Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:27:52 AM EDT
What do the US forces use for hearing protection on active duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I remember that after the "BlackHawk Down" incident in Somalia several of the soldiers had permanent hearing loss, so I was wondering what (if any) protection was offered to the troops.

Of course whether they have time to take 30 seconds out to put in the plugs is another matter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.rangerjoes.com/military-issue-ear-plugs-p-715.html

I recommend Peltor ComTacs or (my choice) Sordin Supremes.

I have seen anyone actually use those USGI earplugs except in basic training.

In general, the Military gives out disposible yellow foam earplugs.

During combat, no ear plugs are used..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Rarely does anyone wear hearing protection.

There is some experimentation going on with the type based on those small electronic ones that hunters use.  The ones that only block out the louder sounds, but allow quieter ones to still pass.  Hopefully ones that are durable and comfortable enough can be developed. Hell, the cost would be made up by the reduction in tinitis claims. Most of which AREN'T BS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Im deaf now..........
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I recommend Peltor ComTacs or (my choice) Sordin Supremes. Link

+1

The MSA/Sordins kick ass.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recommend Peltor ComTacs or (my choice) Sordin Supremes.

I have seen anyone actually use those USGI earplugs except in basic training.

In general, the Military gives out disposible yellow foam earplugs.

During combat, no ear plugs are used..

The only time I ever used them (the foam, because no one uses the rubber ones after Basic/AIT) was during jumps because the C-141 had such a high pitch. Even then, the first thing I did after the chute opened was to pull them out and toss them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top