Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 10:15:43 AM EDT
Our dog was diagnosed with a heart murmur yesterday.

Among other medications, the vet reccomended a low sodium diet, Hill's "HD" Prescription Diet.

I bought some, but it was pricey.

The more I think about it, though, the more idiotic it seems that a low sodium dog food would be available by prescription only.  It's not like a medication that someone would take.

So it's obviously a scam to let the vets control distribution.

Which is where YOU all come in.

How can I get this stuff cheap?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for a little help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Why does it have to be Hills? I would think that it would be a complete diet , not only the dry food .For what it's worth  e mail  these breeders,they can give you  complete feeding instructions and the reasons why your feeding your dog these  things . They breed Shepherds but this will work with any dog. I think you have to ask for their instructions now but you can probably do that with an e mail.I don't work for them ,only know that the diet works. The food isn't cheap but the money you save not going to the vet will pay for itself.Try www.heidelberg-usa.com
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#4]
My dog has bad kidneys and is on Hill's KD.  I have looked and have not found it anywhere but my vet.  Paying $2.00/pound sucks but I'm one of those dog loving weirdos.  Hope someone can help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The reason you cannot find it is because its a low volume product, and all the food made goes to vets.  Who else is going to pay that much for food?

Your best bet is a local feed store that might carry unusual local brands, some are all nature and what not.

I would compare other foods with the Prescription Diet stuff.  See if there is a real difference.  Remember, just because it is recommended does not mean you need it.  Hell, who doesn't need less sodium in their diet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
How old is your dog? How serious was the murmur. I do believe that they use a number system for seriousness.

If you have only taken it to one vet for a checkup, try taking it to another vet.

If the dog is a puppy (under 6months) wait till after 6months or close to a year. I have heard of a lot of puppies being diagnosed with a slight murmur and then after a while they grow out of it.

Personally, I only feed my dogs a raw diet from Bravo Raw Diet. My dogs only see the vet when they need a rabies shot which is required by the state and the day after I get them from the breeder (as per the warranty). And, two out my three dogs were diagnosed with a heart murmur when they were puppies, after a few months they were murmur free. I also had them checked by a few different doctors to be sure.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would compare other foods with the Prescription Diet stuff.  See if there is a real difference.  Remember, just because it is recommended does not mean you need it.  Hell, who doesn't need less sodium in their diet?

There IS a difference.  The Vets don't make diddly off of RX food, so their only motivation for recommending it is concern for your animal.  

I've heard it all....

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
our cat is on the stuff after having a bad urinal issue.  Ever seen a cat cry?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top