Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:54:59 AM EDT
My father came over today and gave my 6 year old son all of his Boy Scout badges, neckerchiefs, patches, hand carved items, hand braids, Scout Handbooks and his EAGLE SCOUT Badge with one bronze palm. All this was stored in his LL Bean woven pack basket.

I got the entire episode on video. My father explained what each of his badges were, how he got them and what scouting was like "back then."

My dad also showed my son the "mouth bit" that he had to keep in his mouth the entire day that he was going to become a member of the "order of the arrow" or his eagle scout medal.

The mouth bit was to remind him not to talk the entire day and focus on what the honor meant. If he did speak, then he had to cut a notch in it. It had three notches.

My son was in awe.

There were also a ton of patches that my father traded among other scout troops from Kentucky, Michigan, etc.

My son wants to join scouting now and get "all of the badges."

I hope that he sticks with it. I told him that as long as he was in scouting, I would be a scout leader for him.

What really amazed me, was all of the "old school" woodcraft scout books. Man..........if you did not have it at the camp, you made it.

Might seem silly to some of you, but to get all that on film is something that really got to me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Not silly at all, sounds to me like you're raising this boy the way a boy should be raised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top