Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 6:39:58 PM EDT
I am looking for a good way to secure my handguns at my apartment.  Since it is an apartment of course a full size safe will not work.  However, would there be anything I could attach a hard sided locked pistol case to that would prevent it from being carried away and will not cause damage to the apartment?

For those that live in an apartment, how have you locked up your firearms?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course a full size safe will work.

Just check with the apartment management to make sure of any weight limits for the floors.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a small pistol safe that I bought at Galyan's for about $70.  It can be secured to the floor or a wall.  In an apartment, you can probably screw it to the floor in your closet w/o anybody noticing damage to the carpet.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in an apartment and bought Sentry's 10-gun safe (not cabinet). It's pretty skinny and I was able to get it up a flight of stairs and into my apartment with a friend's help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Brinks 14 gun safe in my apartment
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
A full size safe will not really work because I don't intend on living in the apartment for an extended period of time, just for the last semester of law school.  After that, I am going to move from Virginia to North Carolina and don't really want to move the safe.

ETA: I would prefer something that is easy to move both in and out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a Brinks 14 gun safe in my apartment

I have a Brinks 14 gun safe Armored Truck in my apartment
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't rent a shitty apartment?

Secure in my apartment?  On my hip

Seriously check the crime in the area.

Buy some of those self install alarm systems.  I think hiding a small handgun safe and/or bolting it to a floor and locking it should be 99% of it.

Besides in the end your insurance should cover it if stolen.  You do have renters insurance right?

I have attic access in my apartment b/c I'm on the top floor.  Makes for more options if I evern needed hiding spaces.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in an apartment, and I have a big ass huge safe.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I created a dessicated concealed space under my bathroom sink.  Depending on the layout you could consider the same.  I seriously doubt that anyone who looked down there would give it a second thought.  So 'damage' isn't really an issue, it's more of an 'improvement'.

It was one of those deals where under the sink you have a little cabinet area with two swinging doors and a cross bar running vertically up (like what's pictured below).  Well, generally there will be a cavity under the cabinet where there is about 5" of space under some crappy particle board.  All you do is tear out [gently remove] the vertical member, tear out the existing particle board, replace with new plywood and replace the vertical member.  You can get creative and use one of those frame hanging kits (like pictured below) to rig the wood so that it can be angled up and hung for access to your guns.  Lock your handguns into a few of those little Sentry safes if that makes you feel better.

Sure it was ghetto, but i did that during a time I didn't have a lot of cash and didn't want to drop cash on a larger safe.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Something you can lag bolt to the studs in a closet.  And then putty up the holes when you leave.

It not being your property leads to some issues, you just might have to kiss some of your security deposit good-bye.  A full duty, full size safe when filled may easily overload the structure and if you do that, your security deposit may be the least of your worries if you willfully damage the structure.

I've seen big eyebolts into studs in the corner of a closet with a big bike U-lock through trigger guards.  The guns prevent the eyebolt from being turned out, and it can be damn hard to pull the eyebolt out.

If you are willing to putty and paint on leaving. and you have the right configuration, Get bar stock at your local hardware store, drill AND tap holes in the bar stock to line up with mounting holes on safe or gun vault.  Drill through holes in the wall preferable straddling a stud.  Bolt the safe through the walls to the bar stock, with the heads of the bolts in the safe.  That aint gonna go anywhere easy until you get the safe open, and if they can get the safe open, they aren't going to take an empty safe.

And when I was in an apartment, most of my guns were back home (unlocked) and those in the apartment were in ready service locations, not locked up.  Danby was at sea and Ma Danby knew where to find and how to use the 1911.  (The bastards stole my International Scout, but it wasn't in the apartment.)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I know what you mean about moving a safe from an apartment. I live in a lower level and have an 800 pound fire safe in my living room. I like the security, knowing the guns are not unsecured and accessible - I can leave for a weekend or more and not worry about them. But when, if ever, I move, it'll cost me over a hundred bucks to get this beast carried out and taken to where I live next.

GL
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
All but the most hardcore pro thieves will take whatever is easy and run.  Get yourself a small gun safe and bolt it from inside with nice long screws to wall studs or with lag bolts all the way through like the other poster suggested, and through a length of bar stock on the other side of the wall, with the nuts on the inside of the safe.  Whatever you do, remember something is still better than nothing.  A small firesafe can be had very reasonably, and bolted to the underside of a bedframe with lag bolts too (if you have a steel bed frame).  All you have to do is mark the holes on your bedframe, drill the holes, and bolt it on.  You might have to add some steel to the frame though.  They are fairly difficult to get into, and they won't take the safe without grinding off all the bolt heads or taking the whole bedframe.  Makes good storage for jewelry and other stuff too.   That's one of my upcoming projects.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top