer about having "a car" as much as it is about having a NICE car.

20-somethings are buying expensive cars (financed over years and years) at the expense of other luxuries.  I'm not saying they have nothing to do with the drug culture, but it isn't directly related.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Fall River does have Vanson Leathers, if you like motorcycles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top