Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 6:37:36 PM EDT
Brilliant engineer here has made the colossal mistake of NOT labeling the wires before tearing it all apart.

Now I am all confused about which wire goes where (colors do NOT 'match' up), have tried several combinations.  Already tried putting the old one back 'the way it was'.  No go.

I also have a hammer but not sure if that would be helpful .

Thanks for all your input.

edit: house built in late 50's

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]

No, the instructions are no help!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a heat pump or regular a/c?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
First thing you have to do is see what color wire goes where on the furnace. Usually red and white is the heating circuit, the rest might be the cooling. Hook the red to R and White to W, and see if it works, put the therm on heat/auto. Power up AFTER the wires are hooked up, not before. Is their batteries in the therm? If so you usually have to pull a tab out before it will work. Give more info as you get it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you have a heat pump or regular a/c?

Both in one unit!  (Must have been done the Arfcom way )
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a website and telephone number listed in your thermostat.  Give the web site a shot.  It might contain a wiring diagram.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have an airhandler inside and then an outside unit as well or is it all a "package system"
since you live in Florida I will asume you dont have a furnace.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You should get the indoor fan motor to run before turning on the heating element whatever you do.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you have an airhandler inside and then an outside unit as well or is it all a "package system"
since you live in Florida I will asume you dont have a furnace.

The condenser/fan outside -- everything else in the Kitchen area (right, no furnace)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that black wire a "jumper" between red and Rc?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
That one looks just like the one I installed in my houae not but 2 months ago. Red should be hot, White runs to the heating relay or valve coil, Green should be to the fan relay, and the blue on yours probably replaces the yellow on mine and runs to the Cooling contactor coil... Mine was fairly plug andplay... worked the first time... If you still have the old T-stat you may be able to look at the contacts vrs the lettering on the old unit and decifer which is which.... the above is the best info i can come up with other than calling honeywell..

Edit: Leave the black wire there. It is intended to jump the red wire on a four wire system. A 5 wire would require it be removed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah he is right about the colors, I have'nt seen blue before, must go to the comp. I dont think you have a heat pump or there would be a wire for the reversing valve, probably orange.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That one looks just like the one I installed in my houae not but 2 months ago. Red should be hot, White runs to the heating relay or valve coil, Green should be to the fan relay, and the blue on yours probably replaces the yellow on mine and runs to the Cooling contactor coil... Mine was fairly plug andplay... worked the first time... If you still have the old T-stat you may be able to look at the contacts vrs the lettering on the old unit and decifer which is which.... the above is the best info i can come up with other than calling honeywell..

Edit: Leave the black wire there. It is intended to jump the red wire on a four wire system. A 5 wire would require it be removed.

MODEL:  RTH6300B

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
viper should be right

white normally heat
green fan
yellow normally to out side ac ( maybe blue on yours)
red common
on heat pumps the blue is the reversing valve
black sometimes is the power to the ac side when it is a 5 wire system
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I think red might be his power for t-stat, also known as common
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
you can always jump wires out to see what comes on

red to blue should get the compressor to run
red to white should get the heat to come on
red to green should run the fan
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Did it work with the old t-stat?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Hunter Thermo. It shows that a jumper is needed between the Rh & Rc posts on a four wire heat / cool system.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Or check where the thermostat wires connect on your furnace/AC/heat pump and copy the colors & connection labels off of there.

I'm assuming W=W, G=G, and R=R, but that should explain the BL.

Make sure the same color wires are going to the same terminals in the thermostat, and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
you can always jump wires out to see what comes on

Yes --- red to blue should get the compressor to run
?? -----red to white should get the heat to come on
Yes --- red to green should run the fan

?? YES -----red to white should get the heat to come on

The others were quick and then I left it wired together.  Took about 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
He sure has been quiet, hope we didnt get him zapped! well, t-stats are only 24 volt
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#21]
oh, there he is
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#22]
What happened with red to white?????
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#23]
make sure the indoor fan is running when you turn on the heat element
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He sure has been quiet, hope we didnt get him zapped! well, t-stats are only 24 volt

I did get a little shocker before, but I think all the stars lined up for that one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok.  

Looking at first picture:

G - Green wire

W - white wire

Y - blue wire

R - red wire

R/Rc - jumper wire (factory installed, never messed with it)

Which is what I had!!

I think this thermostat is tempermental (maybe just mental).  pun intended

When I switched Fan from 'Auto' to 'On' it didn't turn on (the condenser outside would run, when I set it to cool but the fan would not run in either setting)

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#26]

w00t!

Victory!

I'd like to thank all those who participated in the making of this straight-to-internet drama:

MyakkaVice

fxntime

Gaelic_Warrior

viper5194
(special mention:  provided the 'schematic')

scotty1911
(special mention:  expanded on the schematic and basically confirmed that nothing would go into orbit if I connected wires to each other directly)

SeaClass

Tango7

Enough 'Oscar' speech?

thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]
and use the hammer a few times on your left hand to remind you to remember to label next time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Need some additional help.  Ran fine once all hooked up according to replies.  Then quit in the middle of the night.

Shorting the red to the green no longer kicks the fan on.  

Condenser/air unit outside runs though (when shorting red to blue)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#29]
might be the relay that runs the fan, most likly a conqinkydink
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
might be the relay that runs the fan, most likly a conqinkydink

The brilliancy of  Arfcom!

There is one relay that pushes on a clacker with two little ceramic rods (this all snaps together).  Seems it was getting (got) a bit loose and pushed itself up enough to prevent enough travel in the rods to actuate the clacker.

A little persuasion later and it all works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top