Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:38:51 PM EDT
I was doing some emergency repairs at a residence in a trailer park.  Didn't start work till dark.

About 2300 hrs a squad car shows up, I am on a ladder with a hammer, a pair of dykes, and a razor knife.

SD asks to talk to me, wants to know what I am doing.

I explain the owner hired me to make repairs that had to be done like now.

He asked if I could finish up in the next 10 minutes.

I told him "nope" 45 min to an hour. "I don't want to be here, and I am trying to be quiet, not running the generator in order to be as quiet as possible.  But if you tell me to stop now or you will arrest me, I will stop, otherwise I have to finish"

He said just finish when you can, and thanks for being considerate of the neighbors.

No dogs were shot, didn't ask to see any ID from me, and he SURE didn't offer to help on the ladder.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the local "Dunkin Donut" closing soon?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Was the local "Dunkin Donut" closing soon?

His supply of donuts was depleted and he was on his way to go through the drive through when he got the call.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Installing a new set of radials on the roof?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I just dont understand why he did not shoot your generator !!??
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You had a pair of dykes on the ladder? Maybe he wanted to watch, ya meenie.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just dont understand why he did not shoot your generator !!??

It was hiding in fear under a tarp.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly  is  the  purpose  for  tires  on the  roof?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have always wondered that myself.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's to trap the stagnant water for the mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't putting tires on the roof (this time).

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate those "distrubing the peace-construction noise" calls. My patrol area has a muni-code prohibiting construction/home improvement/repairs after 10PM and on sundays.  All the rich asshole know and start calling at 10:01PM.

One of my partners is being sued becuase he told a homeowner to stop working on his roof at 2AM after a noise complaint.  A storm rolled in about 4:30AM and there was some water damge.  I think the homeowner is suing for $175,000.00
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was doing some emergency repairs at a residence in a trailer park.  Didn't start work till dark.

About 2300 hrs a squad car shows up, I am on a ladder with a hammer, a pair of dykes, and a razor knife.

SD asks to talk to me, wants to know what I am doing.

I explain the owner hired me to make repairs that had to be done like now.

He asked if I could finish up in the next 10 minutes.

I told him "nope" 45 min to an hour. "I don't want to be here, and I am trying to be quiet, not running the generator in order to be as quiet as possible.  But if you tell me to stop now or you will arrest me, I will stop, otherwise I have to finish"

He said just finish when you can, and thanks for being considerate of the neighbors.

No dogs were shot, didn't ask to see any ID from me, and he SURE didn't offer to help on the ladder.

Must be a freudian slip.  I usually use dikes (Diagonal cutters).  Lesbians don't do me any good...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Sounds like Officer Friendly did his job . He investigated the complaint and used
good judgement .

The tires on top of a mobile home are to keep the thin metal roof from " popping "
when the wind blows hard .
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they look tacky laying in the yard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One of my partners is being sued becuase he told a homeowner to stop working on his roof at 2AM after a noise complaint.  A storm rolled in about 4:30AM and there was some water damge.  I think the homeowner is suing for $175,000.00

Any provision in the law about emergency repairs? If there wasn't, the homeowner would not want me on the jury.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any provision in the law about emergency repairs? If there wasn't, the homeowner would not want me on the jury.

I dont know.  It's not like it was a hurracaine or anything. Just a normal rain shower that apparently caught the homeowner unprepared. It only rains ike 20 days a year here so the the homeowner apparently didnt make any plans for weather during his remodeling project.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I hate those "distrubing the peace-construction noise" calls. My patrol area has a muni-code prohibiting construction/home improvement/repairs after 10PM and on sundays.  All the rich asshole know and start calling at 10:01PM.

I figured the LEO didn't really want to be there either.  I wasn't sure what county I was in, or if I was within any city limits.  I guessed there was probably a noise ordinance.

Had I been "ordered" to cease at once, I would have complied.  Then contacted the property owner before I left to tell them I wasn't going to be able to finish.

There happened to be a storm forcast for the next day, and the repairs were to prevent storm  damage.

All in all, another routine citizen/LEO encounter where everyone went home happy, except the grumpy insomniac.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know.  It's not like it was a hurracaine or anything. Just a normal rain shower that apparently caught the homeowner unprepared. It only rains ike 20 days a year here so the the homeowner apparently didnt make any plans for weather during his remodeling project.

I tihnk my response would have been, "Tarps motherfucker, have you heard of them?" But that's just me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top