Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 12:45:23 PM EDT
Damnit. Finishing the basement and doing the drywall. Totally sucks ass. Anyways, tried doing the ceiling. I just dont have enough lead in my ass to haul the 4x8 sheet up the ladder and screw it on by myself.
Had to cut them into 4x4's.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you finish you get to keep your man card.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Chuck Norris just looks at dry wall with a grin and the dry wall lifts and nails its self to the ceiling.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have rented a drywall jack...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Chuck Norris just looks at dry wall with a grin and the dry wall lifts and nails its self to the ceiling.

I need a qoute. Putting sheetrock on the ceiling definately ranks way down there with things like colonoscopy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you using a deadman? Why dont you get some help?

Drywall sucks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#6]
This is why they make drywall jacks that you can rent.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I screwed up one sheet (2 peices).

I'm thinkin real hard about getting a drywall lift.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Drywall sucks.

Then texturing must blow right?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

WTF???!!!! Where the hell you guys come up with all this Norris shit ? That shit cracks me up
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop thinking, and go get it.  Valuable time's a wastin'.  If you don't hurry, one of your ARFCOM brethren will rent every single one in a 100mi radius just to keep you from getting one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Man card surrender is not indicated in this scenario.

A man improvises, adapts and overcomes using not merely his physical strength but also his mental prowess.   You overcame an obsticle, and assuming you properly tape and mud that sucker, the overall work product will still be oustanding.

Your man card would be subject to action if:

1.  You made your wife/girlfriend help you lift that drywall.

2.  You gave up and called someone to do it for you.

3.   You "half ass" the tape/mud part of the job and give it anything less than your level best.

4.   You tried to lift the whole sheet and broke it in half because you weren't smart enough to cut it in half.  

I'd say you're doing just fine.

Besides, its really a sum-bitch trying to lift those fuckers up.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop thinking, and go get it.  Valuable time's a wastin'.  If you don't hurry, one of your ARFCOM brethren will rent every single one in a 100mi radius just to keep you from getting one.

And while hes busy gloating at all his drywall jacks I'll take my ass to the range.

Someone PLEASE rent them all.......
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I did the ceilings in my moms house with 4x12 SR by myself, started out using a 2x4 tee to hold one end up while I screwed in the other, but I finaly broke down after bout ten sheets and went and rented a lift, lots easier and faster.

MLW>"<

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drywall sucks.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF???!!!! Where the hell you guys come up with all this Norris shit ? That shit cracks me up

Chuck Norris pulls his shit out of his ass.  Then he tells those of us that he has not killed, to post it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#16]
don't you have any friends?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chuck Norris will crack you up!  Remo Williams cracks up Chuck Norris (upside the head).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Hope you are using 1/2 inch on the ceiling.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a drywall finisher by trade. (9yrs)  This is what I suggest

1.   If you can't find any help get a drywall jack/lift or whatever you call them (we don't use them)

2.  Don't cut the sheets in half, you will kick yourself in the ass when you have to finish all those    joints, finishing 4x8's sucks bad enough.

3.  screw this list just IM me and I will give you any advice /tips or asnwer any questions you have.

Even when you drywall for a living it still sucks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
pfffffffttt

i just hire illegals to do it for me

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am a drywall finisher by trade. (9yrs)  This is what I suggest

1.   If you can't find any help get a drywall jack/lift or whatever you call them (we don't use them)

2.  Don't cut the sheets in half, you will kick yourself in the ass when you have to finish all those    joints, finishing 4x8's sucks bad enough.

3.  screw this list just IM me and I will give you any advice /tips or asnwer any questions you have.

Even when you drywall for a living it still sucks

This man truly knows what he is talking about. Probably the only job I walked away from with a smile on my face.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

He hasn't mentioned the  key to getting help, "I am doing some sheetrock and I have plenty of BEER".  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He hasn't mentioned the  key to getting help, "I am doing some sheetrock some home improvement and I have plenty of BEER".  

If you mention sheetrock, no one will come.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Nah, we don't need to punch your man card for that, you didn't give up, you improvised.

Don't ask the wife for help, get a jack or get a 12 pack and call a friend.

Drywall is a two man job.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drywall sucks.

Should've known I'd run into you and Specop_007 on this thread.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I kind of like hanging it. I don't really like to mud it. I absolutely hate sanding it.

I have used the 2*4 T method because I am a cheap ass.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drywall sucks.

It was meant to be.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#29]
It's better to have help. Better than that have someone else do it.

If you must do it by yourself, this is how.

Put a block or even a couple of big nails 3/4" below ceiling in wall framing or top-plate. Put one edge or end of sheet on this supports and lift other edge or end up to ceiling, wedging it up with a couple of "T" bars. Adjust as needed and fasten dry-wall.

"T" bars are just 2 by 4's with a 2" cross bars. Sometimes I put a couple of small nails in the top and cut the heads off leaving about 1/4" sticking up for traction on sheet rock. They should be just slighty longer than floor to finished ceiling height and if that dimension varies a lot, use shims on floor end as needed.

With 12' sheets you do need two people.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drywall sucks.

It was meant to be.

It's just not the same when it's not a hijack, though.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/wise_jake/hostage_threadheld.jpg

IIRC, Specop was in on that thread a little later on.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Got the 12 pack and the lift.

Hell with friends, the beer's all MINE.

And this lift is the cats ass. Beats the hell out of musclin up the sheets.

Even with beer and lifts, it still sucks. Badly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a couple of brothers that work for me that are simply amazing.  They are around 5'-4", weigh less than 150 lb. each, yet put their stilts on and fingertip 5/8" x 12' board all day long on 10' ceilings.  Beats all I ever seen.  A couple of real money makers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have a couple of brothers that work for me that are simply amazing.  They are around 5'-4", weigh less than 150 lb. each, yet put their stilts on and fingertip 5/8' x 12' board all day long on 10' ceilings.  Beats all I ever seen.  A couple of real money makers.

I never did get the hang of those stilts. Busted my ass many times.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1

And as it's a TOOL, you still can keep your man card.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a couple of brothers that work for me that are simply amazing.  They are around 5'-4", weigh less than 150 lb. each, yet put their stilts on and fingertip 5/8' x 12' board all day long on 10' ceilings.  Beats all I ever seen.  A couple of real money makers.

I never did get the hang of those stilts. Busted my ass many times.

I put in many days on stilts myself learning the ropes of the trade.  After about 5 years of working my tools on commercial jobs, not including my childhood residential days as I helped Dad, I figured I would rather use my head than back the rest of my life.  

I never did some of the crazy things those two brothers I speak of do on a regular basis.  Heck, one day show up on the job and they have double layer wood blocks of 2"x4" screwed to the bottom of their stilts for additional height!  Skyjacker stilts to begin with!  I had to make them use scaffolding that day.  I couldn't stand to see them get hurt.  They are great little workers, as well as great people to boot.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top