Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think the Mini-14 has had a serious upgrade since the Ranch rifle series was introduced in (I think) the late 70's.   Kind of a long time for basic product improvement to go waiting isn't it?  The AR has gone from the Colt Sporter to the M-4, and just about any caliber you can think of in that time frame.   The Mini is a great idea and a very poorly executed  concept.

For that matter has the 10-22 been improved?  The first one I bought in 1974 is identical to my sister's bought in 2003. (though hers has three times the trigger pull)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You people crack me up. Sometimes I wonder if you even own firearms and are just repeating something you read on "the internet".

There is nothing wrong with Ruger politics past

What rock did you crawl out from under?  

IIRC they call it either DU or troll rock

Or maybe they call it someone who knows more than you two.

Larry,you are well known for your defense of bill ruger,all most as well known for that as your smart ass remarks.Where sir is your proof that bill ruger didnt have a hand in the 1994 AWB?From everything I have read he was very instrumental in it.Please before you respond,read this link,it even has footnotes of were they have gotten their info.Read here.And before you say it,no I wasnt present when bill ruger made his remarks,but neither was I there for the sighning of the declaration of indepence
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You people crack me up. Sometimes I wonder if you even own firearms and are just repeating something you read on "the internet".

There is nothing wrong with Ruger politics past

What rock did you crawl out from under?  

IIRC they call it either DU or troll rock

Or maybe they call it someone who knows more than you two.

Larry,you are well known for your defense of bill ruger,all most as well known for that as your smart ass remarks.Where sir is your proof that bill ruger didnt have a hand in the 1994 AWB?From everything I have read he was very instrumental in it.Please before you respond,read this link,it even has footnotes of were they have gotten their info.Read here.And before you say it,no I wasnt present when bill ruger made his remarks,but neither was I there for the sighning of the declaration of indepence

Where is your proof that he did?  Something besides an article besides Neal Knox, which is the same old link that everyone posts.

Everything you have read is internet "I read this.....I read that........".

Do you buy Glock or S&W?  If you do, you are being hypocritical.

Smartass remarks seem appropriate for those who keep repeating this about Ruger, yet can offer no doucmented evidence.

The footnotes provided nothing but more speculation, told us about Hitler and Quisling.  Boy, some proof.

1.- Vidkun Quisling (1887-1945) was a twentieth-century Norwegian politician, an intelligent and hard-working head of Norway's home-grown form of Nazism, the Nasjonal Samling (National Unity) Party. While he also fancied himself a philosopher, he went so far as to urge Hitler to invade his country in hopes of becoming Norway's supreme leader.

On 9 April 1940 Hitler did just that. And Quisling got his wish... for precisely five days before being placed in a figurehead position while one of the Nazis own actually ran the country. Within months of the war's end, Quisling was tried executed by firing squad. And a new word entered the dictionary, not only in English, but in many other languages as well, synonymous with traitor.
2.- This ban became permanent on 7 July 1989, and affected virtually every Kalashnikov, H&K 90-series, Galil, Uzi, Valmet, SIG 550-series, etc.
3.- This quickly led cynics in the firearms community to speculate as to Ruger's true motives, for one of the major competitors to his then new P-85 series of pistols was the Glock 17, the only pistol around (other than the scarce and unwieldy Steyr GB) with a greater than 15 round magazine capacity. Some are still convinced that this was at the root of his actions.

Same old shit, still no documented evidence.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you read the link?As I posted,they had footnoted lots of other sources besides Neil Knox.Again,I was only born in 1973,wasnt around for the moon landing by Neil Armstrong,but from all the research I have done,man has indeed set foot on the moon
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you read the link?As I posted,they had footnoted lots of other sources besides Neil Knox.Again,I was only born in 1973,wasnt around for the moon landing by Neil Armstrong,but from all the research I have done,man has indeed set foot on the moon

Those footnotes provided exactly nada, zip, zero, as noted above.

I noticed that you skipped my question to you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Have I purchaced glock in the past,yes.I wanted another 40 pistol a few weeks ago,and bought a springfield xd partly because of glocks politics.Ok,you seem to be up on all things bill ruger,where did this rumor start?I called bullshit on it when I first read it too,untill I did a google search and read site after site about his actions.Exactly how did you personally disprove that bill didnt stab us in the back?Besides the fact that Neil Knox is one of the many that reported it.Lots of people called bullshit on the Monica Lewinsky baby gravy stained dress at first cause it was reported on Drundge,but that seemed to have turned out to be true,at least as far as I have been able to determine
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The Mini-14 has a almost legendary reputation.  For good or ill is up to the user to decide.

