Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 2:04:25 PM EDT
I'm looking for more good books along the lines of Unintended Consequences and Enemies Foreign and Domestic.

I read both of those and enjoyed them.  

What should I try next?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The author of Enemies Foreign and Domestic is writing another book, maybe he's done with it.  It's about ethnic Mexicans and communists who subvert New Mexico through a Hugo Chavez like usurption, and the United States has become a pseudo police state.  He has samples up on his website, forget the author's name though.

Matthew Bracken, here's the site

matthewbracken.web.aplus.net/bookde.htm
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Fiction only?

If yer looking for treason, just read the newspapers.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Wolf and Iron by Gorden R. Dickson.
It made my list of favorite books and I am very picky about what I read.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Fiction only?

If yer looking for treason, just read the newspapers.

I know.  

Unfortunately, truth is too often more horrible/stranger than fiction.

ETA thanks for the suggestions.  If anybody can come up with any more, let me know.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The Savage Wars of Peace: Small Wars and the Rise of American Power by Max Boot.

Great discussion of America's past nation building efforts, and a great job constrasting America's successful campaign against insurgents in the Philippines vs the more unsuccessful efforts in Vietnam.  The book is basically a rejection of the Powell doctrine of everwhelming force.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
FDR's Folly by Jim Powell.

You will find out how we entered the shit hole we are in now and who the sociocommiedems behind it were.

FDR was a much bigger threat to America than Germany and Japan put together.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
How bout Catch-22??....It includes various plot lines about enemies foreign and domestic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I know you didn't say sci fi, but the best book I read last year was "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi. Excellent read, I can't recommend it enough.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Teeth of the Tiger. I just finished it. Coupla minor groaners but all in all a good read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top