Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 6:05:09 PM EDT
G'day everyone,
I'm applying for entry-level, graduate jobs in both New York and Washington, and being from "out of town" I was wondering what constituted a reasonable salary. Is $30-$40k enough to live on? In Australia it is, but what about over there?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Are we talking New York City and Washington DC? If so, you could get by on $30-40K, but it probably won't be a very comfortably living as you could have in other cities. If you mean Washington State and/or NY State, please specify the city
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You would be miserable living on 30-40k in NY.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, "City" in both cases. That seems to be where the jobs in my field (International relations) are.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
In DC move to the Virginia suburbs
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In DC move to the Virginia suburbs

Or Maryland suburbs just outside the Beltway - a little bit of a drive, but definitely cheaper.

I'd say that $30-$40 is OKAY for an entry-level job for a college graduate, but you're not going to be living in luxury in expensive cities like NY or D.C.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone. That salary calculator is especially good Rangie.
Is there anything else that I should know about moving to the U.S.? Is there anywhere outside of NYC thats cheaper and still close enough?

Most important question: Can foreigners buy GUNS?!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm not a U.S. citizen, and here are some of my toys (a small part of my collection)

Actually it's somewhat more complicated than that, and it depends heavily on local state laws too - and New York and the District of Columbia are very anti-gun.  However, Virginia and Maryland are okay.  

If you get here on a work visa, I believe you can buy guns - and if you get a green card then the sky's the limit.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Muzzleloaders, air guns, antiques are all good to own by ANYONE under Federal law.

No BS required to buy a cap and ball revolver (say unlike Australia)

Also no BS on crossbows save NY City, New Jersey and North Carolina.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone. That salary calculator is especially good Rangie.
Is there anything else that I should know about moving to the U.S.? Is there anywhere outside of NYC thats cheaper and still close enough?

Commuting isn't going to be fun in any major city on the east coast.

Unless you're someone important you won't get a handgun living in DC. NY and Ct have some restirections on sport utility rifles (Just Cosmetic stuff mainly) but you can still have them.

Where are you going to be working?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know yet, but I am applying for positions at the major conservative think-tanks, most of which are in D.C., but one or two are in NYC. I don't know how not being American will turn out. Americans that I know over here reckon that an Aussie accent plays well, but I really don't know.

Good to hear about the gunz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top