The magazine reliability is not a problem now that there are a lot of manufactures making new mags for the Mini-14.  There are still issues, and buyer beware but its not so bad lately

The bad barrel on the Mini-14 is a problem.  I don't know if its the thickness or the material or both that causes the horendous whip.

Older Mini's were generally held to be 4-6 moa guns.  After retooling the machines that make mini-14's Ruger got the accuracy down to 2-3 moa, which is similar to what the very first mini-14's were.

If ruger would put a thicker barrel on the Mini-14, and I mean the entire barrel, not just past the gas block, you would have a much more accurate weapon.

If the Mini-14 would shoot 1-2 moa out of box, no one would care if it is or is not 5.56 chamber, crome lined or that it is using non-mil type mags.  Price at 450 to 500 and you are good to go.  Any higher is not justified.

Hell the Keltech SU-16 shoots 1-2 moa out of box and its a cheap gun.  WTF is wrong with Ruger?

Oh yea civilians don't need assault rifles, yet they can't bring themselves to just scrap the gun all together.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
For those who may not know, Ruger recently announced that they have retooled their Mini-14 and Mini-30 lines, and claim improved accuracy:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/P-CategoryRiflesCA.html

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5802&return=Y

Reviews should be appearing in this month's gun magazines.  I've not yet read an independent range report.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok Larry,here is a link about an interview your hero did with tom brokaw on NBC news,I read the article twice and there was no mention of the evil Neil Knox.Also you havnt answered my question,were is your proof he wasnt instrumental in the 94 AWB
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok Larry,here is a link about an interview your hero did with tom brokaw on NBC news,I read the article twice and there was no mention of the evil Neil Knox.Also you havnt answered my question,were is your proof he wasnt instrumental in the 94 AWB

You are the one making the accusation.  You prove it. The burden of proof is on the accuser.

Again, another article.

I do know that Ruger tried to compromise on the AWB, instead of altering the guns (ARs included), just limit the mag size.  His proposal was 15 rounds, not 10.

All he suggested was to leave the guns alone (all guns) and just limit the mags.

He tried to compromise and if you go read your original link, he said that from the AWB, he learned that you cannot compromise with those people.  He spent the rest of his life fighting them.

The guy who posted that webpage is a raving lunatic.  Go back and carefully read the whole thing.  I know for a fact that Ruger NEVER suggested a 10 round limit.

As for the Mini not being on the ban, well gee, the standard models were not even close to the parameters laid out.  It DID affect the ones that were made with folders and flash suppressors.  It also affected (during the ban) whether you could put a flash suppressor or folder on it.  To say that it was not affected is just self-serving bullshit on the writer's part.

This guys says he saw Ruger say that on Brokaw.  Again, not evidence.

The clown says that he can prove everything he says on that web posting, yet he did not do so.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Mines a fun plinker.

If you love the Mini-14 style and don't mind spending enough to get an AR you can get a new barrel for it from Shilen.  

Go to prices page and look for Mini-14 near bottom:

www.shilen.com
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Have I purchaced glock in the past,yes.I wanted another 40 pistol a few weeks ago,and bought a springfield xd partly because of glocks politics.Ok,you seem to be up on all things bill ruger,where did this rumor start?I called bullshit on it when I first read it too,untill I did a google search and read site after site about his actions.Exactly how did you personally disprove that bill didnt stab us in the back?Besides the fact that Neil Knox is one of the many that reported it.Lots of people called bullshit on the Monica Lewinsky baby gravy stained dress at first cause it was reported on Drundge,but that seemed to have turned out to be true,at least as far as I have been able to determine

I read all kinds of bullshit on the internet as well.  It does not mean it is true.  Neal Knox is the ONLY one that has reported it.  All the rest are regurgitations of his article.

Monica's dress actually turned up.  That's proof, internet ramblings are not.

Again, you made the accusation, now prove it.  As for me proving something, how does one prove that one did NOT do something?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is another one,no mention here of the hated Neil Knox.And if you bother to even read the article,the source they list is American Handgunner.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here is another one,no mention here of the hated Neil Knox.And if you bother to even read the article,the source they list is American Handgunner.

