Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 9:24:05 PM EDT
... Dang, where did these 12'+ waves come from? The proprieters are shoring up their shops with sandbags. This ain't normal for you fellas - WTF is going on here?

... We love it nonetheless!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
"Dude, that's my skull!"
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I went down to the beach a week ago today (Playa Del Rey is about 3 miles from us).  The waves were absolutely incredible.  I've lived here about 11 years and had never seen anything like it.  The sand barriers they put up did help, but if another storm surge with high-tide comes along, they are going to have some problems.

With all that dug up sand and strong waves, I was kind of wishing I had my metal detector still!!

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Where are you in SoCal?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/Smileys_A-Z/Smileys_V-W-X-Y-Z/wave.gif

Where are you in SoCal?

... Mission Bay/Beach
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
3 miles east of Playa Del Rey.  

Eric  

ooops, thought you were talking to me...  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Eric  

... She prolly was
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you in SoCal?

... Mission Bay/Beach

San Diego is beautiful!

Have you been to the Zoo, Sea World, Wild Animal Park and old town yet?

I was at the SD Zoo earlier this week.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Eric  

Thats ok.

Playa Del Ray is another beautiful area.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eric  

... She prolly was

Welcome to Cali.

If you're up in the OC area, let me know!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
This is how rumors get started.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is how rumors get started.

Quoted:

Nevermind then.

I was just trying to be nice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Just kidding...just kidding...

Quoted:

Nevermind then.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... Dang, where did these 12'+ waves come from? The proprieters are shoring up their shops with sandbags. This ain't normal for you fellas - WTF is going on here?

... We love it nonetheless!

Winter always has large swells, atleast once a year during the winter some big shit moves through.

Though it's less common for the swells to come in at an angle that southern facing coves like Santa Barbara or points below Point Mugu get large surf.

Parents live in Ventura area, born/raised and are retiring there.    The yearly report from my dad who still surfs seems to mention 8-10 foot waves lasting around a week atleast 2 times a year during winter.

Personally, this Bakersfield native hates the fucking ocean.    Never got big into surfing or any of that crap, probably cause I spent most of my years as a young kid/teenager as a competitive swimmer freezing my balls off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you in SoCal?

... Mission Bay/Beach

San Diego is beautiful!

Have you been to the Zoo, Sea World, Wild Animal Park and old town yet?

I was at the SD Zoo earlier this week.

... Yes! The past two days in-fact were dedicated to the quintessential “tourist traps”. Even found a very quaint and lovely Italian restaurant in the Gaslamp district last night.

… I come here to work all the time but have yet to fly a g/f here for a weekend for fun-and-frolic. I’m so damn glad I did – we had an absolute BLAST!

… This place is great! My only regret – we miss each other already.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]
... A pic from yesterday morn (my love) -

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
There usually are a few hole in the wall Italian places in San Diego that make you think you are in Brooklyn.

There is a big storm someplace that is really bringing in the big swells.  We had up to 20" a few weeks ago.

One of the nicest places we used to go out to in SD when we lived there was up in Hillcrest, but it closed about 10 years ago.  Grandparents in the kitchen, Mom and Dad managed and Maitre D'd and the kits were wait staff.

One night while we were there a BG tried to pull a sawed off 22 rifle out of his trenchcoat sleeve when confronted by an SDPD Sgt at the gas station next door.  He probably should have sawed a few more inches off, he didn't get it out of his sleeve.

Where did you go? we really would like to find a really nice little Italian place again.  Our favorite hole in the wall up here closed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I was just there.  The waves were huge compared what I am used to seeing.  Lots and lots of surfers out there too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
It's all Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Where did you go? we really would like to find a really nice little Italian place again.  Our favorite hole in the wall up here closed.

... Saturday night we ended up in a fantasic little spot in the Gaslamp district called Asti Ristorante. We both agreed it was damn near the best dinner ever! I just love listening to my sweetie order everything in Italian.

... In fact, it was probably the best weekends we've ever had together. She's gone home now and it's back to the grind for me.

... If it stays this warm today, I may just take the WiFi laptop down to a beachside bar and conduct business with a Corona in reach and the surf within sight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Winston_Wolf: Your lady friend is very pretty.

The huge waves are due to the a storm in the Pacific and is not uncommon around So. Calif beach areas  I was in Marina Del Rey a few years back, they have a breakwater in the middle of the harbour and you can see the huge wave splashing on it.  Awesome sight.  BTW: some stupid people actually stand so close to the breakwater that a rouge wave has actually washed them into the ocean and some people have drown.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

...  some stupid people actually stand so close to the breakwater that a rouge has actually washed them into the ocean and some people have drown.

... True, I was working at a little pub on the beach today. A nice blonde, beachbum gal that was tending the bar told me that 5 people died as a result of the unusually high surf this past week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you in SoCal?

... Mission Bay/Beach

well that explains the conflicting facts. 12 foot is pretty big for SD, if you really want to test your swimming skills head up to the Wedge in Newport. If there is an offshore swell, the Wedge used to hit about 30' when I would catch it

ETA: If you want to catch some nice breaking waves, check out Camp Pendleton, the waves are kinda small there, but break perfect.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#23]
12' would kick a** at Mission Beach. What's the break like? Usually storm swell are choppy and blown out. There's a storm in Hawaii or Alaska to get it that big.
In high school I surfed South Mission and would body surf Mission or Bird Rock. This was back when the parking lot was unpaved and spaces marked with telephone poles.
We later graduated to Swami's and Trestles.
I've body surfed the Wedge, but that's some real work!!!

For Italian food, try Busalacci's in Hillcrest or some of the small places around Columbia Street east of Laurel.
Also, you have to get a Carne Asada burrito from Roberto's or Alberto's! It's one of the few things I miss since moving away.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw 18 foot surf at Ocean Beach a couple of weeks ago.  Also at Boomer Beach in La Jolla.

This nifty chart shows the size, period, and direction of the surf:

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Just kidding...just kidding...

Quoted:

Nevermind then.

How tall do you feel?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Bush's fault
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
if you really want to test your swimming skills head up to the Wedge in Newport. If there is an offshore swell, the Wedge used to hit about 30' when I would catch it

That ain't shit at the wedge, you have to have a good 10-20 knot off-shore wind blowing to keep the waves up.

I still have jetty rock scars on my legs and arms.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if you really want to test your swimming skills head up to the Wedge in Newport. If there is an offshore swell, the Wedge used to hit about 30' when I would catch it

That ain't shit at the wedge, you have to have a good 10-20 knot off-shore wind blowing to keep the waves up.

I still have jetty rock scars on my legs and arms.

... As good a trip this was, after a week, it's good to be back home in the desert. I took this pic Saturday when the surf was fairly high (for the area)

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a pic from just a couple of days ago of the waves and my neice.  Giant pic warning.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Winston_Wolf: Your lady friend is very pretty.

The huge waves are due to the a storm in the Pacific and is not uncommon around So. Calif beach areas  I was in Marina Del Rey a few years back, they have a breakwater in the middle of the harbour and you can see the huge wave splashing on it.  Awesome sight.  BTW: some stupid people actually stand so close to the breakwater that a rouge wave has actually washed them into the ocean and some people have drown.

Pfffttt....I didn't drown.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top