Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 2:08:17 PM EDT
I have Cor-Bon 135 grain .40 ammo that I don't shoot, just keep in my gun for SHTF, but I've been concerned as I've seen a few rounds that seem to have had the bullet seat further in the case, I guess from loading and unloading them a number of times since I've had them.

That seems like a dangerous situation, a bullet seating further in the case, like a dumb ass I did shoot one that looked like that, but it didn't feel any different or Kaboom my Ruger P94, but I feel like maybe I should just shit can that ammo and use something else before something bad does happen.

What is the recommended defense .40 ammo these days?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That was REALLY dangerous.  The .40 S&W is a high-pressure round to begin with, and even a little set-back can cause a KB.  There were several KB's a few years ago due to thin casings on federal ammo and repeated rechamberings.  Maybe someone will post the link as I can't remember it.  General rule is that after a couple of rechamberings, rotate the round to the bottom of the mag.  Also shoot your SHTF ammo occasionally, both to make sure it works and so that you can rotate fresh rounds in there now and again.  

As for the best ammo, see the ammo forum.  The best loads are generally Federal Tactical, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger in 180 grain versions.  

Not trying to be a dick, but you have to be cautious with those things.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
When it first came out, CorBon was unique because many of the major manufacturers hadn't started coming out with their premium self defense lines of ammo yet. It was sort of rare to see +P+ ammo in general circulation. Since then, everyones gotten on the bandwagon. CorBons not bad ammo, but its far from the only game in town anymore.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, so it's not junk, that's good.

It's my improper handling that's caused the seating issue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OK, so it's not junk, that's good.

It's my improper handling that's caused the seating issue.

not necessarily improper handling, just handling- it would be hard to load a mag or chamber a round without putting pressure on the bullet forcing it into the case further- just a reason to keep ammo rotated through every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, any ammo will do this.  Just rotate your ammo every few months. Shoot it up and replace it.  That way you have fresh rounds that you know aren't damaged yet, and you can get used to any difference in recoil or point of impact with your defense ammo.  The price of a tank or two of gas every three months or so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess I need to shoot my corbon .45 230 gr hollowpoints off and buy some speer gold dot.  Anyone know where I can get +p+ gold dots in 200 Gr?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
To answer the question asked in the thread title, yes, Corbon ammo is junk.   I've had so many problems with their ammo, I dont even look at the Corbon shelf at the gunstore.  FTF, FTE, the lead has fallen out of the bullets while in the magazine, accuracy was deplorable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
double tap, please delete.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
To answer the question asked in the thread title, yes, Corbon ammo is junk.   I've had so many problems with their ammo, I dont even look at the Corbon shelf at the gunstore.  FTF, FTE, the lead has fallen out of the bullets while in the magazine, accuracy was deplorable.

I have NEVER seen the lead "fall" out of a bullet in my life. EVER. Unless you have actual pics I'm not believin it. Corbon is decent ammo but it is a bit dated.  The .45 stuff works pretty good on deer from actual use by me. Corbon DID use a pretty big HP design that was not best feeding tho. Looked almost like the flying ashtray design.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't shoot ANY ammo that the bullet is shoved back in the casing, just thousands of inch can make for thousands of pounds per inch more pressure!!!

Other than that If you can afford it Cor-Bon makes some great ammo!! I really like the Expander ball ammo, The best of FMJ feeding and Hollowpoint expansion you can get.

It is the combat practical accurate ammo i've ever fired from my .45's!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to carry corbon all the time,but that was until I found some split cases (in unfired ammo)this was relatively new ammo and I have never seen new ammo with split cases before. I also reload and have found the corbons cases to be thin and I stopped buying the stuff and will not use it again. Now I stick with Federal Hydroshocks and have no problems.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The only Cor-Bon ammo that I have fired was 9mm
in a chinese Tokarev. The trigger slap was brutal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I used to carry corbon all the time,but that was until I found some split cases (in unfired ammo)this was relatively new ammo and I have never seen new ammo with split cases before.

+1  Saw some pics of this on another site.  Scary.

rj
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1

Horrible accuracy in my 10mm Glock. It even managed to jam the un-jammable a few times.

I'd never buy a box again and I'd certainly never trust it with my life!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#17]
corbon sucks, rangers, gold dots and golden sabers are a much better choice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
There was a guy on here awhile ago that posted his encounter with several guys who tried to rob or do harm to him and his lady friend. If I remember correctly he shot at least 2 guys and I think it killed both of them. He was using corbon either .40 or .357 sig.  Seemed to work great for him. Maybe someone else knows the story and can post it...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have NEVER seen the lead "fall" out of a bullet in my life. EVER. Unless you have actual pics I'm not believin it. Corbon is decent ammo but it is a bit dated.  The .45 stuff works pretty good on deer from actual use by me. Corbon DID use a pretty big HP design that was not best feeding tho. Looked almost like the flying ashtray design.

I didnt have camera at the time so no.  I did however have lead come out of the jackets in my old Para Ordnance.  I heard something rattleing in the mag, dissassembled it, and found chuncks of the lead from the Corbon ammo I was shooting.  Dont believe it?  Oh darn, I really give two shits what you believe.  I like how you dont addressr the other problems I've had with CB.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I've shot a box of +P .45ACP in my Glock 30 without problem.  It certainly was more accurate than the red box Federal ball ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Corbon myself.  And I shoot it occasionally to rotate it out.  I've also seen instances where the bullet was jammed back into the case, and I toss those rounds immediately whenever I see them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didnt have camera at the time so no.  I did however have lead come out of the jackets in my old Para Ordnance.  I heard something rattleing in the mag, dissassembled it, and found chuncks of the lead from the Corbon ammo I was shooting.  Dont believe it?  Oh darn, I really give two shits what you believe.  I like how you dont addressr the other problems I've had with CB.

Actually yes I did, FTF was mostly because of the bullet design, especially on the older stuff. It was very wide and could be problematic. FTE, I did not, however I never had a problem with FTE in either 9mm or .45acp. The brass was never a problem as far as I could see. It could be that the firearm had a weak recoil spring tho, or a extractor that was just a bit worn and due to the faster slide velocity, problems occured. Like I said also, I have never seen a JHP shed pieces of lead from inside the cavity. Now if it was swarf, I COULD see that. I've found pieces once or twice from other ammo where a bit was left after it was pierced or punched. Heck, the "dot" from a gold dot is nothing more then a bit of the jacket matl.

I don't use Corbon anymore for CCW, there are better designs out there now, but in its day it was the civi version of +p+ police ammo that was difficult to find and buy[9bple]. It was better then a lot of the standard 115 grainers and the 147s at that time were pretty crappy, They almost never expanded and trundled along at velocities that a 185+P .45 could beat. Besides super vel, Corbon was one of the few companies that sold hi speed ammo to civis without a lot of BS. Most of the larger ones were absolute pricks about it at that time.

We screwed around a bit with a dead deer [road hammered] and found that the stuff actually fragged or expanded pretty well. Remington HPs were pathetic and most of those just zipped thru just like a FMJ. Like I said, In It's Time it was pretty good ammo, now it's pretty well dated because the larger ammo companies pulled their heads out of their asses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top