Magazine articles and internet postings.............blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Once again, you link to an article that makes accusations, but does not prove them.

I know, it's on the internet, so it must be true.

You have yet to PROVE anything, you know, documented evidence.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok,you said to post from a source other than Neil Knox.Larry is everyone that calls out bill ruger a raving lunatic?You say he tried to compromise,I say he stabbed us in the back on the AWB.I guess its just how you look at it.I dont know,I guess you are the kinda guy that dosnt believe things unless you were standing right there,maybe not even then.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
before the ban during or after ruger will not sell me a hi cap mini 14 magazine
so fuck um
I haven't had a smith in years mainly cause i just do not like them
I have not bought a Glock since i learned of their ballistic finger printing BS
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok,you said to post from a source other than Neil Knox.Larry is everyone that calls out bill ruger a raving lunatic?You say he tried to compromise,I say he stabbed us in the back on the AWB.I guess its just how you look at it.I dont know,I guess you are the kinda guy that dosnt believe things unless you were standing right there,maybe not even then.

You can say he stabbed us in the back all you want, it does not make it a fact.  If his proposal was the AWB instead of what finally came out, there would be not 10 round limit and no postban/preban bullshit.  They would have left the actual guns alone.  After it sunsetted in 10 years, we go back to 20 and 30 rounders.  That is a lot simpler that having to convert postban to noban config and several states would not have the ban in effect they have now since they all modeled them on the Fed ban.  They would still just have a mag limit ban of 15, instead of the silly shit they have with the postban rifles and 10 rounds.

I would rather there not have been an AWB at all, but since it was gonna happen regardless, I would rather have dealt with a 15 round mag limit than all the other bullshit.

They may not be raving lunatics, but they haven't proven their claims.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
before the ban during or after ruger will not sell me a hi cap mini 14 magazine
so fuck um
I haven't had a smith in years mainly cause i just do not like them
I have not bought a Glock since i learned of their ballistic finger printing BS

Good for you.  At least you are remaining consistent, unlike some others.

I can get Ruger factory 20 rounders all I want from CDNN.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Magazine articles and internet postings.............blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Once again, you link to an article that makes accusations, but does not prove them.

I guess we could dig him up and ask himDude,its late,I am tired,I aint gonna aurgue in circles with you anymore.Maybe you think that an honest man dosnt need more than a ten round mag like your hero.You win,go tell your grandchildren you once again successfully defended billy rugers honor

BTW by your logic,the things you posted are bullshit cause there on the internet,so I dont know what to believe
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we could dig him up and ask himDude,its late,I am tired,I aint gonna aurgue in circles with you anymore.Maybe you think that an honest man dosnt need more than a ten round mag like your hero.You win,go tell your grandchildren you once again successfully defended billy rugers honor

BTW by your logic,the things you posted are bullshit cause there on the internet,so I dont know what to believe

I have not posted links to articles as you did, so WTF are you talking about?

Prove he said any of that.  You can't.  You just keep repeating the same old, unproven, bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Um... Not to get in the middle of this, but how exactly is a person supposed to prove their point or argue their point without quoting articles or some form of published information.  Short of being a personal friend of Bill Ruger's it would be pretty hard to know what he did or didn't do with the AWB without reading articles...

Anyway, in response to an earlier poster's question about Ruger's new designs, I did notice Ruger is really a 10/22 rifle now with a longer barrel.  I think it was in response to the huge aftermarket for 10/22 upgrades.  I wonder if they still have the same horrid trigger as the 10/22's I had in the mid-1990's.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Um... Not to get in the middle of this, but how exactly is a person supposed to prove their point or argue their point without quoting articles or some form of published information.  Short of being a personal friend of Bill Ruger's it would be pretty hard to know what he did or didn't do with the AWB without reading articles...

Anyway, in response to an earlier poster's question about Ruger's new designs, I did notice Ruger is really a 10/22 rifle now with a longer barrel.  I think it was in response to the huge aftermarket for 10/22 upgrades.  I wonder if they still have the same horrid trigger as the 10/22's I had in the mid-1990's.  

Because magazine articles, especially undocumented articles, prove exactly nothing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top