Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 11:50:10 AM EDT
I think I'm hooked.  I bought Black Rifle, Black Rifle II, SPIW: The Deadliest Weapon that Never Was and their M14 book.  SPIW mentions an EM2 book (also on the back of the dust cover).  That or the FAL book(s) will probably be next.  What are your favorites (aside from the Black Rifle books)?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I got Sturmgewehr-From Firepower to Striking Power a few months ago. Astonishing good account of how the Germans went about developing the Assault Rifle concept and how they got them into the field in the form of the MP-43. If Black Rifle put the beat-down on the full-power cartridge dinosaur boys, this book shovels the dirt into their graves and gives it a few pats with the spade to make sure thay stay down. I've got my eye on the War Baby! book about the M-1 Carbine; but for +$60 I want to see it first.

By the way, where did you get SPIW? I contacted Collector's recentlyand they said they had no plans on re-issuing it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I watch the used book sites, like abebooks.com.  Do an advanced search for publisher, sort from cheapest to most expensive, and search from there.  You can sometimes find one of these books for 20 bucks or so.  Got a half dozen, and ALL of them are superior arms books.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The FAL book is awesome. If you are into the history of it, it's fantastic. All the models, modifications, changes through the years, both metric and inch, etc...highly recommend it.

I need to buy another copy, as my Dad snaked mine
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
abe has two copies of SPIW...both over $100
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
abe has two copies of SPIW...both over $100

Yea, $100 seems to be the going rate.  I was quite happy to find one for $56.  It is perfect, too

IIRC the latest FAL book includes all of the three previous FAL volumes.

I think I will take pogo's advice and buy them in the order I find great deals on them.  I really want the EM2 book.  I'd like more infor on the British studies leading to their selection of a 7mm round.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
MG34-MG42 German Universal Machineguns by Folke Myrvang.   A fantastic book.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Shit, they're great books....big bucks, but worth the money...I've got...

Black Rifle II

Bren Gun Saga

Grand Old Lady of No Mans Land (Vickers)

Backbone of the Wehrmacht (98k)

Death from Above (FG-42)

Rock and a Hard Place (BAR)

MG-34 and 42 book

Sturmgewehr

Hitler Garands (G-43)

and a few others I am forgetting....great books!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#8]
The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol was the first one I bought in 1984.  Also recommend The Guns of Dagenham (Sterling).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top