Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 11:40:56 AM EDT
Ok gang,  What do you do if you lose your sight (all vission) in your "shooting eye".

You are right eye dominant and lost all sight in that eye, What would you do?
Corrections are NOT an option.  No surgery, glasses etc.  We are talking blind in the right eye.

Options?

I see a poll in the future
1. Sell all guns to fund seeing eyedog?
2. Buy south paw uppers and retrain yourself?
3. Join the [insert favorite rag tag militia here] military because they can’t shoot for shit anyway?
4. Wear the patch, buy a parrot, sail the high seas drinking rum and search for lost gold?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Tighten it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If it gets loose, you need to secure it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

LocTite???
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LocTite???

silver solder or weld
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the humor I really needed that!!!

Ok I fixed my typo and need REAL help now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the humor I really needed that!!!

Ok I fixed my typo and need REAL help now.

I bet the majority of ARFCOM, myself included, say PIRATE!

Seriously....I GUESS retrain yourself, I'm sure your only eye will become dominate.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]
The premise of a "dominant eye" assumes that a weaker eye co-exists with it.  Once the "dominant eye" ceases to function as an eye... the other eye would naturally become the "dominant" and only eye.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if this will work for anyone, but I have a righty friend who is left eye dominant, and he has a bizzare chin weld and aligns his left eye with the irons.  He can't really use a scope, but I'd bet an EOtech or Aimpoint would do the trick for other optics.  He looks ridiculous, but he hits what he is aiming for.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a right handed, right eye dominant shooter.  In an effort to become an ambidextrous shooter from Sep 04 through Sep 05 I shot only left handed.  My left eye came right along with out a problem.  

The hardest part of learning to shoot smoothly left handed is training the RIGHT hand to do a mag change!  

Outside of that I vote "wear a patch".
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Im already a pirate, ask my wife where I bury me treasure...

HAAAARRRRR!!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazing!  How many sessions did you shoot over that one year period?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I am left eye dominant, shoot right handed.  I can't use irons worth a crap, but I can hit ok with a scope.  I wish I knew a cure for this.  If I lost my dominant eye, I could shoot fine!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Due to "lazy eye" not being treated when I was a kid, I am left handed, but my right eye is the good one.  I learned to shoot right handed.  It's the only thing I do right handed.

Nope, not even that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
This is not a hypothetical question to me. I have basically had very little vision in my dominant eye since dec 27th. I was tracking a deer after dark, got it and was coming back home with it when I was raked in the eye with a branch. The world exploded into a blur and after 3 weeks I still have dbl vision. Been to the eye doc 7 times so far, had a contact bandage on for almost 2 weeks and it just came off today. I still see 8 tail lights further away, then 5 then 3,2, then one as I come up right behind the vehicle. [NO I am not driving!!!!] Supposedly, it should go away but it has not yet.

That was my good/dominant eye, my other one is shit and has been since birth, bad enought that I could never wear glasses because they caused dbl vision. [this was finally explained to me this week, but every damn eye doctor in the past should have known this] If I had not swiped my wifes old glasses I would have been unable to see jack, as it was I could not work, as I could not drive.

The submissive eye thing takes a bit to get used to, it's not that it can't see, it's that the brain is used to processing info from the other eye and it has to relearn what it is doing. Sound easy but in reality it is not. It sucks in fact.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!!! Stupid thing is, I HAD some but it was drizzly, and a bit foggy, plus I was sweating as I was wearing a bit to much clothing. Plus the flashlight {pelican} light kept refracting off them so it was a bit hard to track, SOOOOOOO I took them off and after I popped the deer, I did not bother to put them back on. That was a BAD mistake, and I have paid for it for 3 weeks. You do not want to lose your vision in your dominant eye, trust me on this...........it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Good info.  Keep it coming.

By the way that is NOT me i the picture - I stole it from a google search.    ARRGGHHH
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#16]
This question is a reality for me. On 03 May 05 I was struck in my right eye with a bungee cord hook.  The trauma to my eye caused the forward chamber of my eye to fill with blood and was feared I also sustained retina damage.  My retina has done fine in the healing department, but I have developed a trauma related cataract.  The eye doctor tells me that I may not be a good candidate for lens replacement due to the chance of some "unseen" damage to the eye that won't become evident until the eye is opened.  At this point I have two choices, go blind by the advancing cataract, or gamble on the surgery.

I have not been to the range since the accident, but I feel (at the moment) I would be able to shoot pistol OK.  I've tried shooting my pellet rifle, but can't focus on the sights and target to hit anything.  I plan to make the range soon to try to shoot left handed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm ambidextrous; neither hand or eye is dominant. Though I usually write with my right hand out of habit; need my signature to always be the same and all.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm right handed/left dominant eye. Never has been a problem with long guns. About a year ago I decided to practice weak side with pistol. Whoa!- shot much better. I've started transfering the handgun to my left hand after drawing- not really a problem. Cheaper than converting all those Milt Sparks holsters.

When I tried to go back to the ex strong side I couldn't hit crap.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I have trained with a patch over my dominate eye, it will screw you up 4-5 inches at hand gun ranges. I have found that if I remember the training I correct weak side weak eye offset. My brother who is right handed left eye dominate can use buis or scope with either eye, his only bitch is hot brass.
For me PIRATE ARRRGH
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
At work I spilled gasoline into my dominant eye.  Instantly, I thought of nothing else but shooting, and if I would be able to continue to shoot without sight in that eye.

Luckily, the immense pain was all that happened.  I flushed with eye rinse station for 15 minutes and saw the ER doctors.  No permanent damage.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#22]
ARRRRRRRRRR!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Any chance anyone here has learned to shoot using left eye and stock up to the left shoulder but using right hand on trigger and left hand supporting / vert fore grip?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top